Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Sangria Recipes por favor
Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sangria Recipes por favor

I never really had sangria that I liked - tried a few times at restaurants and they just tasted like cold red wine w/ some citrus (bleh!).

But went to a party the other day and it was yum! This one had red wine, brandy, orange juice concentrate, ginger ale and chunks of apples and pears (those were not that important).

So now curious about other variations that would be equally yummy - have a bbq tomorrow and think that will be my contribution...

I liked the brandy, so if hope your recipe includes or allows a tweak? haha

I know there are booze experts round these parts...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is kind of a trial and error kind of thing. When you find what works for you go with it.

I make it with a jug wine, sometimes red, some times white.
Five Alive ( cause I am not squeezing all that fruit) I do cut up oranges, lemons and limes to float in the punch. Some times I put mint leaves and cherries in it too. It all good.

I will have to try putting Brandy in it next time, that sounds good. Come to think of it Some Myers dark rum may be kind of cool also. I'll get back to ya on that.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We make it with whatever is on sale. Apples, berries, oranges, etc.

Generally it's:

1 shot brandy
2 cans ginger ale
1 bottle wine
sugar
fruit
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always thought Sangrias were some wimpy drink for women that didn't like real drinks. Then I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen, and they went on and on about this recipe. Tried a half batch, since I was skeptical. Wife and I sat out on the porch and sipped these, they were fantastic. A 4 hour rest seemed to do the trick for us. Need to make this again soon. Don't change a thing (recipe is no longer on line):

Quote:
The Best Sangria

The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that’s impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you’ll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4

2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
1 large lemon , washed and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.
Enjoy! -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We make sangria weekly from May through September (then we go back to our weekly mulled wine). It could not be any simpler.

One quart fresh box-o-wine (merlot or cabernet sauvignon), two sliced oranges, one sliced lemon, one sliced lime, mix together in a glass pitcher and leave in the fridge for 24 hours before straining through a sieve and serving. Add sweetener if desired - we like it without.

No soda or anything else to dilute it. I did add a batch of Celestial Seasonings raspberry tea to the batch a few times, and we liked the change/variety. Sometimes we make it 48 hours in advance - it's even better. But leave it much longer than that, and the citrus sours.

It tastes better/stronger with brandy, but my alcohol tolerance is rather low so we leave it out. I guess I am just a wimpy woman
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #6

Thanks all - duh america's test kitchen! Thanks erd, esp since the recipe is not online anymore!!

I'm soaking some pears and a granny smith apple (one is diced, other is sliced very thinly) in a carafe of brandy in the fridge...hehe won't use the whole thing (i don't think! haha) and will add red wine (merlot), some orange juice concentrate, ginger ale, champagne (forgot that part earlier) and oranges...

Amethyst - Thanks for the tip on the citrus going sour - I glad I didn't put them in the brandy!

Love that I have other versions to try! thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #7

I lived in Seville, Spain, for a year a long time ago, and all the Sangria there was made with red wine (cannot tell you what type) and lots of orange slices from a large orange (think Navel) and lemon slices, plus, a few red grapes and chopped apples.

****Ask Vicente Solano. He lives in Spain (he's from there).

Tags
sangria, wine