Sb squares

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello All. Happy New Year. I was wondering what is etiquette on tipping for winning a football square. Seems like it may be a personal issue. Anyway I'm considering getting in a 1000 dollar a square SB square. I'm looking at the payouts and it appears there is 90k in payout. So apparently this person is taking 10% off the top. Is it me or does this seem a bit much for the operator? My thought is if I do get involved and win it would not be inappropriate to not tip.

I've never heard of anyone tipping after winning a pool bet or square bet. I always thought that people running pools/ football squares at work were doing it partly for fun/socialization.

I learned something new today.

I have no idea, but I did watch and enjoy the movie Molly's Game with Jessica Chastain. One thing I remember from that movie is that it was all (barely?) on the right side of legal until the Molly character took a vig, which is what your "10% off the top" sounds like. That made it definitely illegal and Molly ended up getting prosecuted at the federal level.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't participate in an operation like you're describing, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't tip someone for the service of involving me in something that appears to be illegal.

As an aside, gambling winnings are taxable income and you should report the $90K on your tax return. Although I doubt this person will issue you a W-2G (although they should). Gambling losses and expenses are a Schedule A deduction up to the amount of winnings.

I’ve heard of such things (SB Squares). Hypothetically speaking, of course, if the person managing the pool takes a fee, then there would be no tipping. I’ve also heard of a situation where a guy who knew the guy running the pool obtained a square for someone else. So there was an intermediary. It would be appropriate to tip that person for going above and beyond. Good luck.

I don't participate if there are tips involved or if anyone is getting a cut.

Back
Top Bottom