"Sandy".

I lived through Hurricane Alicia in 1983 which came right through Houston, where I was living at the time. I remember it very well. How could I forget it. Power went out, winds were incredible, rain coming down like you wouldn't beleive. Afterward there was stuff spewed everywhere - what a mess. Many buidings were damaged with windows out and water damage. Hurricane Alicia was a category 3 hurricane which is 2 categories higher than the level of hurricane Sandy as I post.

And what did we do in all our wisdom to prepare... We hung out the night before drinking beer in tha Jacuzzi with the neighbors at the apartment I lived in. ....

During the hurricane we got bored without any power and went for a drive as the hurricane was winding down to see what was happening. Driving around while a hurricane is ongoing is surreal and there's nothing quite like it. While we were driving around something smashed into the car breaking the windshield and damaging the car. No injuries though.

Young and Stupid !

Last edited:
Well the high tide this AM did not do damage beyond the beach. It is up to and thru the protective dunes. I figure about another (vertical) 6 feet to breech the bulkhead. Water is pooling in the streets, due to the back bay high water level. Street drains go to the bay, if it rises, it seeks a level in the street inlets. Cars are now on jack stands & large timbers with battery disconnected.
I hope in doing that no water will reach the garage level.

We have about 9 hours till showtime, which will be the next high tide as the eye makes land fall. The back of the storm is much less in intensity, being in this hemisphere IIRC.

I agree with the comment of the massive losses the insurance companies will sustain. People paid premiums, so the losses should be covered.
I decided to stay here, I have been to Cleveland !! Just Kidding,

Well, high tide is here. The neighbor's dock and yard are underwater, and the water is up over the roads in some places around town. In the 20 years we've been here, we've seen higher water on at least two other occasions. We'll see what tonight's high tide brings us. So far, my trees are holding up.

Well, high tide is here. The neighbor's dock and yard are underwater, and the water is up over the roads in some places around town. In the 20 years we've been here, we've seen higher water on at least two other occasions. We'll see what tonight's high tide brings us. So far, my trees are holding up.

Glad to hear that you are doing OK so far, and I am hoping for the best for all in Sandy's way as this big storm comes ashore.

Do a search on twitter for #sandy. It really shows the power of that platform with up-to-the-minute updates from people experiencing the storm first hand.

With everything internet, you have to filter out the wackos.

This storm, unfortunately, seems to be living up to the hype. Hopefully, all the prep will prevent any loss of life.

With everything internet, you have to filter out the wackos.
As long as you have time (and bandwidth, and electricity) you can filter some of the noise by deciding who you want to read. Either follow the big tweeters who have their lists and retweets (like FEMA) or build your own list.

Part of the challenge, though, is that you might filter too much and miss someone worth reading in your area who only tweets every few hours.

This probably belongs in a separate thread, as it may affect the country long after the physical effect of the storm is over, and will most assuredly affect the pocketbook of not just the US, but also the rest of the world.

How Much Will Hurricane Sandy Cost the U.S. Economy? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

With Katrina costing over $100 Billion Dollars, the article infers that this Sandy may be substantially more. New York City alone... could suffer damage beyond the total of hurricane Irene. In particular, the subway and the underground power structure, if flooded may cost more than anyone currently can estimate.
In the event that the subway tunnels under the Harlem and East Rivers were out for more than a month, the economic cost could be $55 billion, Jacob told the New York Times just this September.

At the very least.. even without storm damage of any kind, the airline industry has already suffered a hit that will probably total more than a billion dollars.

As predictions for sea levels reaching more than 4 feet above Irene's record, the implied damage will be exponentially increased.

Two days and perhaps more of stock market close downs are already seeing foreign market concerns.

From the homeowner/business owner standpoint, the actual costs will be far beyond what most can conceive... Those who have suffered a relatively minor flood of two or three inches of water in their homes, know that this can easily cost from $5,000 to $50,000... walls furniture belongings... even without major structural damage.

I believe we should be very worried about insurance company liquidity, especially given the easing of surety guarantees. Of course, worse yet will be the personal losses of those who chose to opt out of Federal Flood Insurance. (FEMA).

The eventual losses can only be imagined, and the recovery period for many could be weeks, months, or years.

If the media projections are even close to being correct, this may be a defining moment in history.

1:30PM CST 10/29/2012

Last edited:
Wind is howling out of the east, but the sun is peeking out now. A little while ago the wind picked up and flipped over with a thud my neighbor's aluminum fishing boat that was leaning up against her dock.

This probably belongs in a separate thread, as it may affect the country long after the physical effect of the storm is over, and will most assuredly affect the pocketbook of not just the US, but also the rest of the world.

How Much Will Hurricane Sandy Cost the U.S. Economy? - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

With Katrina costing over $100 Billion Dollars, the article infers that this Sandy may be substantially more. New York City alone... could suffer damage beyond the total of hurricane Irene. In particular, the subway and the underground power structure, if flooded may cost more than anyone currently can estimate.

At the very least.. even without storm damage of any kind, the airline industry has already suffered a hit that will probably total more than a billion dollars.

As predictions for sea levels reaching more than 4 feet above Irene's record, the implied damage will be exponentially increased.

Two days and perhaps more of stock market close downs are already seeing foreign market concerns.

From the homeowner/business owner standpoint, the actual costs will be far beyond what most can conceive... Those who have suffered a relatively minor flood of two or three inches of water in their homes, know that this can easily cost from $5,000 to $50,000... walls furniture belongings... even without major structural damage.

I believe we should be very worried about insurance company liquidity, especially given the easing of surety guarantees. Of course, worse yet will be the personal losses of those who chose to opt out of Federal Flood Insurance. (FEMA).

The eventual losses can only be imagined, and the recovery period for many could be weeks, months, or years.

If the media projections are even close to being correct, this may be a defining moment in history.

1:30PM CST 10/29/2012

Why don't you really give in to the hype? Dogs and Cats, living together...

As for insurer liquidity, insurers specifically construct their balance sheets with these types of events in mind and the industry as a whole is awash with an excess amount of capital.

There are storms, floods, fires, other natural events that hit somewhere in the US every year. Every business and property owner has to plan for such events - insure and/or set aside money for major expenses. It's the way life is, and we've made it through several huge expensive and devastating events in the past 12 years (2011 terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, etc., etc.)

October 28, 1991 - November 4, 1991: "The Perfect Storm" (when the Andrea Gail sunk).

October 28, 2011 - November 1, 2011: "The Halloween Nor'easter".

October 29, 2012 (Onshore): "Hurricane Sandy - AKA "Frankenstorm".

Anybody see a trend? :angel:

Here it comes..landfall for coastal NJ and NY is now predicted for 5 PM. :(
Gov Andrew Cuomo has deployed additonal National Guard to NYC to get people [-]the dumbasses[/-] off the streets, prevent looting, and provide emergency services. He ain't messing around with this storm:bat:. Great to have good leadership at the helm.
This mega-crane situation is not helping
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19944871/construction-crane-collapse-in-manhattan

I'm approx 60 miles east of Syracuse NY, where the projected post landfall path is centered over. The effect on me will most likely be lost power.

This is what is in store for my area...eeek

The storm is a hybrid forming as Hurricane Sandy merges with a winter storm from the west and an arctic blast from the north. The National Weather Service predicts sustained winds of 30 to 40 mph Monday afternoon through Tuesday, and one to six inches of rain.
(courtesy http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19944317/wind-could-cause-widespread-power-outages-in-ny )

All ouside items are relocated inside or securely tied down.
I have my generator topped off and 10 spare gallons of gas in the garage. I have natural gas service, so I will be able to cook.
I always have a variety of "fun" beverages on hand. I will go fill some quart bottles with water just to be on the safe side.
I have a nice cheery fire going in the living room. Mr B and I are watching the storm development news, me directly, him through his eyelids. :rolleyes:

Stay safe!

Last edited:
Why don't you really give in to the hype? Dogs and Cats, living together...

As for insurer liquidity, insurers specifically construct their balance sheets with these types of events in mind and the industry as a whole is awash with an excess amount of capital.

+1

This is a real shame...what the hell were they thinking setting sail in these kind of conditions ?...

I think they were trying to outrun the storm and couldn't quite pull it off. As you say, a shame - particularly the likely loss of life.

The wind is really gusting hard right now. It got up under the flat part of my roof and started peeling it back. I put it back in place and then put the heaviest stuff I could find in the house (window air conditioners and some seriously heavy old cast iron shop equipment that I am restoring) on top to hold it down. We'll see how it works, but I'm already out a few thousand bucks, I'm sure.

The wind is really gusting hard right now. It got up under the flat part of my roof and started peeling it back. I put it back in place and then put the heaviest stuff I could find in the house (window air conditioners and some seriously heavy old cast iron shop equipment that I am restoring) on top to hold it down. We'll see how it works, but I'm already out a few thousand bucks, I'm sure.

Ouch.

Just some gentle advice.... Maybe it's time to stay inside and let things do what they may. It's very dangerous to be climbing around on the roof during a hurricane, and could be expensive too, the way medical bills have risen in recent years. Nobody wants to see anything bad happen to you.

Oh Gumby,
I am so sorry to hear of your having to deal with this storm! Please know that we here on the West Coast are pulling for you! I hope you keep yourselves safe!

It's very dangerous to be climbing around on the roof during a hurricane . . .

That's what the young wife kept yelling at me while I was doing it.

Wind is kicking in here too. So scared a tree will fall on our house.

Please be careful about getting out in this storm. Above all else, be safe Gumby.

UPDATE: Make that 3,109,000 customers without power in 5 states. :(

Weather Channel just reported over 1,620,000 customers in several states are without power.
Still OK here, not affected by severe storm conditions...yet.

Last edited:
That's what the young wife kept yelling at me while I was doing it.

Just like I yell at DH when he does [-]dangerous and stupid [/-] brave things to try to save our house and property during disasters. I love him more than any of our stuff. Think your young wife feels the same about you.

:(
Listen to the young wife and take cover.

I'm sending you all truck loads of west coast mojo. Good luck and stay safe everyone.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom