Join Early Retirement Today

Ross Perot
Old 07-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
gone traveling

Ross Perot

A great american dead at age 89, RIP.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad. I remember as a kid my old man voting for him over Bush Sr.
JakeinChina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was a strange man at times but did love the country...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Great guy. I voted for him.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

I knew he wouldn't win, but voted for him because I liked his approach. I also agree that he was in it because he loved the country and didn't much like how it was being run.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I knew he wouldn't win, but voted for him because I liked his approach. I also agree that he was in it because he loved the country and didn't much like how it was being run.
Same here. It was my first election and I was more engaged than ever; it was fascinating to watch. There is no doubt in my mind that his running for president (in '92) shaped this country more than he is giving credit for.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great guy. I voted for him.
I agree, so much! I was living in Texas at the time, and thought his independent, maverick style embodied much of what I like about Texas and Texans. Anyway I really wanted to vote for him, but when it came right down to election day, I voted for a different candidate. I felt like since Perot wasn't supported by either major political party, voting for him would be throwing my vote away.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I remember watching the TV series Halt and Catch Fire in which the mainframe portion was supposed to be Ross Perot in EDS days. Great guy. Cared about America more than politics. RIP
Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember him on TV with charts on poster boards. Sad to hear of his passing.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
gone traveling

Since no one mentioned, "On the Wings of Eagles" novel by Ken Follett. Perot also is known for executing a mission to rescue two off his employees who were taken hostage in Iran.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just thought of Perot yesterday while reading one of the frequent posts around here that predict massive inflation due to the Federal debt. I thought to myself, been hearing that since Ross Perot and it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, I am a deficit/debt hawk (for reasons other than potential inflation) and am glad he brought the issue to the nation's attention.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back in 2001 I was an Aide-de-camp for a General Officer at the Air Force Academy. Mr. Perot was coming for the dedication of the BG Robbie Rysner statue and the reunion of the Hanoi Hilton survivors. I spent 3 days with him ensuring his visit went well. He did not want the attention on him but rather the other guests. Starting with his lodging he refused to take the suite and just wanted a regular room. If someone was talking to him he would put the attention back on the POWs. They told stories about their time in the military and some of the funny things that happened when they returned home.

One story he talked about was during his service when his ship was transporting troops to the combat zone he was the junior officer and assigned the additional duty to conduct Sunday services. He said the first part of the trip every Sunday the fan tail was full with worshippers. Half way over the mission was over and everyone stopped attending. He just laughed and said he guessed his service wasn't that good.

I saw him dance with the cadets at a formal ball. He was the hit of the party. He told great stories and what a conversationalist. As he was waiting for the dedication of the statue while setting in the green room I asked him about NAFTA and his "Giant Sucking Sound" comment of jobs leaving the US. I asked him "Did you make money off NAFTA?" He just smiled and made a joke. Clearly a patriot but also well schooled in economics.

During the weekend I was talking to his secretary who had been with him for many years and was actually with him when they went into Hanoi to get the POWS. I never knew he was on the plane and how the North Vietnamese messed with them on their way in.

She was also with him on the campaign trail. She said he wanted to do everything himself like going to the rental car counter and getting his car. She also said he always called people that he met and helped him the next day but during the campaign he didn't have time. He spent a lot of time after contacting people and thanking them.

The day he left I was coordinating the arrival time to get to his jet and we were a little early. I told him that we had more time due to the take off window. He said well take off when I get there lol. At the airfield he gave me a tour of this plane and was hamming it up with the pilots. They loved working for him and talked about how wonderful of a man he was.

The day after he leaves I get called into the generals office. He says you need to take a phone call from Ross Perot. I thought to myself right. Sure enough he talked to me for 45 minutes thanking me for everything I had done, how he enjoyed his trip, and how he enjoyed my family. He said if you ever need anything you have my direct number and give me a call. I thought that was extremely thoughtful but never a call I would make.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

While he seemed unlikely to win, I do recall that at the time, I thought the debates were much more productive than if he hadn't run. He pretty much forced the other candidates to talk about substantive issues, rather than all the stuff they like to talk about that doesn't mean one wit to the future of our country.

For that, he has earned my respect and gratitude. RIP.

I also recall his running mate, probably a great guy, was just out of his league in those debates. But he came up with a great line, as they threw barbs at each other - "I feel like I'm at a tennis tournament (or ping-pong game?)!".

Well, that's at least as I recall it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

JDARNELL, great story and glad you told it. Some of us (me included) didn't know much about the man behind his name.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
Back in 2001 I was an Aide-de-camp for a General Officer at the Air Force Academy. Mr. Perot was coming for the dedication of the BG Robbie Rysner statue and the reunion of the Hanoi Hilton survivors. I spent 3 days with him ensuring his visit went well. He did not want the attention on him but rather the other guests. Starting with his lodging he refused to take the suite and just wanted a regular room. If someone was talking to him he would put the attention back on the POWs. They told stories about their time in the military and some of the funny things that happened when they returned home.

One story he talked about was during his service when his ship was transporting troops to the combat zone he was the junior officer and assigned the additional duty to conduct Sunday services. He said the first part of the trip every Sunday the fan tail was full with worshippers. Half way over the mission was over and everyone stopped attending. He just laughed and said he guessed his service wasn't that good.

I saw him dance with the cadets at a formal ball. He was the hit of the party. He told great stories and what a conversationalist. As he was waiting for the dedication of the statue while setting in the green room I asked him about NAFTA and his "Giant Sucking Sound" comment of jobs leaving the US. I asked him "Did you make money off NAFTA?" He just smiled and made a joke. Clearly a patriot but also well schooled in economics.

During the weekend I was talking to his secretary who had been with him for many years and was actually with him when they went into Hanoi to get the POWS. I never knew he was on the plane and how the North Vietnamese messed with them on their way in.

She was also with him on the campaign trail. She said he wanted to do everything himself like going to the rental car counter and getting his car. She also said he always called people that he met and helped him the next day but during the campaign he didn't have time. He spent a lot of time after contacting people and thanking them.

The day he left I was coordinating the arrival time to get to his jet and we were a little early. I told him that we had more time due to the take off window. He said well take off when I get there lol. At the airfield he gave me a tour of this plane and was hamming it up with the pilots. They loved working for him and talked about how wonderful of a man he was.

The day after he leaves I get called into the generals office. He says you need to take a phone call from Ross Perot. I thought to myself right. Sure enough he talked to me for 45 minutes thanking me for everything I had done, how he enjoyed his trip, and how he enjoyed my family. He said if you ever need anything you have my direct number and give me a call. I thought that was extremely thoughtful but never a call I would make.
Thanks for sharing that...very cool memories of a very cool dude.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted for him against everyone's wishes that I not throw away my vote. My vote. Great man. Rest in peace.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Since no one mentioned, "On the Wings of Eagles" novel by Ken Follett. Perot also is known for executing a mission to rescue two off his employees who were taken hostage in Iran.
Note: This was a non-fiction book, not a novel.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
gone traveling

Ross was also IBM's greatest salesman ever. He was given a yearly quota and would beat it in a week. They kept doubling his quota and he kept beating it in record time, and that went on for quite a while. He then went on to found EDS and ran for president 2X. I remember the short book he wrote on the evils of the deficit where he explained everything in layman's terms. Not sure if I still have the book somewhere in my library.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Note: This was a non-fiction book, not a novel.
Thats correct, it was non-fiction.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Perot, whom I voted for twice, cemented my independent, outlier streak although I didn't become a registered Independent for a few more years. RIP Ross Perot.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote