Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The folks we know that have had buyer's remorse after purchasing an RV were all folks who envisioned that their RV would be a simple and easy replacement for staying in quality hotels and they'd save money. Wrong.......

Or, they are folks who mis-matched their interests with the type of RV they purchased. It's not a one-size-fits-all endeavor.

DW and I are campers more than RV'ers. Until we purchased our hard-sided pop-up, our experiences were primarily canoe-camping in remote areas such as the BWCAW and Quetico Provincial Park. Age got to us so we opt'd for a relatively inexpensive camper with a cult-like following of enthusiastic owners. We could afford a diesel pusher, but that's just not us. We purchased a product that matched our interests and desires.

We just finished our 7th season. Trips last from quick over-nighters to 6 week expeditions. We bought what works for us and have no buyers remorse.

When folks talk up their RV style as though anyone doing anything else is wrong (their way is the only way for everyone), you can be sure they're not good folks to get advise from concerning what you should do. 5 star hotel, motor home, trailer, tent....... whatever works for what you like to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010098.JPG (439.8 KB, 62 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We did meet a couple with big time buyers remorse.

They'd just bought a 44' toy hauler and a brand new F-350 diesel. Guy told me he was telling his buddy how he'd gotten such a great deal financing the whole deal. His buddy mailed him a Dave Ramsey book.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The folks we know that have had buyer's remorse after purchasing an RV were all folks who envisioned that their RV would be a simple and easy replacement for staying in quality hotels and they'd save money. Wrong.......

Or, they are folks who mis-matched their interests with the type of RV they purchased. It's not a one-size-fits-all endeavor...

When folks talk up their RV style as though anyone doing anything else is wrong (their way is the only way for everyone), you can be sure they're not good folks to get advise from concerning what you should do. 5 star hotel, motor home, trailer, tent....... whatever works for what you like to do.
I had not even camped in my life prior to buying an RV. That tells you how urbanized I was. Well, come to think of it, I did sleep a couple of nights under a tent when I was young, but I never really thought of it as camping.

Anyway, one day I drove by an RV dealer, and this was on a highway that I traveled on often to/from my 2nd home, and wondered what RV'ing would be like. The next time, I pulled in to look at their travel trailers. Then, I realized there were many forms of RVs, and I needed to understand the difference between them. And so, I surfed the Web, read about people's experience, and learned about the gray and black tanks, pitfalls people made, etc...

When I bought mine, and took it out for the 1st trip to a state park, I hooked it up, then later dumped the tanks like a pro.

I still like to do fly-and-drive trips, and overseas travel. And I will even do the cruise thing once in a while to keep the missus happy so she will go on cross-country RV treks with me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
...We could afford a diesel pusher, but that's just not us. We purchased a product that matched our interests and desires...
It is important to buy something to match your travel style.

Now that I know more about RV'ing, being into the 7th year of owning this class C, I am more and more certain that I can go smaller but not bigger. I prefer to have mobility. I already can camp out at my high-country home, so when I do RV'ing, I like to go see new places. I would stay at one location for a few days, then take the toad to do day trips or excursions. So, that works out well. A smallish travel trailer may work for me too. A class B would also.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Growing up we always had a truck and travel trailer, dad didn't want an engine setting unused. Plus the tow vehicle can be used without disturbing camp.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My first RV was a Class C purchased in 1999 and we kept it for 10 years. No problems other than a pesky leak that even a new roof ($3000) didn't fix.

My second and current RV is a gas powered 2011 35 ft Class A Winnebago. Minor problems to date. I keep in covered storage and I recommend this if you purchase.

Unlike cars, buying new is not the best way to buy. New RVs have their problems and many times the first owners will spend thousands on extras like sway bars, steering stabilizers, gas grills, etc. When you add in the fact that the first owner has absorbed these costs and the first year depreciation, I'd recommend a 2-3 year old model versus new.

If you go above 35 feet in length, you'll exclude yourself from many of the beautiful state and federal parks.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Rent one for your first trip. My BIL always dreamed of buying an RV and traveling the country after my sister retired. He rented a fancy one (pulled by a truck, expandable sides) for a trip out West with my Dad and hated dealing with it- and this is a guy who'd been a long-haul trucker so he knew his vehicles. He was horrified at the low mileage his truck got while pulling it, had lots of problems getting it hooked up to electrical, etc. Not sure of all the specifics but that was the end of that fantasy.

It seems a lot of people struggle like the example above. You have to get it through your head that you don't buy any type of RV to save fuel. You have to be realistic, RV's are big and heavy and have the aerodynamics of a Saltine box. Of course your mileage will suffer. If you want to save gas buy a Prius and a tent. Also, if plugging in an extension cord perplexes you it might be best that you stay in a hotel.

Whenever RV'ing comes up the argument about staying in a hotel seems to follow right along with it. The two methods of travel are not even comparable. In an RV you can basically stay anywhere either highly remote areas or a larger city. The five star hotel plan forces that you stay in a more populated area. It depends on your interest but I think most people are looking for the RV option so they can get out and enjoy nature, tough to do in a large city in a five star hotel. The hotel option affords you the opportunity to sleep in a bed that thousands of others have used as well. There is convenience and value to having your own food, bed and bathroom with you wherever you go.

If you have never owned an RV you may feel buyers remorse if you don't educate yourself of all its systems. You will have to be proficient in troubleshooting and repairs and be able to do those repairs yourself. It's just not practical to hire someone for all of the repairs.
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

That is another good point. When we do stay in a hotel, even though we are full timing in our RV now, I just don't enjoy it. Even at a 3 star hotel (which is at least $100 a night) the rooms always smell of something just under the odor of the cleaning agent. I look at the bed and try to hope they actually changed the sheets (even with the sheets changed, what about under the sheets or on the top blankets?) Shudder.

RV has a lot of positives in addition to the obvious expense and downsides.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post

Whenever RV'ing comes up the argument about staying in a hotel seems to follow right along with it. The two methods of travel are not even comparable. In an RV you can basically stay anywhere either highly remote areas or a larger city. The five star hotel plan forces that you stay in a more populated area. It depends on your interest but I think most people are looking for the RV option so they can get out and enjoy nature, tough to do in a large city in a five star hotel. The hotel option affords you the opportunity to sleep in a bed that thousands of others have used as well. There is convenience and value to having your own food, bed and bathroom with you wherever you go.

I get your point but I don't think people are looking at 5* hotels as an alternative, just nice clean hotels. There are plenty of those in resort areas. They usually aren't in the middle of the woods, but can often be a short drive from there.

An RV in a large city? Sure, you can probably find a place, but almost never in the areas you'd want to visit, and driving in a city to get to a place to park it is it's own challenge. Staying in a WalMart parking lot may be convenient and necessary but I don't think it's anyone's dream vacation.

A sleep sack might be the answer for anyone creeped out by staying in a bed others have regularly used.

"Value" is probably not a word I would use except maybe for full-timers. A trailer probably has more value, but has even less appeal to me for driving around and parking.

I get the attraction, and sometimes I think I'd like an RV or trailer, but when I really think it through, I see it's most likely not for me. Earlier this month I did a race where I had to stay in a hotel 1/2 hour away, but could've parked an RV within a few yards of the start/finish. (Tents were also allowed but sleeping outside in below freezing weather isn't a good pre-race strategy.) But on the drive there, sharing a busy interstate with trucks and driving the curves and hills of the WV turnpike, I was glad I had my small SUV rather than a bigger rig. A Class B is probably the biggest I'd have wanted, and those just seem too costly. But man, post-race sure would've been a nice time to have my bed right there with me!

As you say, it depends on your interests.
Quote:
I think most people are looking for the RV option so they can get out and enjoy nature
I think I'd alter this to say that people who stay with the RV option do this. Many people who are looking for the RV option have this dream of freedom from hotels and restaurants and the convenience of bringing home with them. Many find that the costs and inconveniences and work involved is not with it. I suspect I'd be in the latter group, which has kept me from seriously looking at an RV.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

WE have had other threads about this and we regret buying a 27 ft used motorhome. First of all only certain newer vehicles can be towed so you need to buy one that can be towed or buy a really old car. Or buy a tow cart that cost 4k. When we went to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons had to rent a car because it is too big to drive around. We mostly take trips that involve a lot of driving and it costs a fortune. We want hookups and want to be close to what we are doing so on a month trip a year ago between gas and rv sites we spent 6k. The national parks were expensive with YS being 55/night and GT 75/night.I cooked most of our meals.We wanted to be able to take our 4 dogs so it did solve that problem. However, many rv sites only allow 2 dogs. We are the 3rd owner and no one has used it much as it has 42k miles on it and is 23 yo. We were going to sell it but then my DH got a job that will be out of town for a year so now we will keep it so he can live in it. After that job is done then we will sell. Yes things have broke and we have fixed them which is not cheap. If we had rented one and took a month trip we would not have bought one. However, since we paid 14k and have another 4k into it this was not a huge mistake. WE met people last year that live in them f.t. and love it. But these people did not travel the country. They stay in Denver for summer and in the south for winter. That way they rent by the month which is a lot cheaper and on;t spend much on gas. If we had a reasonable spot a few hours away we would park and leave it like someone else on this forum does.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

We can't even camp so an RV is like outer space to us--we're never going there. But....

If someone always wanted to own an RV and didn't get one even though they could afford it and were looking forward to the experience and dealing with whatever issues might occur--that could be worse remorse imo. Which would you regret more? The heart wants what the heart wants.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We can't even camp so an RV is like outer space to us--we're never going there. But....

If someone always wanted to own an RV and didn't get one even though they could afford it and were looking forward to the experience and dealing with whatever issues might occur--that could be worse remorse imo. Which would you regret more? The heart wants what the heart wants.
Now that is a good point of view!

(up to a point! Don't go buying a Prevost with half your net worth).
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Comparing RV'ing and staying in hotels is like comparing home cooking and restaurant dining. I do all 2, er, all 4. They are different, and the more you can enjoy, the more options you have. Wine, cognac, gin, eaux de vie, or whiskey? All of the above please, and I just learned to enjoy tequila.

I started out with a generic class C, and never felt I had to upgrade. I had to buy a towable car, and installed the towbar myself. Then, I found out that I had to install beefier shock absorbers, a rear sway bar, and a track bar, to prevent the dog from being wagged by the tail. I installed a solar panel and a charger, a 2KW pure-sine-wave inverter. I did a lot of addons, like LED lights, electric element for the water heater. I fixed a myriad of little things. Yes, it's like a house, actually a bit worse considering the relative size. If one is not handy, prepare to pull out your checkbook often.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do many folks here use their RVs as a way to visit their kids/grandkids in another state? If so, do you park it at a relative's house and use their electricity/water or use a nearby campground?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

WE have parked it at kids/friends home and used their electricity. Depending on how long we stay we treat them to some nice meals out as repayment. But we never stay longer then a week in one spot.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

So I have made a decision...NOT to buy. At least not now. I talked to my sister who will also be retiring early in three years. She loves the idea of an RV, she is clean, neat and responsible. The vehicle she has now is 15 years old, and runs well due to her careful maintenance. She is single and owns a home (of considerable value because it is downtown in a major Canadian city). Her dream retirement is spending the winters in South America (she visits there every year at the same place) and stay in Canada in the summer. What we are thinking is we will SHARE an RV, split the purchase price maintenance and insurance. She will use it in the summer (she plans to sell her home upon retirement)...I will use it in the winter and be a Canadian snowbird and visit the southern states to escape cold Canadian winters. I ran the numbers, and this makes more sense regarding affordability. And it is a win/win situation.

edit to add:
My husband (who is VERY mechanically inclined) and I own three acres in town, and have a restored barn on the property (now a guest house) with a large covered patio with a roof that the RV can stay during the winters. So the RV would have a home base, and a large property for my sister to stay for an extended period of time if she wishes.
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Excellent. As other posters have noted, an RV needs to be used and checked up upon. Long periods of neglect can lead to costly repairs. By sharing, it is cost effective, and the RV is taken care of.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We will do the homework together. I have three years to educate myself. Hopefully neither of us have buyers remorse. Best case; we love the RV and keep it a long time. Worst case; we try it for a few years, and if we change our mind; sell it.
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
With respect to all my time and labor helping my two, non-mechanic type, friends with their $4,500 "find" above, they said DW and I can use the RV anytime we want when it is available. When I asked DW if she would be up for going to a state parks to camp for a few days in the RV, she said her idea of camping is staying in a 4 star hotel.
Ditto for my wife's view of "roughing" it. I

I thought about RV'ng but a little of research told me that I am not cut out for it. As I grew older, I, too, can't stand "roughing" it. It's too much work vs enjoyment.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
We will do the homework together. I have three years to educate myself. Hopefully neither of us have buyers remorse. Best case; we love the RV and keep it a long time. Worst case; we try it for a few years, and if we change our mind; sell it.
I suggest you begin your education on this forum. iRV2 Forums
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote