Rules of Thumb

"Don't get your meat where you get your bread and butter" - advice form an old engineer to me as a new young engineer.

Or the related "Don't fish off the company pier"

The thing about liars?....They lie. And cheaters?.....they cheat. Count of it.

Some Presidential wisdom

quote-never-kick-a-fresh-turd-on-a-hot-day-harry-s-truman-64-67-82.jpg

Never go out to the car before the woman has left the house.
I ask my wife how long she needs. I get fully ready, then start doing something (like folding laundry)...if I'm not standing at the front door when she's ACTUALLY ready, she gets upset for me making her wait!:LOL:

all things in moderation. Including moderation.

there are 2 kinds of people. those who think there are 2 kinds of people, and those who know better.

beer is good, vacation is quality of life.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

You can't live a champagne life on a beer salary.

Always hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Trust...but verify.

Never get in a fight with an ugly guy. They’ve got nothing to lose.

Wise men speak because they have something to say;
Fools because they have to say something.

Plato??

If I knew I was going to live this long,
I'd have taken better care of myself.

Mickey Mantle

Last edited:
Kudos

Never get your honey where you make your money.

Now THAT is a great one!

On a serious note, I'd say" Never do business with family or friends (or loan money to either). This is a "YMMV" rule but my "regret rate" over 53 years on violating this one is about 99%.

Always put your "stuff" in the same place every time you come home (I have ADHD and have never lost my wallet or phone or pistol simply by following this rule. I HAVE left the house without one or more of these, but ONLY when VIOLATING this rule)

NEVER EVER set down anything valuable on your vehicle, even for a second
When hooking or unhooking a trailer to your vehicle don't let anyone or anything distract you. Do all steps (ball, chains, electric, jack) at once and don't pause (and always put a chock behind the wheel before you UNHOOK)

The less contact you have with any of these people the better your life will be.

In no particular order

1. Police
  2. Firemen
  3. Lawyers
  4. Salesmen
  5. Drunks
  6. Drug Addicts
  7. Salesmen
  8. Soldiers
  9. Security Guards
  10. Financial Advisors
  11. Psychiatrists
  12. Salesmen
  13. Contractors
  14. Preachers
  15. People that wear political slogans on their clothing
  16. Anyone that owns a gun
  17. Parole officers
  18. Judges

PS I may have missed salesmen.

Now THAT is a great one!

On a serious note, I'd say" Never do business with family or friends (or loan money to either). This is a "YMMV" rule but my "regret rate" over 53 years on violating this one is about 99%.

Oh! Perfect for this board -- a personal rule of mine is "never loan money (that you expect to see again)".

It was "never loan money", because if someone needed help and I thought they were in a bad spot despite being generally responsible and prudent, I would pay a bill or buy them food, but those same responsible people usually wanted to pay me back. If they still wanted to after I told them they could just pay it forward, I would call it a loan for their sake, but consider it a gift in my head.

Back
Top Bottom