Join Early Retirement Today

Rotating Flavorizer Bars
Old 06-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Rotating Flavorizer Bars

Just set up my Weber gas grill for the season (getting all the parts out from the box I put them in last fall). Some of the flavorizor bars are much more rusted than the others, and I'd like to rotate them so that they all rust out at the same time.

Do you think that the ones over the burner rust out most, or the ones near the center that get dripped on more
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rotating Flavorizer Bars
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny you wrote this.
DW just announced that she wants the new bars - old are rusted.
We had the Weber Spirit since 2000 and it's in use year around.
The most rusted bars are in the front, where we typically grill our stuff.
We rarely use the back burners and the bars there are considerably less rusty.

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

304 stainless steel...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
304 stainless steel...

I just put one of those together for the FIL a few weeks ago. If I recall, some of the grill surfaces are cast iron-like material and not stainless steel (could have been a little bit different model though).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
304 stainless steel...
Used in the finest-quality naval nuclear propulsion high-pressure primary piping systems...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I just put one of those together for the FIL a few weeks ago. If I recall, some of the grill surfaces are cast iron-like material and not stainless steel (could have been a little bit different model though).
Mines 100% stainless. I used to buy "throwaway" cheap grills and toss them every 3-4 years instead of replacing the grills and burners (and cleaning them out :P), decided to get this one and keep it a while. Its pretty easy to clean.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stainless flavorizing bars are available for Weber grill too (standard ones are "porcelain coated steel"). About $50 vs. $25 for my grill (Spirit 550).
Nevertheless, you can trust trust "old sailor" about one thing: stainless steel isn't

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys. I think I'll get another season or two out of these (gotten seven seasons so far!). I can't see any disadvantage to the rust, since the food doesn't touch them.

I'm impressed with the Weber Spirit. The igniter rusted out after one season, and I've needed to do some repainting, but it works as well as it did when we bought it.

Tip Concerning Propane Tank: When the tank is too rusty to use anymore, you can exchange it at one of those places for people who don't want to bother with refilling their tanks.
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indexter
Tip Concerning Propane Tank: When the tank is too rusty to use anymore, you can exchange it at one of those places for people who don't want to bother with refilling their tanks.
Also a good way to get rid of tanks that have the "old style" valve on them...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Otherwise, I get mine refilled at U-Haul for about $8.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Eight bucks is pretty cheap. I just had mine refilled at uhaul earlier this week for $14 a pop.

Rust is good for you. Nothing like a good iron supplement...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, it was last fall; probably higher now...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yep...there you are...it was under ten bucks for me last year too. When i paid the bill I started doing the calculations for how expensive grilling is getting... :P
Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The house I bought 4 years ago had a built in grill. The grill was rusted very badly and after a few uses the valves leaked enough to catch fire. I tried to find parts to repair it but the grill was over 12 years old and no old parts were available. I am too cheap to buy a whole new grill so I am using my 10 year old Weber that I have rebuilt 3X so far. I guess someday I will "invest" in a replacement built in but it has to fit the available space in the built in island (tile and brick) after the Weber dies again. I just don't want to pay the $XXXX it will cost to do that. But....the empty island looks pretty stupid so we keep it covered. Someday I guess.... :