Saddest Songs

I've listen to this one, it seems like a zillion times, about an old, presumably Jewish, pawnbroker who survived the death camps:

Wow. I never heard this one. Beautiful and sad. Here are a few contributions to the list:

Kilkelly, Ireland starts at 0:55

The Green Fields of France

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda starts at 0:54

The last two were written by Eric Bogle. I belong to a folk music organization and whenever Eric played at our venue (not often enough) as I recall vets of all ages but mostly WWll would come in to hear him sing these songs and would leave after he finished. They always stood in the back of the hall, kind of at attention. That brought me to tears as much as hearing him sing.

Many hours later and I've gained many new favorite songs and songwriters. Thank you for this thread. And for some of the stories shared about how the songs affected you.

I"m going to add a few more to the list:

Tracy Chapman Fast Car
I just saw that Justin Bieber does a nice cover of this!

Loverman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmf6Oehm1OA

Sad doesn’t begin to touch the depth and horrifying images. I don’t mean to hijack the thread—just cautioning:
Strange Fruit Billie Holiday

I also want to add on to some other suggestions:
I Brought My Father With Me Small Potatoes cover, written by Michael Peter Smith, of The Dutchman fame

John Prine Hello in There

Nanci Griffith South Bound Train and Late Night Grand Hotel

A few songs came to me so strongly when my mom passed away:
How Do I Live Without You
Who Will Watch the Home Place (Laurie Lewis cover)
Stay in some versions Bette Midler spoke about how she first thought the song was about the loss of a lover, then as she got older she felt it was more about the loss of a child or a parent.

Boyz II Men were one of the best vocal groups of their time.

Rainy Night in Georgia (best version sung by Brook Benton)
The Last Time I Saw Her (Gordon Lightfoot)
Kentucky Rain (sung by Elvis, written by Eddie Rabbit)
Moody River (Pat Boone)

. . . and 2 different sad songs with the same name:

Patches (Pat Boone)
Patches (Clarence Carter)

Leaving On A Jet Plane - Peter, Paul and Mary (written by John Denver)

Our Town - Iris Dement

Had this CD playing while on the elliptical this a.m........things that slip away:

Back
Top Bottom