Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to "save" chairs at a beach or pool?
No, it is rude to other guests 73 68.22%
Yes, first come first serve 20 18.69%
Other... please explain 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never knew saving lounge chairs was a thing. I just thought people were just leaving used towels around (with no personal possessions) because they were messy, like our kids used to do at home.

In Hawaii we usually just buy the cheap woven roll up mats at a drug store each visit and use them on the beach.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your living a sheltered & non confrontational existence. Get in here & mud wrestle with people who really know how to get their money's worth from their vacation dollar.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #183

How far do you have to carry the chair when you take in down to the beach. Are You responsible for shlepping it back up to the cart caddy at the end of the day. How do you release a chair.
I will never get to a resort like that but I think I would buy a portable chair of my own
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I had thought, "Nice to meetcha, Karma."

Saving seats is arrogant, entitled behavior. If you aren't sitting in it, let the next person have it. Bathroom excursions excepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I think a proper response here might be, "So, Karma, do you always refer to yourself in the third person?"
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 AM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check the hotel's policy. Then follow the policy. If the hotel frowns on "saving" chairs, take one and tell the offended people to complain to mgmt.

These situations, (like watching people cut into a line in front of you), require a certain amount of willingness to confront people. Some of us will and some of us won't. The "wills" usually come across as jerks (but get satisfaction!). The "won'ts" usually stew about it, (and may have heart attacks). I have done both, and now days, usually just walk away and enjoy the sunset instead. Guess I am mellowing out as I age.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

If the hotel has any policy at all on smaller matters.

I haven't gotten either more or less mellow with age. Age has simply made me a more effective confronter. Given the behavior patterns I learned at home, I used to have very poor success; people either walked all over me, or else called me the b-word*.

Therefore, I watched other people - especially women, since gender strongly affects how people react to you - who seemed to be able to assert themselves without getting their heads handed to them, and copied their style.

*Which, of course, stands for Babe In Total Control of Herself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Check the hotel's policy. Then follow the policy. If the hotel frowns on "saving" chairs, take one and tell the offended people to complain to mgmt.

These situations, (like watching people cut into a line in front of you), require a certain amount of willingness to confront people. Some of us will and some of us won't. The "wills" usually come across as jerks (but get satisfaction!). The "won'ts" usually stew about it, (and may have heart attacks). I have done both, and now days, usually just walk away and enjoy the sunset instead. Guess I am mellowing out as I age.....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

For me it depends. I do not expect life to be fair. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"... if saving seats in normal, I would just get up and save what I needed myself. If I wanted to be sure no one would move my stuff, I'd probably leave something that look like bodily fluids on them . But I would do this based on my plans - if I intended to stay the majority of the day on the beach, fine. But if were just for a short time later in the day, I'd just have sometime else to use and would not worry about a chair. Besides, the shorter time I am there, the more likely I am going to be active than sitting in a chair... in the end it all balances out.

I haven't read the entire thread but it does raise the question of "reserving" in other situations. For example:

- Folks who go out early to set up their chairs/canopies at "prime" spots on the beach, even if they will not be back for hours. fair?
- People standing in front of a parking space in a crowded parking lot to reserve it for someone who is 10-30 minutes away. Fair?
- On Southwest, someone in the "A" boarding group getting on and saving a window/aisle/emergency root seat for a family member/friend in the "C" group. Fair?
At "open seating" events such as graduations, people getting their early to reserve large blocks of seats for their group. Fair?

I guess one can choose to get all wrapped up in this... I just try to go with the flow. Much less stress.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
It seems that the number of available beach lounge chairs is less than the total number of guests, so they are in high demand, especially during the first half of the day until people start to leave the beach in the afternoon. So some people get up early in the morning as soon as the chairs are unlocked and "save" chairs by moving a couple of chairs to a designated area of the beach and putting a towel or some of their stuff on and around the chairs to make it appear as if they are using the chairs, and then they go back to the hotel and do whatever...take a nap, have breakfast, go shopping...and then come back sometime later, possible midday to use the chairs.
So self-centered. It happens at the gym too. People setting up all of their stuff on the counter in front of one of the few blowdryers and then going in to take a shower. Just happened to me today. I used the dryer anyway. I have micro-short hair so it takes 2 minutes. Special Snowflake comes out of the shower and glares. By the time she had towel-dried her hair I was done.

One jerk started doing this with the only shower that has good water pressure. She would put a towel on the shower door, turn the water on, then take a swim for 30 minutes.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #189

This thread has exposed me to a new term. *unvacation*. As in *That is sooo unvacation, bro*. I think I like it. I bet we'll be seeing it in TV ads soon.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #190

I agree with the OP that it is totally rude of people to leave chairs and be gone for long periods of time. I would never remove personal belongings from a chair. Luckily, for me, I do not like sitting or laying in the sun, for more than 20-30 minutes.

I am enjoying reading this thread, and seeing other people's thoughts. It is amazing to see how some people takes things so personally. It makes me more aware that I might not be viewing a situation the same way that another person in public might be viewing it. I guess I should try to see things from another person's perspective, more than I already do. I try to be respectful and polite, but I am sure that I probably fail at that at times. I think that we should give other people, some slack, at times. Maybe they are normally very nice people, but something just happened to them, and they too are just failing to be their normal self, at the moment. If that is not the case, and they are jerks, then I pity them for the life that they are leading. I am so thankful, that I do not have to be around them for the rest of my life.

I agree with others who says, it is just a lawn chair, and to let it go. Life is too short.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #191

Brings up a semi-related subject. I have heard that Southwest Airlines does NOT have an official policy on savings seats when boarding and thus they DO allow people to do that. So if you are in the "A" boarding group you can save seats for people in the "C" boarding group and everybody in between just has to pass those nice seats by. A few people on this thread would probably be throwing blows on the plane... on their way to a vacation fighting about beach chairs. Lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #192

[/QUOTE=aaronc879;1761282
...If I came back and my chair was taken and I knew who took it, I would take it back by any amount of force that was necessary. If you end up in the hospital and I end up in jail, so be it. Don't touch other peoples things.[/QUOTE]
____

I'm not sure beating up a 74 year old lady who hails from Trenton, New Jersey is such a good idea (especially since you are almost 6'6"). You remember that house you want to move into? Well, that place will become hers. And, as for ending up in jail, that's a place where lots of other people will touch your things (or, so I hear). Even worse, some inmate will take away your Green Bay Packer jersey and not give it back(and, you really don't want to be goin' to management to complain).
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
... as for ending up in jail, that's a place where lots of other people will touch your things (or, so I hear)...
"Don't touch my junk". I remember that being said by an airline passenger to a TSA agent at an airport checkpoint, as quoted by the media.

I would not call mine "junk". I have more respect for my private parts.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Brings up a semi-related subject. I have heard that Southwest Airlines does NOT have an official policy on savings seats when boarding and thus they DO allow people to do that. So if you are in the "A" boarding group you can save seats for people in the "C" boarding group and everybody in between just has to pass those nice seats by. A few people on this thread would probably be throwing blows on the plane... on their way to a vacation fighting about beach chairs. Lol.
There again this isn't quite correct, if you want to sit in the empty seats you can. The seat savers are assuming that insisting to sit there will make you so uncomfortable during the flight that you will just move on and let them bully you. You really seem to be coming down on the side of aggressive behavior yourself. Its correct that SW flight attendants normally won't intervene against seat holding hogs, but that doesn't make it right. They allow it because they count on those of us who were raised properly to move on and not make a fuss.

If your motto is we should all get along, then you might address the behavior of the beach chair hogging and seat hogging entitled ones, who actually are the root cause of these problems.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

I haven't read the entire thread but it does raise the question of "reserving" in other situations. For example:

- Folks who go out early to set up their chairs/canopies at "prime" spots on the beach, even if they will not be back for hours. fair?
- People standing in front of a parking space in a crowded parking lot to reserve it for someone who is 10-30 minutes away. Fair?
- On Southwest, someone in the "A" boarding group getting on and saving a window/aisle/emergency root seat for a family member/friend in the "C" group. Fair?
At "open seating" events such as graduations, people getting their early to reserve large blocks of seats for their group. Fair?

I guess one can choose to get all wrapped up in this... I just try to go with the flow. Much less stress.
Yes go with the flow. Generally good advice.

Another example... when I go to get my hot dog and soda at Costco and there is a good size line. All the tables are pretty full. The couple at the very back of the line splits up. One grabs the next free table and the second stands in line for the next ten minutes. All very inefficient.

On flying, I have always been lucky to be one of those people who actually likes being at the back of the plane. Washrooms, galley, attendants close by, empty seats, safer, ...
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

If someone tries to "save" a seat on southwest that I want to sit in I just sit in it.

That's specifically not allowed.

First row: "who's sitting there" "my husband" "has he boarded" "no" "that's too bad; do you want the window or aisle seat?"
Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
If someone tries to "save" a seat on southwest that I want to sit in I just sit in it.

That's specifically not allowed.

First row: "who's sitting there" "my husband" "has he boarded" "no" "that's too bad; do you want the window or aisle seat?"
What if she had placed her purse on the seat next to her to "save" it for her husband and she refuses to move the purse even after you asked her to, what would you do then?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
What if she had placed her purse on the seat next to her to "save" it for her husband and she refuses to move the purse even after you asked her to, what would you do then?
call a flight attendant - SWA has a very strict "first come, first served" seating policy
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
call a flight attendant - SWA has a very strict "first come, first served" seating policy
No they don't. They allow people to save seats and expect passengers to resolve conflicts between themselves. The attendant will not interfere. This is well documented.

Even though they sell early boarding privileges, they allow passengers to game the system. Not good.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No they don't. They allow people to save seats and expect passengers to resolve conflicts between themselves. The attendant will not interfere. This is well documented.

Even though they sell early boarding privileges, they allow passengers to game the system. Not good.
I've seen them intervene