Sad incident at our hotel this afternoon

The front door in my present home had one of those lever type door knobs. Nothing to turn, just pull it down and the door is unlocked and open.
As I learned, my then two year old could easily do that. One morning we could not find her anywhere in the house. In a panic I went outside to see her standing by some flowers out front. She had pulled on the handle, the door opened and out she went to explore the world.

I soon replaced the handle with one that required a good firm twist from a bigger and stronger hand. And I put a little flip-latch gizmo up high on the door frame that would keep the door from opening even if unlocked.

Our house also has those lever handles on the front door and garage door. We added little flip locks at the top of the door after a toddler escaped one afternoon. (Middle of the day, didn't make it past the porch.)

Many people (including DW and I) never realized how fast a toddler can move. Dw was in the obese weight range with no a lot of stamina when she was out walking with one of our sons when he was 2 or 3, and he decided to take off down the block. Not. being able to catch him (thank goodness he slowed down before the street) was one factor in her deciding to take proactive actions to lose weight and get in better shape.

It can be even worse when their is sometime that allows one to lose sight of a toddler (door, around a corner, etc.) and one can lose track of where the child went.

Then there are also cases where, through mixed signals, each parent assumes the other is watching or has the kid... one of our closet married couple friends lost a child where this was a factor.

Without details about the parents in the OP's post, it is very difficult to judge the situation. While sad, it is still good that the child was reunited with their parents.

Seems like a lot of people here need to read "The Four Agreements."

3rd agreement...Don't Make Assumptions

Assumptions are pointless. You're just making things up in your head. You're telling yourself a story that may or may not exist. Its not productive and leads to drama.

Me thinks you have assumed everything is okay with that child, which has a higher probability of being correct, thank goodness. But, what if it wasn’t? DW and I had 1 child and adopted 4 more. We’ve worked with DSS and CPS for years and have seen first hand, and heard many things second hand, that will make one want to have 10 minutes alone with some of these parents. A lost child can be a sign of neglect. Not usually, but it can be. Scuba is the only one that saw. I was not there to look for other signs. All I’m saying is if the thought “ What kind of parents would let this happen?” enters your head after seeing this child and it’s situation, please be an advocate for that child. Look very closely for other signs! Ultimately it was the hotel’s call, but I *think* I know what I would have advised them. Call in the experts. Even if it turns out to be nothing, I bet those parents don’t lose her again!

Last edited:
That is horrible and good on you coming to her rescue. It's amazing and very disappointing some of things that go on these days.

Me thinks you have assumed everything is okay with that child, which has a higher probability of being correct, thank goodness. But, what if it wasn’t? DW and I had 1 child and adopted 4 more. We’ve worked with DSS and CPS for years and have seen first hand, and heard many things second hand, that will make one want to have 10 minutes alone with some of these parents. A lost child can be a sign of neglect. Not usually, but it can be. Scuba is the only one that saw. I was not there to look for other signs. All I’m saying is if the thought “ What kind of parents would let this happen?” enters your head after seeing this child and it’s situation, please be an advocate for that child. Look very closely for other signs! Ultimately it was the hotel’s call, but I *think* I know what I would have advised them. Call in the experts. Even if it turns out to be nothing, I bet those parents don’t lose her again!

I can also say that being involved in the child protective system (previously as a CASA volunteer and now as guardian ad litem volunteer attorney) I have seen where some agencies can be quite OVERZEALOUS in their investigations. They can make life a living hell on parents that while may have been negligent in some regard (or not at all) but were not malicious or willful in what happened. "Look for other signs" while sounds good on the surface, it can cause a LOT of problems. --- I am NOT saying that to rebuke or call out Scuba (or others) on their actions, just to illustrate that there are always 3 sides to a story.

Actual incident: Our employee was a no-call no-show. We tried desperately to contact her. Called her mother as listed in her emergency contact, her mother hung up her phone after we informed her that we were her employer. Turned on evening news... 2 young kids wondering around the parking lot of apartment blocks in underwear and crying the previous evening. Someone called the police. It turned out that their parents were high on meth. Apartment was filthy and there was hardly any food at home. The 2 parents were sent to jail and later rehab. It was a shock to us as she was a good employee during the day and we had drug screening at hiring.

Son and GF asked to use the old homestead a few months back while they moved to the same city. We said "no" because we KNEW that the place was not suitable for their toddler (not to mention the two dogs.) The homestead is set up for us so all the "bad" stuff is within OUR easy reach. So the drain cleaner, pesticides, D-con, etc., etc. are within easy reach - especially for a toddler. SO, we offered to rent them a place while they got their place in shape to move in.

Easy to see. Child opens door and door (they always do) closed behind and locks.

Yes, what’s not easy to understand is why said child was allowed to wander alone in the hallway, crying loudly, for at least 10 minutes without being noticed as missing.

I didn’t see any obvious signs of abuse on the child, but her screaming and crying went on for several minutes before we went out to the hallway to see what was happening. The poor kid had worked herself into a frenzy wandering alone through the hallway. I understand how a kid could quickly escape a room without being immediately noticed, but don’t understand how her obvious sounds of distress were not heard or acted upon by the parents.

Even when the hotel manager knocked on the door of the room the child identified, there was no answer. The manager later told us the kid had identified the correct room. So either they left the property without noticing they didn’t have their toddler with them, or they were paying more attention to something else and didn’t worry about a wailing child outside their door.

Anyway, I hope the parents will pay more attention going forward and I’m glad nothing horrible happened to the innocent child.

Yes, what’s not easy to understand is why said child was allowed to wander alone in the hallway, crying loudly, for at least 10 minutes without being noticed as missing.

On the surface, it’s sounds like it could be neglect.

Last edited:
We had a scary incident at Dulles airport. We had a layover between flights and went to one of the cafeterias for lunch. I went to a table with the 2 year old and all of our stuff. DH went through the line with the 5 year old to get the food.

DH got to the checkout with one tray while the 5 year old had the 2nd tray. In the 30 seconds it took DH to get the items rung up and pay, the 5 year old was out in the concourse walking to the gate with the tray! He didn’t realize I was waiting at the table.

DH got to the table, alone, and we realized what happened. I took off out of the cafeteria and luckily I spotted the 5 year old, almost to our gate. I called his name and he didn’t respond so I whistled the way I whistled to call in the cats at home. He heard that and turned around and saw me. Whew!

At age 5 he knew the gate number, probably the flight number and certainly his parents names. Luckily, we got him back on our own.

Yes, it happens fast.

Scuba, I’m glad you were there.

Last edited:
When we moved, our cat quickly figured out the new home's lever door knobs. Stand on hind legs, jump up, grab the lever and boom, the door opens! Good thing the front door had a regular turn-knob (and deadbolt).

Of course it's even easier for a dog or child, who are taller than a cat.

The front door in my present home had one of those lever type door knobs. Nothing to turn, just pull it down and the door is unlocked and open.
As I learned, my then two year old could easily do that. .

When we moved, our cat quickly figured out the new home's lever door knobs. Stand on hind legs, jump up, grab the lever and boom, the door opens! Good thing the front door had a regular turn-knob (and deadbolt).

Of course it's even easier for a dog or child, who are taller than a cat.
Our shepherd dog figured out the lever handles. He would not only let himself out, but the other 2 dogs would follow.

Our shepherd dog figured out the lever handles. He would not only let himself out, but the other 2 dogs would follow.

Our 2 Goldens loved our pear tree in the front yard. They just loved the fallen pears. The only thing between the backyard & nirvana was a fence & a gate. The gate latch was a bit loose & if you knocked it just right the gate was open. One day my wife called for me to watch these 2 dogs. Penny (the smart one) would knock the gate open & Oden (not so smart) would hold the gate open. Penny would get a pear & come back up to eat in the back yard. As soon as Penny was through Oden would go down & get his pear.

If we had not seen it I would not thought it possible. I just don't know how long they were running this scheme :D

As an aside, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my mother used to let me sit in her 1971 Camaro and listen to the radio while she visited with the grandparents. Well, this kid old knocked the car into gear and took a ride down a long hill and hit a tree. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt. Sometimes parents do really stupid things.

I did a similar thing, at the same age range, I put the car in neutral and it rolled backwards onto the highway.. fortunately nobody texted back then so the other drivers were paying attention and stopped. :angel:

I think my mom could have slept through an explosion. Wish I'd inherited her sound sleeping. I got my dad's chronic wakefulness instead.

I didn’t see any obvious signs of abuse on the child, but her screaming and crying went on for several minutes before we went out to the hallway to see what was happening. The poor kid had worked herself into a frenzy wandering alone through the hallway. I understand how a kid could quickly escape a room without being immediately noticed, but don’t understand how her obvious sounds of distress were not heard or acted upon by the parents.

Even when the hotel manager knocked on the door of the room the child identified, there was no answer. The manager later told us the kid had identified the correct room. So either they left the property without noticing they didn’t have their toddler with them, or they were paying more attention to something else and didn’t worry about a wailing child outside their door.

Anyway, I hope the parents will pay more attention going forward and I’m glad nothing horrible happened to the innocent child.

We met son and our 22 MO granddaughter for lunch a couple of days ago. What with Covid restrictions, GD hasn't been "out" much. Sure enough, as soon as she was released from the car, she darted from behind the car into the parking lot road. DW and I were "ready" for it. We both grabbed her though there was zero traffic. Son was just not ready for it - she's had no or little experience with that much "freedom" (and same for son.) I say this only because some of the situations that sound like neglect or abuse MAY just be inexperience with a toddler. Not excusing anything, but suggesting most stuff with raising a child is learned (often the hard way.)

Walk a mile in my shoes comes to mind but YMMV.

Most hotel doors are hard to open because the automatic closer shuts the door hard enough to ensure it latches.
The child might have slipped out when someone else had the door open but it's VERY unlikely that she opened the door. My first inclination is to call CPS to put a scare into the parents so they're more aware of their little escape artist.
My wife taught 2 and 3 year olds at the church pre-school for almost 30 years so she has some interesting tales of "getaway" kids and we had two very creative girls who conributed their own bits of "escape". Not a problem IF you're aware of what that kid might do but possibly a major problem if you're not paying attention.

That happened to me a long time ago at a cheap motel in Idaho, can't even recall which town. I was a young single male at the time and it somehow didn't occur to me to call the police when a young child, sobbing uncontrollably wandered into the open door of my room. I picked her up and rocked her in my arms trying to comfort her and went straight to the office. The folks there new exactly what was up, her slimeball parents had locked her out of the room while they were "busy" and she wandered around outside until she found an open door. Apparently it wasn't the first time the poor child had been left to fend for herself. I hit the road and spent the rest of the day beating up on myself for not having called the authorities rather than taking her to the office of the motel.

I think my mom could have slept through an explosion. Wish I'd inherited her sound sleeping. I got my dad's chronic wakefulness instead.
I slept through the next over six apartment building burning to the ground. DW spent hours trying to wake me up to fail. When I awoke and exclaimed about the smell she wasn't amused.

I think it's an easy mistake, especially on an older car that they owner thinks may not be valuable or a target for thieves.

As an aside, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my mother used to let me sit in her 1971 Camaro and listen to the radio while she visited with the grandparents. Well, this kid old knocked the car into gear and took a ride down a long hill and hit a tree. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt. Sometimes parents do really stupid things.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me, right around 1970. My dad gave me his expired license so I of course immediately went out to the car in the driveway and put it into gear just like I'd seen my Dad do many times, rolled down the driveway and just missed a tree. My parents actually realized what was happening pretty quickly, but not much they could do but watch me roll down the driveway yelling at me to hit the brakes, like I knew what that was or could even reach the pedal.

Back
Top Bottom