Safe or Safety Deposit Box?

kz

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm bantering with a friend over the correct pronounciation. Is it Safe or Safety Deposit Box?

I believe it is Safe not Safety. She is president of our credit union and said "common people" (must be me) think it's Safe when it is really Safety.

It's ok, you can tell me if I'm wrong. ;)

Since usage precedes correctness, I don't think it is really possible to know which is right. I agree with you however; it seems that "safe deposit box" is the more grammatical form. Safe in this sense would be an adjective, as in safe driving, or safe sex. Do you hear talk about safety sex?

In contrast, safety is ordinarily a noun. A rather abstract one which denotes a state wherein safe practice is being followed.

But I am afraid that in America, few people give a damn about what is right grammatically speaking, and even fewer would know how to approach the question. (T-Al is a prominant exception, and I hope he will weigh in on this thread.)

When I get billed for my box, the bank calls it a "safe deposit box". I think that means a place where you can deposit items in the expectation that they will be safe from theft. I would think that "safety deposit box" would suggest a place where gunsmiths might place safeties that they were holding for their gun repairs.

Ha

good question. but how do you spell it. is it safe-t-posit or a safe-d-posit box?

It is a box that resides in a safe. Ergo, it is a safe deposit box.

A safety deposit box sounds like something you would put potentially contaminated body excretions in to keep others safe from the material.

I used to call them safety deposit boxes. Now I have two of them at two different institutions and all of the paperwork from each used the term "Safe Deposit Box", including the little envelopes that the makers of the boxes provide to put the keys in.

What if you use it while doing the "safety dance"?

Everyone look at your hands!

Sorry in advance for causing that sucker to run through your head for the next two hours.

My CU calls it safe deposit box on their website.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
What if you use it while doing the "safety dance"?

Everyone look at your hands!

Sorry in advance for causing that sucker to run through your head for the next two hours.

No problem you can dance if you want too....

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Can I leave myself behind?

You can act real rude and totally removed,
and I can act like an imbecile.

Oh wait, I already do.

Back
Top Bottom