Join Early Retirement Today

Sad incident at our hotel this afternoon
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sad incident at our hotel this afternoon

We were in our room this afternoon and heard a child crying continuously. After a few minutes of this, DH stepped outside our room and saw a child that was apparently lost. She was still in training pants, probably around 2 years old, stumbling around the hotel hallway and crying. We picked her up and tried to soothe her while we called the front desk and reported the situation. She located a room she thought her mommy and daddy were in, and the hotel manager knocked on the door. No one answered. The hotel manager handled the situation from there and told us he eventually reunited her with her parents. The kid had identified the correct room. The parents had not reported their child missing, nor had they responded to her loud crying up and down the hallway.

What kind of parents would let this happen? I’m not a parent, but cannot imagine locking my kid out of my hotel room and ignoring her pitiful cries while she wandered alone in the hotel hallway. Really makes me sick to think this poor kid is going to be raised by people who care so little for her. Anything could have happened to her.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scary.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Administrator

It's a good thing you two were there to help a scared little girl. Regardless of how it came about, she was in need and you stepped up. Well done.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #4

Hopefully there’s a story that explains this in a better light. Maybe the family was sleeping and somehow the child got out of the room and the parents just didn’t know and were hard asleep. Of course other alternatives seem more plausible but I’m hopeful for the child that none of them are what happened.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You and hotel management were her Guardian Angels. Manager could’ve reported the situation to police. For the child’s sake I hope the parents won’t ever let that happen again.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We were in our room this afternoon and heard a child crying continuously. After a few minutes of this, DH stepped outside our room and saw a child that was apparently lost. She was still in training pants, probably around 2 years old, stumbling around the hotel hallway and crying. We picked her up and tried to soothe her while we called the front desk and reported the situation. She located a room she thought her mommy and daddy were in, and the hotel manager knocked on the door. No one answered. The hotel manager handled the situation from there and told us he eventually reunited her with her parents. The kid had identified the correct room. The parents had not reported their child missing, nor had they responded to her loud crying up and down the hallway.

What kind of parents would let this happen? I’m not a parent, but cannot imagine locking my kid out of my hotel room and ignoring her pitiful cries while she wandered alone in the hotel hallway. Really makes me sick to think this poor kid is going to be raised by people who care so little for her. Anything could have happened to her.
I am also not a parent but I have seen something similar (wandering in the street). There was only one parent home and was in the shower when the kid (also in diapers) figured out how to open the door and get away. That "kid" is over 20 years old now and doing great, so not a parenting failure. Something that shouldn't have happened? Perhaps...but mistakes DO happen.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That is very sad. I can't even fathom something like that, and is very disturbing for me.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #8

Yes, I don’t know exactly what happened, but the kid’s cries were so loud and continuous that it’s hard to imagine her parents didn’t know she was in distress. Regardless, I hope she’ll be ok. At least we know they were reunited, which is probably better than the alternative.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Easy to see. Child opens door and door (they always do) closed behind and locks.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We had a horrible tragedy in our state Monday. To little guys, 3 year old twins somehow locked themselves in a car in their neighborhood. Dad noticed they were missing and police and neighbors frantically searched the neighborhood.

They were found in car not far from their house. One little guy died and the other one has been released from the hospital. Police are investigating the timeline and haven't given any more details. Just heartbreaking on so many levels.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

That’s really sad.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We had a horrible tragedy in our state Monday. To little guys, 3 year old twins somehow locked themselves in a car in their neighborhood. Dad noticed they were missing and police and neighbors frantically searched the neighborhood.

They were found in car not far from their house. One little guy died and the other one has been released from the hospital. Police are investigating the timeline and haven't given any more details. Just heartbreaking on so many levels.
Very sad story, but more common than anyone would like to admit. This is a good time to remind people to LOCK THEIR CARS when they aren't in them. Kids LOVE empty cars and leaving them unlocked is just asking for trouble.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Very sad story, but more common than anyone would like to admit. This is a good time to remind people to LOCK THEIR CARS when they aren't in them. Kids LOVE empty cars and leaving them unlocked is just asking for trouble.

.....yes and yes it was in a smallish town up North, maybe they don't usually lock their doors. But the what ifs will be many from this awful outcome.

Imagine if this was your car...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
.....yes and yes it was in a smallish town up North, maybe they don't usually lock their doors. But the what ifs will be many from this awful outcome.
I think it's an easy mistake, especially on an older car that they owner thinks may not be valuable or a target for thieves.

As an aside, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my mother used to let me sit in her 1971 Camaro and listen to the radio while she visited with the grandparents. Well, this kid old knocked the car into gear and took a ride down a long hill and hit a tree. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt. Sometimes parents do really stupid things.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:04 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

OP, thank heavens the tyke was found by good people. I shudder to think

I recall, from an early age (3 and a half) being mysteriously, but seriously, afraid of a) the medicine cabinet b) my parents' closet and nighttable (where Dad's guns were kept) c) even thinking of getting in a car with no adult present. It was just a numinous fear that Something Awful Could Occur.

Younger than that, I am sure I was watched with an eagle eye. Mom used to tell about (much) elder sibling running away in the baby walker, and her chasing down the sidewalk after. Clearly, it made a great impression on her and there were no more child escapes for the next two decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I think it's an easy mistake, especially on an older car that they owner thinks may not be valuable or a target for thieves.

As an aside, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, my mother used to let me sit in her 1971 Camaro and listen to the radio while she visited with the grandparents. Well, this kid old knocked the car into gear and took a ride down a long hill and hit a tree. Amazingly, I wasn't hurt. Sometimes parents do really stupid things.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Yes, I don’t know exactly what happened, but the kid’s cries were so loud and continuous that it’s hard to imagine her parents didn’t know she was in distress. Regardless, I hope she’ll be ok. At least we know they were reunited, which is probably better than the alternative.
The "parents" were probably too busy making another kid to be bothered by the one they already have.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #17

It may have been a sign of more trouble ahead for that child, and Police / Child Protective Services should have called. Better safe than sorry.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #18

Drugs? Meth?
Old 08-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems like a lot of people here need to read "The Four Agreements."

3rd agreement...Don't Make Assumptions

Assumptions are pointless. You're just making things up in your head. You're telling yourself a story that may or may not exist. Its not productive and leads to drama.

For those who have/had kids, we all know how fast things can happen with little ones. Its the reason why you always hear how important it is to "baby proof" your home. Parents cannot be on guard 24/7 as much as people like to assume they can. Again, don't make assumptions.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The front door in my present home had one of those lever type door knobs. Nothing to turn, just pull it down and the door is unlocked and open.
As I learned, my then two year old could easily do that. One morning we could not find her anywhere in the house. In a panic I went outside to see her standing by some flowers out front. She had pulled on the handle, the door opened and out she went to explore the world.

I soon replaced the handle with one that required a good firm twist from a bigger and stronger hand. And I put a little flip-latch gizmo up high on the door frame that would keep the door from opening even if unlocked.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote