I own an RV and am happy with it 37 35.24%
I own an RV but wish I didn't 0 0%
I don't own an RV and have no plans to get one 38 36.19%
I don't own an RV but would like to buy one sooner or later 26 24.76%
I have not given this matter any thought 4 3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a Winnebago Rialta, which we bought so we could travel with our pets. It's only 22 feet and so really quite small. The good news is it gets 18 mpg to 20 mpg on the open road.

We found that we stay in it generally in National Parks and the rest of the time on the road we stay in hotels.

Not sure that really qualifies as RV'ing...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just bought this little number 2 mos. ago.

Not my video, just found it on YouTube.

Been campin' twice in it, so far. Before that, it was always in a tent, ever since I could remember as a kid. Always went campin' at least once a year for about a week. Some more as a teen with friends. Never in any thing like this, this is a nice upgrade. Tow vehicle ('05 Tacoma) went from 20 MPG to 10 MPG, but we haven't gone more than 200 mi. away yet; don't plan to. Gas and campground fees was about $60 for this past weekend.

Kids had the most fun this summer, so far. Frogs, bugs, stream to swim in, afternoon art, evening bluegrass-type music, campfire, a playground, walks, good food.

Base price was $10k for the Wildwood 18BH X-Lite. `bout $11.5 k after tax, shipping to the dealer, battery, gas, "prep.", etc. Cheapest, used lite model I could find that was worth considering was $12k and didn't sleep 6. (The video for the X-lite claims 7 - maybe kids.) Manuf. specs. said 6.

Couple more weekends of campin' planned. Gonna wait until it cools down some, although the A/C works fine. Just don't enjoy sitting in it all day in the woods or sweating all day. Should've gone to the lake this particular past weekend, not the river. Spring and fall are more my "outdoors activity" temperatures.

-CC
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #43

I have one, and one of these days I'm going to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 (3).JPG (55.6 KB, 3 views)
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
You need a bigger truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv truck.jpg (9.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #45

Bought a 28ft travel trailer three years ago. We split time between it and the lake house when the kids are not in school. I also use it for fishing trips. Yes DW lets me take trips without her and the kids some.

The first year we just took short trips of 200 miles or less and probably use it about 40 days that year.

The second year we went out West, Middle and Northern routes. We covered around 8300 miles over 43 days in it and had a blast. We also took a few short trips during the spring, fall and winter in it for a total of about 60 days use that year.

This year we again went out West, California and Southern routes in it. We covered about 6700 miles in 36 days this time. We also used it in January and Spring Break so far this year about fifty days.

The kids at this point really like it as we do and we have some incredible memories now from the trips to date.

Not saying it is cheaper or more expensive to travel this way but we like it a lot.

It doubles as another bedroom and bath at the lake house when we are not traveling.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You need a bigger truck.
I just picked up a Hensley hitch, so I'm still spending money on the RV. Just before we planned to take our first trip the motor went out on the truck, so we were not able to go

So after having a new motor installed in the truck, we are going to have to make due with what we have.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #47

Quote:
I just picked up a Hensley hitch, so I'm still spending money on the RV. Just before we planned to take our first trip the motor went out on the truck, so we were not able to go

So after having a new motor installed in the truck, we are going to have to make due with what we have.
Have you had your trailer weighed fully loaded with all your camping gear? I noticed on another thread your truck is rated for 7,000 lbs and that baby looks like it might be more than that - especially once you get some groceries in it.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm guessing that is 28' and will gross around 8000 to 9000lb. Was eyeballing it compared to my 24' Argosy. On flat land you might be ok, getting into the mountains not so ok.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #49

My concern would be more about stopping it than pulling it....
Old 07-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Ya, that is the problem.

My expereience, if trailer brakes are good and adjusted fairly tight, the trailer can stop the whole shebang. Would not want to rely on that exclusively.

A minor glitch in the electrical brake circuit and one is SOL. Big time.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Have you had your trailer weighed fully loaded with all your camping gear? I noticed on another thread your truck is rated for 7,000 lbs and that baby looks like it might be more than that - especially once you get some groceries in it.
Truck and trailer weighed 10540, truck alone weighed 5840, so trailer weigh's 4700. The trailer has aluminum skin on both inside and out and aluminum studs between. The floor and cabinet doors are the only wood in the trailer.

The trailer wasn't fully loaded, but I still have some room to spare.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My concern would be more about stopping it than pulling it....
What do you call that in Texas, All Trailer No Truck?

Luckily, no one was hurt.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Luckily, no one was hurt.
Assuming, of course, adequate insurance.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I once owned a '69 Apache pop-up, which I eventually donated to The Salvation Army. Thinking about a small hardside or maybe one of Rich's Trailmanors, since I don't want to buy a 3/4-1 ton pickup, and can't really afford a RV. TBD...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Truck and trailer weighed 10540, truck alone weighed 5840, so trailer weigh's 4700. The trailer has aluminum skin on both inside and out and aluminum studs between. The floor and cabinet doors are the only wood in the trailer.

The trailer wasn't fully loaded, but I still have some room to spare.
That is surprising, it is lighter than my 24' aluminium trailer. Ditto on material inside and out, including ribs.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't have one, but we've thought about it for years. Just saw Sarah's RV. It's pretty tempting, he says as he sits in a merely half decent hotel room. I think it would be a lot of fun, and we could take the dogs instead of kenneling them. We don't currently have anywhere to keep one. So camping is still in a tent, and travelling is still hotel based for now.
Dang show-off with your fancy hotel room while the rest of us got carney feet with the hippies. But we do get to have later nights!

And as for Ha's question--our 1976 Argosy (Airstream) motorhome is a source of continuous joy to me and a source of moderately sporadic maintenance for DH. But mama's happy....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't spent a night in my very new to me van rv but I think I will like it so I voted that one. It's all legal now & clean so I'm packing it up for trip half way across the country with my 2 cats who hate each other. It didn't look dirty but 7 buckets later, it looks a lot better. Plus I found some things that needed fixing.

Birch cabinets in mine too. Digital Tv stereo, the works. Most hotel room don't have all the stuff in mine.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm packing it up for trip half way across the country with my 2 cats who hate each other.
What could possibly go wrong?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What could possibly go wrong?
Yeah ... what? The wrong one gets lost? Harnesses, leashes, crates. Hope this works.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Yeah ... what? The wrong one gets lost?
Gotta ask... Would that be one of them - or you?