Saturday mail deliveries are on the budget-cut table...

The Post office cannot legally move into those other services. That's because they would be competing with private enterprise. The Govt is not legally able to do so. So...There is not much chance for the PO to change much to adapt to the changing conditions.

Wow. The first article mentioned a 22% drop in first class mail (since 2006). This one reports a 50% drop in the past decade. I realize both can be true, but it illustrates just how much impact the Internet has already had, and that will only accelerate. It seems inevitable that drastic changes are needed (closing 252 USPS processing centers and 35,000 jobs) and this article seems to suggest the Postmaster General can do so without Congressional approval. But may just be more brinksmanship, and "someone" will probably modify the America Jobs Act...

Postal Service plan would cut 35,000 jobs

I just reluctantly switched to the 1 disc but no streaming with Netflix. Eliminating Saturday delivery won't make a big impact on my usage but switching to every other day as I and others advocate, would probably cause me to switch to streaming Netflix or drop it altogether.

I bet that Netflix is the only major growth in 1st class mail USPS has seen in the 5 years.

One heck of a challenge for any business...leaving things as they are is clearly not an option, especially with the current focus on deficits/debt. I wonder if worst case projections are possible, there won't be a USPS if they are.

Attachments

• pr11_pmg0906-image01.gif
    pr11_pmg0906-image01.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 6
  • the-usps-delivers-40-of-the-worlds-mail-but-total-mail-volume-dropped-20-percent-from-2006-to-20.jpg
    the-usps-delivers-40-of-the-worlds-mail-but-total-mail-volume-dropped-20-percent-from-2006-to-20.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom