Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the Costco Executive membership plus credit card. We just got our rebate check of $349, so paid for the membership plus some. We buy all our gas there, which has averaged about 15 cents cheaper that prices nearby. Food quality and prices are better than local supermarkets, so we buy 75% of our groceries there. I guess we would only consider dropping it is if we moved somewhere where the Costco was more than 100 miles away....but then we would never move that far from a Costco!
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

so question for costco'rs --- their glasses/optometry area -- is that a good solution if you have prescription readers and need to get tested and get new glasses? price reasonable? selection good?

i have bought their $25 sunglasses and been happy with them, but never had my eyes tested there...I assume I would just get new test or have my old test sent from the vendor i was using?
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
We used to belong to Sams Club where we used to live when we worked. Now where we retired it’s about 45 minutes away so we chose not to join.

We recently joined Costco which is even further away- an hour and a half- but only because hubby needed hearing aids and Costco was the best value for those.
That was thre reasone we initially went to the "excutive" membership,the lady at the hearing center explaned about the extra warrenty by just putting them on the card.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
so question for costco'rs --- their glasses/optometry area -- is that a good solution if you have prescription readers and need to get tested and get new glasses? price reasonable? selection good?

i have bought their $25 sunglasses and been happy with them, but never had my eyes tested there...I assume I would just get new test or have my old test sent from the vendor i was using?
I haven't used that, but the areas are pretty darn big, bigger than any typical mall-glasses store. Walls full of selection.

This thread has made me realize I need to increase to executive membership - another $60 for another 2% (I already have their CC). When I first signed up I went basic.

You can also get a refund if you join and change your mind, so there's no risk in joining, using it for a month walking around seeing what you'd like, and bailing.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got my email from Costco card that my $497.88 reward certificate was enclosed,so my membership is paid again for a few more years. Earlier this week my wife ask me to go in and change our power bill over to auto pay from the Costco card so there is our last bill that we wont have to worry about.
To bobbyr---- yes you can do it either way you want.This past summer I had an appt.with my eye Dr. for my regular check up. He suggested that I get some new glasses since my eyes had gotten a little worse in my mid vision. He wrote the prescription and said I could take it anywhere I wanted. I joked that I might go to Costco since I had their hearing aids and he said it was a great idea. He knows some people at the local one and said they do good work there. I bought the transitions for a lot less than the local eyeglass places. So for me it was no brainer.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #106

One very good eye exam and two pair of glasses from Costco. Top notch in both cases. Selection was also excellent, as were the prices. I'll be going back next time I need to.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
To bobbyr---- yes you can do it either way you want.This past summer I had an appt.with my eye Dr. for my regular check up. He suggested that I get some new glasses since my eyes had gotten a little worse in my mid vision. He wrote the prescription and said I could take it anywhere I wanted. I joked that I might go to Costco since I had their hearing aids and he said it was a great idea. He knows some people at the local one and said they do good work there. I bought the transitions for a lot less than the local eyeglass places. So for me it was no brainer.
I guess my question included, can I get the actual eye exam there (including prescription)?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
I guess my question included, can I get the actual eye exam there (including prescription)?
Most Costco locations have an optometrist on site for you to get an exam and prescription, which can then be filled at the optical department. The quality of service is obviously going to be unique to each location since each location will have a different optometrist working there. Exams are reasonably priced and generally much lower than going to other independent optometrists.

You can check to see if your location has an optometrist by looking up the location on Costco’s web site.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Most Costco locations have an optometrist on site for you to get an exam and prescription, which can then be filled at the optical department. The quality of service is obviously going to be unique to each location since each location will have a different optometrist working there. Exams are reasonably priced and generally much lower than going to other independent optometrists.

You can check to see if your location has an optometrist by looking up the location on Costco’s web site.
excellent, thanks.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Huge fan of both places! We do 80% of our grocery shopping there, can’t beat the quality, and there are plenty of things available in non-bulk sizes. Highly satisfied with customer service and returns at both so far.
We are on keto/LC WOE so we find a lot there grocery-wise. (Can we talk about that Costco salmon? ������ Rivals any restaurant for quality. We try to purchase electronics at Costco whenever possible (3 big screens for our new home 3 years ago, DH was in heaven). Clothing is awesome. Free shipping w Sam’s Plus membership. Lots of good gas options while traveling and at home. (4% Costco/5% Sam’s cash back on their cc’s on top of low prices) ⛽️
Found an awesome $70 off deal on a GoPro 8 bundle for DH at Costco for Christmas. I can never think of gifts for him. He mountain bikes and surfs (at 68), so that was a home run. He loves it!
$400 in rebate checks from last year. Restaurant gift cards (typically at 20% discount; we buy Fleming’s gc’s regularly for us, and also many for others). Have bought Atom movie gc’s also at 25% off; looking forward to using them again tomorrow.
Travel deals... soon! Rental cars through Costco at good rates + free extra driver.

I’ll stop now. Can you tell I’m a big fan?
I’m doing better than I deserve!
Miarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Ooh, almost forgot... vitamins and supplements, and LOVE the Kirkland protein bars.
Alcohol good at both C & S’s, C has the edge on wine I think... Skrewball peanut butter whiskey (C... don’t knock it ‘til you try it!).

Costco actually did things backwards, took an expert buyer and trained them on wine. I’d say it’s worked out fairly well.

Check with local warehouses... but in most states you don’t have to be a member to buy alcohol or use the pharmacy. Ditto for using a Cash Card that someone gifts to you. YMMV.
I’m doing better than I deserve!
Miarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

+1
I have insurance that covers annual eye exams but I started using the optometrist at Costco for a second opinion even though I like my regular optometrist. I think it was $65. Blow that dough.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Bold by me.

Uhhmm, you DO know that most of Zenni's glasses are made in China, right?
Most glasses are made in China, period, no matter where you buy them. You just can't avoid China for some categories.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miarocks View Post
Alcohol good at both C & S’s, C has the edge on wine I think... Skrewball peanut butter whiskey (C... don’t knock it ‘til you try it!).

YMMV.
I actually liked dill-pickle ice cream when I tried it so... YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Most glasses are made in China, period, no matter where you buy them. You just can't avoid China for some categories.
Quite true about frames. Not so sure about the lenses. Zenni grinds their lenses in China.

But you are correct. There are some categories of things we buy that just plain are not made in the US anymore.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #116
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister
I'm one of those who can get in and out of the store in 15-20 minutes, so not their typical customer, but very happy with my membership..
I once took my two kids there for lunch; was in and out in 20 minutes and spent less than $5. Love me a $1.50 hotdog with drink and refill.
R.O.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #117

Costco is one of the three closest gas stations to our house, so I'm now buying about half my fuel there.

The most important thing right now is that they appear to be one of the stores taking pandemic precautions most seriously.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.A.D. View Post
I once took my two kids there for lunch; was in and out in 20 minutes and spent less than $5. Love me a $1.50 hotdog with drink and refill.
I recall watching a show talking about Costco's low prices. It was not quite "gotcha" reporting, but they were trying. I recall the reporter asking about the $1.50 hot dog/drink deal. He said "I bet you're trying to figure how to ..." "LOWER the price..." the Costco guy said before the question was finished."

I like that! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote