Join Early Retirement Today

S. CA is on fire!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

S. CA is on fire!

abc7.com: Southern California Fires: Evacuations and Closures

there are fires to my north, east, west and south my car was covered in dust/ash this morning.

my younger sister is packing up and going to hang out at a friend's house.

the winds were insanely bad last night. we were in anahiem for dinner and it was like we were in a tropical storm w/out the rain.

i've seen it this windy about once every decade or so - the santa ana's are a familiar annual occurance - but this is really bad!

the winds are up to 100 mph last nite in some parts about 50-80 everywhere else and just sending the embers all over the place. i can't imagine what those poor firefighters are facing. it seems much calmer today, at least where i am, but the winds are supposed to be around at least until tomorrow...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #2

To many people from Peoria, this is justice and comuppance for the perceived sins of the Hollywood lifestyle.

I might comment though that the fires are indeed severe, however they are mostly confined to canyons and nearby mountains. The fire crews (I'll bet) will see to it that few structures will burn. The fallout from the smoke will be alot worse than the fires for almost everybody.

So if you can choke through a day or three of local news entertainment then I suspect that you will come out just fine.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #3

i'm generally of the opinion that there are some places that shouldn't get developed and malibu burns every year and the taxpayers pay too much to stave the fires off the mansions and i'm sure it affects all of our insurance rates as well...

but these winds are nuts! and embers are flying everywhere, humidity is like 2-3% (usually 30-40% around here) so it just feels a bit unnerving. there is usually a fire or two at a time, there are a dozen or so up here and about 5-7 in san diego county...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are benefits to living in a climate with rain.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have been watching the fires on CNN (took the day off for other reasons).

I sincerely and fervently hope that none of those we "know" on this board are in danger, and that none of their ER plans are in danger either, from these fires!!

Bright Eyed, be careful!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bright-eyed, we are in Irvine and the smoke is REALLY bad. The fire, which apparently is an arson fire , is about 3 miles from our house. It looks like it's more contained than it was last night, so we're not too worried, but if this fire crosses Portola Road and goes west a bit, it would hit some VERY densely populated areas.

I agree about the Malibu bit. There was talk on the news about several of the Orange County Fire Dept. sending crews to help on the Malibu fire and now we have fires here!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #7

oooh wander! be careful, the smoke is bad over here and i'm many miles from the closest one (at least 30)...part of the reason my sister left was more the smoke. i don't know how this will affect my daughter's asthma!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ouch...
My in-laws in Rancho Bernardo (SD) evacuated couple hours ago...
They had many close calls in the past I think it is the first time they were asked to go.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have friends in SD and told them that the only thing on the news was the Malibu fires. My question is, Are Paris and Britney impacted?

Seriously though, I hope everyone gets out of this in one piece. And I hope that people think twice about rebuilding in a fire zone (or pay higher premiums.)
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Seriously though, I hope everyone gets out of this in one piece. And I hope that people think twice about rebuilding in a fire zone (or pay higher premiums.)
Lots of very expensive, very attractive residential real estate in those canyons. Don't worry, it will be rebuilt!

Ha
Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
. i don't know how this will affect my daughter's asthma!
I have asthma and smoke usually bothers it . I'd keep her inside and close your windows until this gets contained .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm amazed at the number of people that have been told to evacuate here in the San Diego area. Large swaths of suburban areas relatively close to the coast have been evacutated. Very strange.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
My question is, Are Paris and Britney impacted?

Paris is on fire but Britney is only smoldering.

Per the fire zone, the insurance companies wanted to raise the rates to actually reflect the risk that these homes take on being in natural fire-sweep zones like canyons and mountains. However our legislature decided that this wasn't fair so now everyone subsidizes these (often upscale) properties so that their fire insurance premiums are "reasonable".

Some of these homes have been rebuilt 3 or 4 times after a different fires sweep through. The owners then just take the fire insurance money and rebuild....

So guess who is paying for them to live in these fire-prone zones.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people that have been told to evacuate here in the San Diego area. Large swaths of suburban areas relatively close to the coast have been evacutated. Very strange.
I just heard 250,000 people evac'd in San Diego!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Lots of very expensive, very attractive residential real estate in those canyons. Don't worry, it will be rebuilt!

Ha
Much like the rebuilding from hurricanes. If it's a pretty area, people will come back.

Good luck to everyone out that way!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

This fire in San Diego is way beyond million dollar homes on the edge of a canyon. We lost power today for an hour, downed power lines everywhere, one fire just missed us, but believe me, the bags are all still packed and in the Jeep with a full gas tank. One of the fires is headed directly to where Tori rides horses, I hope they got them all out.

We have friends who bought a home in a quiet little town just east of us called Ramona, they've been forced to evacuate. They have no idea if they still have a home. I have many friends who I have not been able to reach and I've seen footage on T.V. of houses burning within blocks of their houses in Rancho Bernardo.

There is literally a million people in the path of these fires, it's really scary. Before we say, "F them, they knew the risks!" remember every part of the country has it's share of natural disasters. Fire is ours.

Now we are just waiting to see if a fire threatens us again, and we won't wait for the reverse 911 call to leave.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #17

and to think one of our south florida hurricanes would put out that fire like a spent cigarette and if it stalled just right would fill up lake lanier in georgia. after all these years of asserting our place in the world you'd think we'd do a better job of managing mother nature. or then again, maybe not.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #18

These SoCal fires are getting out of hand...

Old 10-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #19

A little more seriously, here is a NASA satellite photo of the Los Angeles area showing fires burning and smoke

Here is a photo of downtown Los Angeles, many miles (maybe 20 or so) from the fires. Los Angeles gets smog but this is ridiculous

Old 10-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
These SoCal fires are getting out of hand...
MB, when the property and even the lives of some who post here are at stake, I don't see much humor in your post.