Scam or no scam ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I purchased an awning system for my deck in early Sept .. It was supposed to be delivered in October . It never came so I called the company and was told it would be done in two weeks . Three weeks later I called and was told it would be delivered before Thanksgiving . They said they would call me to confirm . Well they called and said there was a big problem with getting the material and they had no idea when it would be done . I said Cancel the order and they hung up on me . I immediately called my credit card and opened a claim . A day later they say the awning is ready and it will be shipped immediately and I will get an email notice from UPS . Today I got a bizarre call from someone claiming to be UPS ( they stammered the whole time and instead of saying my whole name they slurred my first name and were very vague about a shipment ) . I really do not think the call was from UPS and I am getting scam vibes . So what do the board members think ? Scam or no scam ?

I think it's a scam. It has all the warning signs. Check with your credit card company ASAP. Even if the company you ordered from exists, it may be a money laundering operation.

Many years ago I had a somewhat similar experience with a travel agency (which someone recommended to me). They billed me twice for an airline ticket. When I challenged them, I got similar responses to those you are experiencing now. It turned out that this was their modus operandi, often with corporate customers with multiple business trips. My testimony was instrumental in sending the operators to jail.

Stick with the credit card company claim. This supplier is a company that Should be out of business.

Stick with the credit card company claim. This supplier is a company that Should be out of business.

I am going to . I think the phony UPS call was an attempt for me to drop the claim . My gut says they are in big trouble and just buying time.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...it's a duck. As an old time saleperson, this one smells to high heaven. Go with your gut instinct as you're a smart lady.

Scam. You can verify by asking for a UPS tracking number and tracking it at the UPS site. UPS wouldn't call unless they had your package and couldn't find you.

Sounds like a scam.
However, even if it isn't I would not do business with such poor treatment.

Scam. If you had posted a poll scam would be at 100%

There are flim flam salespeople even in big corporations as the main office expects X number of sales. If they aren't making it in that branch, they get desperate and...well, you know how it goes. Trust me on this one as I have worked with creeps like that who can't make honest sales (i.e., they rifle my desk to steal leads when I would be gone, too) and treat the customer well plenty of times. They usually don't last in what they are doing, but they are out there aplenty all over in all sizes of companies.

Selling is one business where just being affiliated with a major corporation won't give much protection to the customer many times, unfortunately.

Just ask for the tracking number of the shipment. If no number then all is BS.

Moemg: Why don't you call their head office or regional office if they have one? Then sit back and watch how FAST you get your order completed. That's what I would do.

Don't deal with the salesman or that office anymore. Just start climbing heads and go to the TOP head FIRST. You'll get some action then and fast.

Unfortunately, salespeople are notoriously lazy often. The bad ones, anyway, and 5/8ths of any office are not very good or conscientious. They will flim flam and skim scam you every chance they can if they are one of the bad ones. You will have to take the bull by the horns here and let them know: Moemg means business.

Moemg: Why don't you call their head office or regional office if they have one? Then sit back and watch how FAST you get your order completed. That's what I would do.

Don't deal with the salesman or that office anymore. Just start climbing heads and go to the TOP head FIRST. You'll get some action then and fast.

Unfortunately, salespeople are notoriously lazy often. The bad ones, anyway, and 5/8ths of any office are not very good or conscientious. They will flim flam and skim scam you every chance they can if they are one of the bad ones. You will have to take the bull by the horns here and let them know: Moemg means business.

The reason I am not doing that is because I really have no interest in dealing with this company any longer . My gut tells me they are on the brink of bankruptcy so even if I get my awning the company will be long gone if I have any problems.

Probably a scam. It might be worth calling UPS, telling them someone may be impersonating them (this would get their attention), and finding out if it was in fact not them.

The reason I am not doing that is because I really have no interest in dealing with this company any longer . My gut tells me they are on the brink of bankruptcy so even if I get my awning the company will be long gone if I have any problems.
Moemg
You have nailed it--these folks probably have some serious cash flow issues and their suppliers have them on cod for all purchaes. Even big national companies can have serious cash management issues--think GM. No cash to buy to fabric, mechanism parts, etc, no awning for Moemg.
By all means maintain your claim with CC.
Nwsteve

Here’s a dissenting opinion. I would give them the benefit of the doubt but go ahead and do what you have to, like canceling the order and/or making a claim.

As a teenager I worked for a small family-owned factory that was behind on its orders. They were perfectly legit but they stalled and were very slow to return phone calls; and I covered for them. One Saturday morning, partner two was visiting partner one in the hospital, partner three was having her hair done and partner four was at a fire during volunteer work as a paramedic. I used that excuse repeatedly and it often was true. After a few months they did catch up and continued to do business with the same buyers. Wish I still had a sample of one of the almost hand-made wooden objects they produced there. btw, we still keep in touch with the remaining family members, best friends ever.

Here’s a dissenting opinion. I would give them the benefit of the doubt but go ahead and do what you have to, like canceling the order and/or making a claim.

As a teenager I worked for a small family-owned factory that was behind on its orders. They were perfectly legit but they stalled and were very slow to return phone calls; and I covered for them. One Saturday morning, partner two was visiting partner one in the hospital, partner three was having her hair done and partner four was at a fire during volunteer work as a paramedic. I used that excuse repeatedly and it often was true. After a few months they did catch up and continued to do business with the same buyers. Wish I still had a sample of one of the almost hand-made wooden objects they produced there. btw, we still keep in touch with the remaining family members, best friends ever.

I agree ! The only thing that made me pause is it is a big company not some Mom & Pop operation .

Sounds like it's not Mom and Pop. I doubt they are all out getting their hair done. :LOL:

Scam. Cancel.

Well the canopy arrived today . No email from UPS , no call from the company but the good news is it arrived so it was not a scam . I called Capital one to close the dispute and give the company it's money .Unfortunately their dispute center has been outsourced and no one can figure how to do that . I also sent an email to the company saying what I did . So how long do you think it will take them to discover they have sent me a free canopy system . I thought they would have either sent it COD or called to tell me it was on the way and they were resubmitting the bill but nothing .Is this a great company or what ? Well I just heard from the canopy company . No we are resubmitting the bill just Happy Holidays from the ST company !:cool:

That's a surprise Moe!
I wonder how much custom they have lost because of all the real friends you told. They may not be scammers but they sound incompetent.
Enjoy the awning!

Back
Top Bottom