Sam's club and Costco worth it for retirees.

We are just a couple...living on Hawaii Island. We buy ~90% of our groceries at COSTCO. We have the Executive membership, and receive 1-4% back on purchases. We just received our annual refund check, for $436! In addition to the refund check, we save about $0.90 per gallon on gasoline. This year, we saved $500 on a washer/dryer, $1000 on a garage wall system, and $100 on a Staub pot. It's well-worth it!

We used to also belong to Sam's Club in Honolulu, where they had better quality produce than COSTCO. They also had smaller sizes of items, so the membership there was also worth it!

Last edited:
Not worth it in my opinion, but yes we have both Sam's and BJ's. More like a luxury or a bad habit. We only pay $40 for BJ's with discount from the state farm bureau membership and we got the Sam's club for free with a coupon someone linked by someone here, but it was $45. There's only 3 of us but we might give these up and try Costco or share a membership with another family member.

My wife and I are retired and big fans of Costco. We more than pay our membership fee in gasoline savings. The Kirkland brand is always high quality. We've bought tires, our current mattress, electronics tablets, eyeglasses, the list goes on. My wife buys food, then breaks it down and freezes it. For us the Costco is close by, and surrounded by most of the other shops we use such as CVS, Lowe's, Walmart and more.
Yeah some people just think of bulk grocery and pantry/toiletry items but like you, we use Costco for other things as well, like gasoline. We bought computers, a range hood fan, faucets, water filters, heavy duty steel racks and the list goes on. Returning those big ticket items are so easy and that's one big plus over other stores. It's just me and DH but we got more money back from them than our membership fees the last two years that we have been an executive member. I like it that I can get things there that I cannot find elsewhere or their prices are much more reasonable. KETO food items, specialty cheeses, chocolates, seasonal oroblonco citrus, satsuma mandarins, etc.

I'm a household of one and I rarely buy meat and I still think Costco is a good deal. In addition to the items I can use up in a reasonable time in Costco-sized quantities (and that includes some produce), I really like Costco when it comes to big-ticket items such as mattresses tires, etc. where there's a crazy array of brands and prices and I trust them to winnow down the choices and stand behind them. I use their opticians but get my glasses at Zenni. If I ever need hearing aids I will definitely go to Costco.

I've never tried to quantify the savings because for some of the Kirkland items the quality is better, or they're other products I can't get elsewhere, but I'm happy with them. I also believe they treat their employees better and are more careful of their supply chain than Costco/Sam's Club (although I still find things made in China and avoid them). Those factors are important to me.

We’ve been Costco Exec members for several years and I’ve done the math almost every year. It’s worth it for us, but it depends on how close you are and what you’re buying habits are. Buying gas at Costco goes a long way toward making it worthwhile, might not be otherwise on store shopping alone for us. And Kirkland Signature items tend to be relatively good quality/value.

Last edited:
It has been years since I collected and analyzed price data - BJs versus grocery store, comparing price per ounce. I used to do things like that for fun :D Anyway, it was clear that BJs food indeed cost 15-20% less than the same or comparable grocery store items. The difference was, I think, around 30% for paper and cleaning items.

We haven't bought that many big-ticket things, but those we have bought. always seemed like good buys at the time.

Certainly it takes planning, and storage space, to ensure you use everything before it spoils or goes stale. I've got a knack for that. Also, over the years, the "giant" packages have typically shrunk, in keeping with the same trend at grocery stores.

We've been Costco members for years. The check we get each spring is usually more than enough to pay for the membership.

We joined Sams as well a couple of years ago, primarily because they had the best price for a particular medication that our daughter was taking at the time. No question we buy less there than at Costco, but the things we do buy are things we prefer from there. We have the cheapest membership possible there and so far, it's been worth it.

Cheers.

Also a costco fan... we buy large ticket items there occasionally but the bulk of purchases are grocery items. So much cheaper than I can get at local grocery stores.

I've also found that costco.com is a treasure of great deals on clothes and building and remodeling supplies. Lighting fixtures, faucets, flooring and more is available on their website but not in the store. Delivery is fast and returns if needed, can be made at the local store even if they don't stock the item.

I'm a household of one and I rarely buy meat and I still think Costco is a good deal. In addition to the items I can use up in a reasonable time in Costco-sized quantities (and that includes some produce), I really like Costco when it comes to big-ticket items such as mattresses tires, etc. where there's a crazy array of brands and prices and I trust them to winnow down the choices and stand behind them. I use their opticians but get my glasses at Zenni. If I ever need hearing aids I will definitely go to Costco.

I've never tried to quantify the savings because for some of the Kirkland items the quality is better, or they're other products I can't get elsewhere, but I'm happy with them. I also believe they treat their employees better and are more careful of their supply chain than Costco/Sam's Club (although I still find things made in China and avoid them). Those factors are important to me.

Bold by me.

Uhhmm, you DO know that most of Zenni's glasses are made in China, right?

+1 And, I am not buying any larger items lately either. I have all that stuff.

Here in New Orleans Costco doesn't seem to carry anything that isn't available for as good or better price, at more convenient stores or online. Even if the price difference was reversed, I'm not poor and I can afford to shop in environments I prefer (and humungous warehouse stores 20 minutes away are not on my short list).

:facepalm: DW knows a lot of those 'warehouse' folks so stop and talk is 'always' on the shopping list.

Significant Other back in NO days had us signed up for Sam's in NO East. :D Did more 'Boils' and cook outs back then.

Heh heh heh - :cool: Also tending toward smaller items as ER marches on.

Just wife and I now, but we love Costco. I really like the Kirkland Tuna Fish, among a lot of other Kirkland items. And we do get their top tier gas whenever we are there. I used them for a price on my new truck, and it was right around invoice. I took that price to my local dealer, and they beat it. So in a way, that was a benefit of my membership,lol.

The OP has a really good question. DW and I don't have kids, and have always felt Costco was worth it. Many of the daily items we buy are cheaper there. But some notable items just this year were: Duracell PowerSource 660, $500 at Costco, everywhere else, $600 to $700; Coleman 100W Solar Panel With 8.5 AMP Charge Controller, $160 at Costco, about $200 everywhere else; Winix Tower XQ Air Purifier, $570, $1100 at the manufacturers site.

Of course gas is usually priced cheap at Costco and Sam's, so I time my trips with needed fillups. Which now is about once every 2->4 wks as we are driving more.

Costco can be excellent for Cruise purchases pre-Covid. That was why I bought my membership that has since expired. Their price saved me over $200 on the cruise compared to all the places I checked (and I check a LOT). Other times they are not cheaper.

But the Costco refund of my trip, turned out to be a "not our problem call Princess" thing and it was a big hassle. Costco did drop the ball a lot, and recognized it by giving me a $50 gift card.

We have Costco. Executive members.

The rebate more than pays for the exec. membership fee.

We have a Executive membership too. You're right, the rebate more than covers the cost.

Where else would we find Kirkland Vanilla Ice Cream?

If you don't need a new addiction, don't try it. :)

We found that one just recently, and addiction is the right word. Wish they had chocolate, though.

Honestly, I just go for the cheap hot dogs and drinks.

Even back when I was working I could always count on running into coworkers at the food counter. The hot dogs and the pizza prices are amazing. And you don't even have to be a member to eat there. It's definitely one of the things I'm missing during the pandemic. I only go during Senior hour, which is a bit early for a hot dog.

Still a member of BJ's. Some of their bulk items were cheaper apples to apples than at other non warehouse grocery type stores near us. There is a Sam's and Costco also near us.

Back when we had 3 kids still in school we had a Sam club membership. It was worth it I think. Especially when our 2 boys were in HS and playing sports we would go through lots of staples, milk, eggs, cereal, meats, fruit, vegetables, laundry soap, TP , toothpaste etc. Now last kid (daughter) graduated in back in 2018 so we are empty nesters now. Don't need to buy the bulk items anymore so we let our Sam club membership expire back in 2018. When I was driving 80 miles a day to work usually bough gasoline at Sams as it was on way to work and usually a good 10 cents to 15 cents cheaper than local gasoline stations. Now retired a tank of gas last us a good month or more.

My wife does most grocery of our grocery shopping at Aldi's now and the rest at Hyvee.

Any empty nesters retirees still use Sams or Costco? Any items that are worth the cost of membership . I think Sam's was about $50 for a year for us.

my wife still renews our basic Costco membership every year even though the arithmetic doesn't work...we don't buy anything in bulk. about all we ever buy there is occasional gasoline (but only if I'm in the area and it's cheaper than my usual fill-up spots) and they're really delicious coffee cake muffins. those are delicious! but I dread going into Costco. not a fan of pushing shopping carts that are bigger than our SUV, the lack of bags at the checkout. but I am rather fond of getting tossed up against the wall for the strip search when leaving the store. :dance:

:facepalm: DW knows a lot of those 'warehouse' folks so stop and talk is 'always' on the shopping list.

Significant Other back in NO days had us signed up for Sam's in NO East. :D Did more 'Boils' and cook outs back then.

Heh heh heh - :cool: Also tending toward smaller items as ER marches on.

If you went to a Sam's club in New Orleans East, then AFAIK, unfortunately "Ain' dere no mo' ." But then that's true about a lot of places around here (as I know you know). There's one out here in Metairie near my previous house, and I think one in Harvey. Costco is in Carrollton.

Yeah isn't that weird about how we don't need those bigger, more expensive purchases any more now so much as we did? I even dropped my online Consumer Reports membership.

BJs is a 5-minute drive, so we have membership there. Paid extra for hihger membership to get 5% off, but that has not paid off very well.

There are just a few bulk items that we purchase there now. Eventually I'll downgrade the membership.

ALDI opened up in the same shopping center, and that is one of our go-to stores now. There are very few items in a big box store that we can't get elsewhere.

We 1st went to Costco as guests of our DD because we had moved. We were Sam's members but it was a 130 mi. round trip after moving & Costco was only 20 mi.away.After that we joined up as a standerd member. I wear hearing aids so one day when we were there I was looking at their aids since I was having some problems with my old ones. The lady set me an appointment to have my hearing test and the rest is history. She explained the return policy as well as the way to get extra insurance just by upgrading my membership to "Executive" putting the cost on the American express card and then the cost of membership would be almost $0 because of cashback. I have saved a bunch over the years on every thing from electronics to tires,and a bunch in between. We tried the car buying service but the dealerships for what we were looking to buy were all to far away for it to be feasible to shop,but I did carry the price to local dealersship and they beat it a little.Overall our Costco experience has been positive and since I now use the Visa card for most of our everyday purchases we actually make money over our fee.

Some savings can be had at Costco but overall not worth it to me considering the shopping hassle (crowds) and driving distance. I tried using the Costco car buying service for my last vehicle purchase and the price was a lot higher than I was able to negotiating on my own. At the same time replaced all of my kitchen appliances, got a much better price at HD for the same exact same model appliances.

There are only 2 of us and our grocery shopping is with Costco and the Commissary. We have belonged to Costco for 10+ years and have the $120 membership and the Costco Visa card. in addition to food we have also purchased auto supplies, small appliances, clothes, Pharmaceuticals, eye glasses, etc. So far the membership and card have been free due to rebates. Actually it has worked out that they have been paying us to shop there. For the great majority of food items we have found the Kirkland brand to be better than the leading brands.
I liked their business model, products, and store layout so much I bought stock in the company. So far the stock is now 5.5X our original purchase. They must be doing something right. They are not getting all their profits from hot dog and pizza sales.

Cheers!

my wife still renews our basic Costco membership every year even though the arithmetic doesn't work...we don't buy anything in bulk. about all we ever buy there is occasional gasoline (but only if I'm in the area and it's cheaper than my usual fill-up spots) and they're really delicious coffee cake muffins. those are delicious! but I dread going into Costco. not a fan of pushing shopping carts that are bigger than our SUV, the lack of bags at the checkout. but I am rather fond of getting tossed up against the wall for the strip search when leaving the store. :dance:

Kind of that way with us. As empty nesters we don't need to buy stuff in bulk. When all 3 kids were in school and home my wife would buy the 50 roll TP package and the 18 pack carton of eggs and 50lb box of laundry detergent. But with a family one can save money buying in bulk.

Still we might join again just to get the price on a new Furnace and figure will get new tires for the car and maybe ne eyeglasses, then likely let it expire again. As for groceries, wife and I probably get by on $150 to $200 per month on groceries most months. We have a well stocked pantry and chest freezer. We get frozen food from Schwans every couple months. A 12 pack of TP would probably last a week when all the kids were here, now a 12 pack of TP probably lasts a month or more. They do have better produce at Sams but the portions are just too big for the 2 of us and with just 2 of us it would go bad before we could ever consume it. amazing the $$ one can save once you are empty nesters. Less laundry ,less showers, less food and groceries, lower heating as kids are not in and out constantly opening the door. No kids on auto insurance so premiums much less.

We are just a couple...living on Hawaii Island. We buy ~90% of our groceries at COSTCO. We have the Executive membership, and receive 1-4% back on purchases. We just received our annual refund check, for $436! In addition to the refund check, we save about $0.90 per gallon on gasoline. This year, we saved $500 on a washer/dryer, $1000 on a garage wall system, and $100 on a Staub pot. It's well-worth it!

We used to also belong to Sam's Club in Honolulu, where they had better quality produce than COSTCO. They also had smaller sizes of items, so the membership there was also worth it!

Supposedly, Costco Honolulu (and maybe Sams AND Home Depot and a couple of the other biggies) are THE busiest of their individual stores in the USA. IOW "our" Costco (not the very busiest) often has no parking spaces. The busy one "downtown" (the one with the gas station with 50 pumps) is THE busiest in the nation (we hear.) I believe it.

Imagine cruising around a big city block at Sams/Walmart - just to get into the 4 story, city block parking structure at Christmas time.

Costco and Sams "revolutionized" shopping in Hawaii. These two stores actually make it possible for some folks to remain on Island. We easily spend $5K/year at Costco. Not everything is a bargain but you learn quickly what is.

Some of our grocery stores will occasionally have loss-leaders that draw us in, but otherwise, virtually all our shopping is at Costco (and to a much lesser extent) Sams/Walmart - it's much farther away and doesn't have gas in Honolulu.

Agree with HI Bill on gas, though when fuel prices are stable for a year or so (when was the last time?) we only save $.30 to $.40 in Honolulu. But typically, we save $.50 to $1/gallon. In pre-Covid days, that paid for our membership.

Some things about Costco (and to lesser extent Sams) that irritate: They have NO cereal (except maybe Cheerios) without added sugar. ONE time they had huge boxes of my favorite cereal (Grape Nuts). I bought two boxes (80% savings over any grocery store in town). Next time I went, they had none and had stopped carrying it. The story I finally got was "The cereal company could not supply them with enough to meet demand and still supply "real" grocery stores." No idea if this was true, but they do not carry Grape Nuts.

Now, multiply that by many other items. I have a saying about Costco: If I like a product, Costco will stop carrying in! Still it (and Sams) are the only game in town. SWAG is Costco saves us 40 to 50% on those items we buy there. To some extent, it's a "Hawaii thing" I'm sure. On the mainland, Costco is too far away when we are back there and Sams is pretty much where we buy our gas on the mainland. YMMV

Last edited:
I love Costco but also wonder if it will still be worth it when the kids move out. I always get more money back on my Executive Membership rewards than the cost of the membership but that is because I am spending too much money there.

If I give up my membership, the amount I save on impulse purchases would probably be significant.

Back
Top Bottom