Join Early Retirement Today

Sauna owners, How long to heat up your sauna
Old 01-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sauna owners, How long to heat up your sauna

I'm thinking about building a 4x7ft sauna, maybe smaller. I have 220V for the heater. I'm wondering if insulation is a good idea? It will be in an outside porch in N. Florida.
How long does it take your sauna to get up to 170*F?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm thinking about building a 4x7ft sauna, maybe smaller. I have 220V for the heater. I'm wondering if insulation is a good idea? It will be in an outside porch in N. Florida.
How long does it take your sauna to get up to 170*F?

Don't know but being a Finn I have been planning one myself forever.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is infrared 115VAC and takes less than 30 minutes. I added insulation to the glass door and windows. I can still see the TV through the door and play the tv sound thru the sauna speakers. The walls, ceiling and floor are insulated with foam.
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Mine is conventional. It is about the same size as the one you are contemplating, in a basement, and it is insulated. I have an 8 kW Tylo heater, and it gets to 165ºF in about 20 minutes.

Yes, I think insulation is a good idea.

By the way, I researched the HELL out of mine, including buying a how-to guide from the Swedish Sauna Building Society or something like that. The absolute best guide I found was called "The Art of Sauna Building" by Bert Olavi Jalasjaa.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

I have NIR sauna. .. it takes 2-3 min to heat it up. 1250 watts ( 5 bulbs x 250 watts)
Old 01-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

What does it cost to build a sauna from scratch? Or is it better to buy a prepackaged one? I would like to add one to the master bathroom to replace the tub we never use.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Don't know but being a Finn I have been planning one myself forever.

It could be a forever plan, but so far it's only been a thought for about 6 months. My son recently said he wanted to do a woodworking project and I said how about a sauna he said he was up for it. I keep reading about so many health benefits, lots of risk reduction categories.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Mine is infrared 115VAC and takes less than 30 minutes. I added insulation to the glass door and windows. I can still see the TV through the door and play the tv sound thru the sauna speakers. The walls, ceiling and floor are insulated with foam.

Ya, I've had some ideas, but don't know if they are really needed. I thought about a small window the size of a computer monitor, so I could mount a monitor to the window for either computer or TV, with keyboard and mouse wire running out to my computer, or wireless. But, it's only 20 minutes, so just some music or a podcast would be fine. Or, complete silence
I'm wondering about the foam insulation, I know there is one type better in high heat, but I don't know if it off gasses less, I was thinking I'd use fiberglas batting.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
What does it cost to build a sauna from scratch? Or is it better to buy a prepackaged one? I would like to add one to the master bathroom to replace the tub we never use.

I have not priced any components for a build, I do see for any kit, in the size what I want, I could probably spend between $3,300 and $4,000.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I have not priced any components for a build, I do see for any kit, in the size what I want, I could probably spend between $3,300 and $4,000.
That seems very reasonable. I’m meeting with a general contractor in a few weeks to get an estimate to build a steam shower and a sauna in the master bath.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Mine is conventional. It is about the same size as the one you are contemplating, in a basement, and it is insulated. I have an 8 kW Tylo heater, and it gets to 165ºF in about 20 minutes.

Yes, I think insulation is a good idea.

By the way, I researched the HELL out of mine, including buying a how-to guide from the Swedish Sauna Building Society or something like that. The absolute best guide I found was called "The Art of Sauna Building" by Bert Olavi Jalasjaa.

OK, I'm in 100% on insulating my sauna.

Is a plastic vapor barrier needed between the studs/insulation and the inside wall boards?

How about an infrared reflective material over the plastic and then inside wall boards?

I found the book on Amazon, used copies go for more than new ones!
Old 01-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
It could be a forever plan, but so far it's only been a thought for about 6 months. My son recently said he wanted to do a woodworking project and I said how about a sauna he said he was up for it. I keep reading about so many health benefits, lots of risk reduction categories.

Many Finnish ancestors of mine all swore by them and they are supposed to have may beneficial effects not to mention they are just very relaxing and rejuvenating.
My wife and I spent several nights in them in one of the Appalachian Mountain Club luxury huts up in the Moosehead area of Maine.
Nothing like snowshoeing at 10 degrees in pristine snow and unwinding in there and top it off with a great meal and sleeping in your own wood fired cabin under the massive LL Bean comforters
Old 01-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Many Finnish ancestors of mine all swore by them and they are supposed to have may beneficial effects not to mention they are just very relaxing and rejuvenating.
There's no question about that. I was introduced to the sauna back in the 70s, because some of the Air Force bases I was stationed at had them in the base gym. An incredibly nice way to unwind after a vigorous workout or a long run. And since the sauna was right next to the shower room, you could just go back and forth between the heat and a cold shower as often as you liked. I got so sold on it that some years after I retired I built one in our basement, and another in the next house we had. Now in our condo I have an infrared sauna which is nearly as good as the real thing. You can buy them prebuilt (modular) and they are very easy to assemble.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There's no question about that. I was introduced to the sauna back in the 70s, because some of the Air Force bases I was stationed at had them in the base gym. An incredibly nice way to unwind after a vigorous workout or a long run. And since the sauna was right next to the shower room, you could just go back and forth between the heat and a cold shower as often as you liked. I got so sold on it that some years after I retired I built one in our basement, and another in the next house we had. Now in our condo I have an infrared sauna which is nearly as good as the real thing. You can buy them prebuilt (modular) and they are very easy to assemble.

Yeah guess I need to step up my seriousness on this. Another "blow that dough" item.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

I've recently built a portable sauna for two months now out of 3/4” pine wood with no insulation inside the garage. It’s a 4’x5’x5’ (LxWxH) with a 3K-220 Volt conventional heater. It takes about 25-30 minutes to heat up to 160 degrees depending on outside temperature. By the time we finished with our session of 20 minutes, the temperature had reached 185-195 degrees depending how much water sprayed into the rocks. I was going to buy a Sunray 3-person sauna online but the lead time was 6 weeks or longer. I did a bunch of research, YouTube and ended up building one over the weekend for a total of $700. About $500 for woods from Lowes and $150 for a 3K heater on eBay. It's very small/tight but efficient - only 100 cubic feet and 5 feet tall so we must duck when entering but when seated on the bench, there's still 5 inches clearance from the ceiling. When spray/pour water on the rocks, most of the heat rises to the top of the ceiling so we end up sweating faster. Got an A+ compliment from DW on the DIY project so onto Steam shower next.
Mike2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
I built mine almost 15 years ago, so you need to take inflation into account. ALSO, I went totally top-shelf, so I spent more than I could have. (I used cedar framing, stainless steel fasteners, I have windows, mahogany trim, clear cedar 2x4 benches, etc.)

I spent about $5.6k in 2005 to build a 5'x8' sauna. I bought a "materials package" from a sauna manufacturer. It was not precut, but that was the best/easiest way to get, for example, clear cedar for the walls and benches. That cost about $3k. The heater was about $1k.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Ya, I've had some ideas, but don't know if they are really needed. I thought about a small window the size of a computer monitor, so I could mount a monitor to the window for either computer or TV, with keyboard and mouse wire running out to my computer, or wireless. But, it's only 20 minutes, so just some music or a podcast would be fine. Or, complete silence
I'm wondering about the foam insulation, I know there is one type better in high heat, but I don't know if it off gasses less, I was thinking I'd use fiberglas batting.
Quote:
OK, I'm in 100% on insulating my sauna.

Is a plastic vapor barrier needed between the studs/insulation and the inside wall boards?

How about an infrared reflective material over the plastic and then inside wall boards?

I found the book on Amazon, used copies go for more than new ones!
I used an aluminized vapor barrier, like aluminized kraft paper. This is both a vapor barrier and a heat reflector. However, as a physicist, I think the notion of a heat reflector in this application is bogus! (It is covered by wood, after all.) I just used fiberglass batt.

I do have two windows in my sauna. It is in my basement, and I incorporated a glass-block window to the outside (covered by thermal pane). It is soooo nice to have natural light in a sauna. I also put a thermal-pane window in to the finished basement. I also toyed with the idea of putting a monitor in the window, perhaps showing one of those videos of a log burning, but never did. I did put speaker wires and speakers in it, but I find I don't put music on very often any longer.

Make sure you get the layout correct. if you look at the commercial sauna-kit sites, they all want you to have ~18" benches all the way around. I have been in many dozens of saunas all around the world. When I was planning this project, I surreptitiously measured the sauna benches with a marked towel. (Seriously!) I designed one bench to be 24", and another to be 37". For the 24" one, you can either sit normally, or you can put your feet up on the same bench. For the 37" one, you can luxuriously lounge with your fee up. (You can sit normally, too, but then you cannot rest your back against the wall.)

I am happy to share any plans or other info if you wish. I will put a few pix into another post.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
You can get a 2 person IR sauna kit for a little over $1K, I got mine for under $1K but that was a few years ago. It can be plugged into a 115V socket and are fairly easy to setup and move if needed. Very happy with the one I have. If you go for a larger size (3 person or more) it will likely require a 220V circuit.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #19

Here are some pictures. Note that the last picture is of a changing area outside the sauna. The dimensions of the benches on the layout drawing are slightly wrong; correct dimensions given upthread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout.jpg (30.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bathers.jpg (165.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2831.JPG.jpg (138.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2861.JPG.jpg (120.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2874.JPG.jpg (99.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2877.JPG.jpg (213.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3088.JPG.jpg (117.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4197.JPG.jpg (125.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Here are some pictures. Note that the last picture is of a changing area outside the sauna. The dimensions of the benches on the layout drawing are slightly wrong; correct dimensions given upthread.
Very cool! I wish I had the skills to build that myself but I’m all thumbs when it comes to building things. I hope I can find a contractor who has your level of skill to design it correctly.