Sailboat recommendation - fixed or swing keel ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A relatively new mast up storage with 2 hoists in the harbor has lots of spaces, 10,000 # hoist . so I am looking at older 20-23 foot, for coastal water day sailing. prices are rock bottom for just about anything over 15 years old.

In this size, except for cal 20's, just about every thing I'm seeing is swing keel.

Other than very small boats, I have only sailed on fixed keel boats 25-35'.

Are swing keel boats safe in heavy winds ?.

The yard launches and retrieves free for storage customers on one hour notice.
cleanest marina I have ever seen. Mast up storage about 30% less than slip rentals at this marina.

The guy on the you tube video I am told was the first customer when the marina opened in 2012

Nice that they bury the launch fee into the storage or it would be harder to justify the day's voyage. Nice video production!!

Our Montgomery 17 foot sailboat has a fixed 600 pound lead keel with a swing down steel extension that can be pulled up into the keel for beaching or shallow water.

17 is bit smaller than you indicate, although we do have a little cabin that sleeps 2.

I've also seen the tendency to never find the perfect day to overcome the static force of a haul/launch operation. So, yeah, leaving it in the water would lead away from a swing keel. How would a cat do for shallow ops?

Nice that they bury the launch fee into the storage or it would be harder to justify the day's voyage. Nice video production!!

They will launch and retrieve once per day ( 365 times a year) at no charge. Some how , I don't think anyone has taken them up on that offer LOL , most people are lucky to get on the water a dozen days during the summer .

Last edited:
Mast up dry storage is what attracted me to consider a sailboat. You have no surprises below the waterline and no recurring hull cleaning cost vs leaving in a slip. This marina will have your boat in the water waiting for you.

The city launch ramp is free, just pay parking, but don't have a vehicle capable of hauling a heavy trailer to a launch ramp.

The drawback to a fixed keel boat for dry storage is finding a trailer. Only needs to be barely roadworthy .

I have considered a MacGreggor 26 , but they are $$ and I am leery of the water ballast concept.

Buying a new trailer is just about = to the the cost of a geriatric but sound sailboat.

I have a capri 18 which has a fixed keel, it's perfect for solo lake sailing. The older catalina 22s typically have swing keels and the ones I looked at in my price range were starting to have issues with the hoists plus it takes up a lot of space in the cabin. . My buddy has a catalina 28 with a fixed keel that is an excellent boat, and would be heavy enough for coastal sailing.

We met a young guy from New York when we lived on our 28 Morgan Out Island who had sailed a McGregor down to the Abacos. Not my first choice for open water, but it worked for him!
We owned a 23 Southcoast sailboat with a swing keel and had a good time on it, but the trailer hassle got to be too much, hence the Out Island.
Later we moved to a trawler and are now (happily) boat free for the time being.

You are on west coast, correct?
I would not bother with swing keel there. Not too much shallow water to worry about.
I have a swing keel on our 17ft, but I trailer my boat to very shallow bays in FL.
If I was looking for coastal daysailing on west cost, I would search for a small, sturdy fixed keel, like older Compac 23 (not necessary the latest version), like this one is San Diego:
1984 Com-Pac 23/2 - Boats.com

For longer trips Flicka 20 would be nice (and @7000 lbs it should be well below hoist capacity), but they typically command much higher price:
Boats For Sale

BTW: Both of these choices are cruisers, not racers - you are not looking for performance, are you?

Back
Top Bottom