Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Down at my son's apartment in NYC it is much easier. Just go out to the sidewalk and put whatever you want down, and then look in the opposite direction for a minute or two. Presto Chango and POOF! its gone....
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have trouble where I live. I'm way out in the sticks and lot's of people just ignore my ads knowing how far away it is. I sell stuff, but it takes a while.

In Oregon, however, when we were selling my FIL's truck after he went into assisted living I posted and ad. I had 10 calls within half an hour, the first was within minutes of my posting the ad. Within two hours it sold. the guy who bought it told me he checked Craigslist every ten minutes all day long.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Is that you in the next tinypic holding up your trophy bucks after the sale?
No!! How random that that is the next pic!

My cash is in my cash stash, waiting for a deserving reason to be spent on something special.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
Down at my son's apartment in NYC it is much easier. Just go out to the sidewalk and put whatever you want down, and then look in the opposite direction for a minute or two. Presto Chango and POOF! its gone....
I use the upstate NY version of that. Put it out by the mailbox, and within 2 hours, or perhaps as long as 2 days, it is gone.
There are a lot of metal reclaimer types in the area, and people who need used things for their hunting camps, so nothing gets wasted.

As far as Craiglist goes, I sold a snowmobile last winter. It was a big ticket item and only serious buyers answered the ad.
I'm still not comfy with the idea of having complete strangers come to the door or inside for smaller cost items, so I give these items away through donation or as freebies by the side of the road.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
Items placed by the dumpsters disappear very quickly in my 55+ complex. I guess it's on the "gleaner's" hot list because lots of good stuff gets put out by people moving into smaller assisted living apts, nursing care, or moving in with family. I picked up a 2-drawer filing cabinet recently and my neighbor picked up a 3-drawer storage unit as we were heading out to do errands this morning!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Once I'm sure the Bowflex will fill all our strength training needs, I'll sell the weight bench and dumbbells. When I do, I'll include pictures of the goods, but also pictures like these below.

Sell the sizzle, not the steak!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #27

I've sold 2 Martin guitars ($1500 & $1900), a sofa ($25), a poker chip set ($15), a monitor, a desk ($100), and probably another one or two items I'm not remembering right now, on CL. I don't believe I've bought anything off there yet. Oh yeah, just remembered...I sold a mattress set & frame for I believe $60. Most of the above, buyers came & picked them up. One of the guitars, I actually delivered almost 100 miles. Had a good time jamming with the guy & his buddies, so worth the trip. Also just remembered...the sofa I sold listed above, I had previously bought on CL but it was very uncomfortable to me, so I re-sold it.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #28

Down the street from us today I saw this sign on an old exercycle at the curb -

"C'mon, you know you want it!"

It will be gone by morning.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We have not purchased or sold anything using it.

But I am starting to look at it for certain types of purchases.

For sales (to thin out stuff) I will probably use it when we downsize the home for certain items. I will get that hassle out of the way in one painful effort.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #30

I sold my 12 year old car on craigslist, it was the only place I advertised.

It was sold within 8 hours of my posting, for cash, at full price. I gave him back $50 as a Thank You for having just returned from Afghanistan duty four days earlier.

The A/C was not working, and it was going to be expensive to fix (a fact I of course disclosed, and I already had an estimate for him). But his specialty was fixing A/C units, so he said he could fix it for $300 instead of $1100 by doing it himself. Perfect!

One thing I think helped is that I disclosed every single flaw in the car. It was obvious I was an honest seller. The guy didn't even test drive it, he just started it up and listened to it idle. I went in the other room to show get him some maintenance records, and when I walked out he had a stack of cash on the table, full price.

Out of curiousity, I left the ad up. I never got a single additional call or email on it.

My late uncle had a saying about selling things -- "There is an ass for every chair"
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised how often people don't bargain. A number of times I get an "I'm going to buy your xxx. I'll be right over" call.

For something like a bike, I always write up a bill of sale with the standard legalese.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #32

I've tried selling a few coins on CL, but haven't had much luck there. I'll probably list them on ebay. I've done pretty well there in the past as a seller.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #33

After reading Trombone Al's post above, I remembered I also sold 2 sets (4 pcs) of dumbells on CL too! I guess I'm using more than I realized...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We've upgraded/refurnished our entire house from Craigslist. Spouse's latest purchase was a $79 Nook.

If the property burned down tomorrow, then after we rebuilt we'd refurnish it completely from Craigslist without ever visiting a retail store.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm surprised how often people don't bargain. A number of times I get an "I'm going to buy your xxx. I'll be right over" call. ........
I often do that. If the price is right and the seller seems legitimate, I don't usually try to bargain. That said, when I have asked I have usually gotten the price reduced, especially on items that have been advertised for a while.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Love - Hate Relationship With Craigslist..
Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Love - Hate Relationship With Craigslist..

I love the results with craigslist. Sold two cars and misc. stuff using craigslist. Made great money, but hated the haggling and "meeting" one on one. Just hard to trust people these days, that's why I like E-bay, except for shipping and handling.
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #37

I don't bargain unless the description was inaccurate, but I understand it's used.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #38

On CL purchases, I always ask if they'll take less but am not the least bit upset if they won't. I figure they've got the right to set their price wherever they want.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I found 2 sellers selling the same item, one for $30 and the other for $100. I asked the latter if he was offering anything else and he got mad. So I bought the $30 for $25.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I found 2 sellers selling the same item, one for $30 and the other for $100. I asked the latter if he was offering anything else and he got mad. So I bought the $30 for $25.
Ask the $100 seller if he wants to buy another one for $50 or so. He can potentially make $50 and you make $25.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote