Join Early Retirement Today

Roku sticks it to Google...
Old 03-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roku sticks it to Google...

I almost bought a Chromecast, but I was waiting for the next gen Apple TV. Maybe I'll get this instead of either...
Quote:
Roku's new Streaming Stick takes on Chromecast: $50, HDMI-compatible, 1,200 apps (hands-on). What do you get for the additional $15 (over Chromecast)?

Includes a traditional remote and an onscreen interface. It's a pretty standard Roku remote, and it works via Wi-Fi Direct, so it can still control the Streaming Stick when it's hidden behind your TV.

The other major perk over the Chromecast is you get access to all 1,200 of Roku's apps, or "channels" in Roku's parlance. This includes nearly every major service -- such as Netflix, YouTube, HBO Go, Amazon Instant, MLB.TV, Showtime Anytime, and PBS -- as well as a huge number of niche content sources. While the Chromecast has added some crucial apps since its launch (including HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Pandora), it still can't compare to Roku's sprawling and frequently updated library.

Additionally, free Roku iOS and Android apps can be used to stream Roku content, and the company will also let mobile device users cast content from smartphones and tablets, including Netflix, YouTube and personal media. A future update will also bring support for beaming content from a computer to the TV.
Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI Version)

Roku Streaming Stick release date set for April, as pre-orders begin | BGR

Roku Streaming Stick - Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, and this is all good, but we have three Roku boxes between two households and all we can do is watch old Netflix or Amazon movies, old TV re-runs, old news practically no sports (unless old) and have a bunch of channels (I'll call them that) attempt to suck us into paying for their old content.

So with this thing we can stream old stuff to our TV? Why?

The original remote works just fine, or I can make the Roku work right from my android tablet.

I think the Roku has worn out its welcome with my family.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks, and this is all good, but we have three Roku boxes between two households and all we can do is watch old Netflix or Amazon movies, old TV re-runs, old news practically no sports (unless old) and have a bunch of channels (I'll call them that) attempt to suck us into paying for their old content.

So with this thing we can stream old stuff to our TV? Why?

The original remote works just fine, or I can make the Roku work right from my android tablet.

I think the Roku has worn out its welcome with my family.

You pretty much describe the entire category, including apple tv and chromecast. We have 2 rokus, and apparently use them for more than you do, like Amazon movies. Red box also has an app on roku but we have not tried that yet. If I were a cord cutter, I would pick up Hulu. we also watch some You tube on roku, plus some of the new shows. my wife likes the old 48 hours shows from CBS. Plus some of the cooking shows. The Roku 3 is head and shoulders above the other models of Roku.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote