Round-the-World

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was PM'n another poster about this method of seeing the world and thought some others might find it interesting.

http://www.airtimetable.com/star_alliance_around_world_fares.htm

For the price of a ticket you are sent round the world (one direction only) and can stop at up to 15 places and take up to a year to do it.

If you have creativity you can actually fly 50-60 flights to get to these 15 places. Depends on if you like to see interesting flight crews, etc. For instance, to Beijing, flying from SF requires you to first fly to Tokyo, then to Beijing, then back to Tokyo and then onto wherever. One city stop but 3 flights, some take more.

Nothing like getting on an Air Mongolia flight and the person beside you has a freshly severed Yak head for carry-on. Or Air Chile and everyone is doing coke.

The cheapest place to purchase these tickets is Thailand.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Billy,
good to see you online.  I agree, these tickets really vary in price depending where you buy them.

I always fly Thai and I could live in the Royal Orchid Lounge in Bangkok.  Good food and nice loungers.
Cheers

Billy, another subject.
Any tips on airline upgrades. I was told that arriving early in casual dress and being demure would generally get an upgrade to a higher class, since it balanced the plane.??

wow, that's amazing. i had no idea such a thing existed. thanx for posting. so far it's ok but i can see once i start traveling i'm gonna really like not working.

Billy said:
The cheapest place to purchase these tickets is Thailand.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Thanks for the headsup. Might take advantage of this while i'm in Thailand and am ready to move on out of general region.

LG4NB,

It's awesome because doing one of these trips every few years after retiring and a person could see the world in-toto.

Plus the Frequent Flyer mileage accrued gets you more and more trips.

I made Executive Premier for about 6-8 years and wow, upgrades every trip.

And by the way. I used to call Saffron, a young Australian working in the ticketing center in Dublin. Great conversation and she knows the rules and how to use em.

"Billy, another subject.
Any tips on airline upgrades.  I was told that arriving early in casual dress and being demure would generally get an upgrade to a higher class, since it balanced the plane.?? "

I have heard the same, but have never had any luck with that. btw, every Thursday in the BKK Post there's a travel page where these flights are advertized. Yesterday the price for economy was 80,000 Baht....BUT! and this is BIG...on all of these tickets it depends on the number of stops because airports have departure taxes which vary, plus all of the other taxes that go into tickets these days including the fuel tax.

So, you need to plan carefully. We have looked into these a couple of times, but have not yet used them. The thought of finding some great place then having to leave just because you have a ticket to move on is not our style. And, one year can go by very quickly.

I do know people that use these and love them.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Billy said:
So, you need to plan carefully. We have looked into these a couple of times, but have not yet used them. The thought of finding some great place then having to leave just because you have a ticket to move on is not our style. And, one year can go by very quickly.

Very good point.

Hey,

I've travelled all over on business, including round the world several times, but spending a year traveling around the world on MY schedule and terms has always been a fantasy. And there are lots of different fares (one way, circle pacific, mileage, different "alliance" deals, etc.) with different prices and restrictions for doing it.

Anyway, I recently came across a great website that displays and explains all these round the world fares (including their advantages and disadvantages, prices, etc. for different itineraries): http://www.airtimetable.com/Around_World_Airfares.htm.

Hope that works.

Back
Top Bottom