Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Schwab move $250K for $600 bonus
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Schwab move $250K for $600 bonus

Hi all

I am wondering if anybody took this offer by Schwab to move $250K of IRA money and get $600.

I have my IRAs in VG, but free money is always attractive.

Pros, cons?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity is running a similar deal. I'll have a 401k to rollover late next year, but until then everything is where I need it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

With these rollover deals, are the offers typically less (or $0) if one already has an account with the brokerage?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Administrator

I'll stick with Vanguard. That Schwab needs to pay money to get an account transferred doesn't set right and leads me to conclude there could be other issues to worry about.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #5

I would not do it. Too much hassle for $600, and there may be strings attached.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
With these rollover deals, are the offers typically less (or $0) if one already has an account with the brokerage?
The fine print on the schwab site says new or existing IRAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'll stick with Vanguard. That Schwab needs to pay money to get an account transferred doesn't set right and leads me to conclude there could be other issues to worry about.
Used Schwab for many years, no problems at all, no gimmicks, no sales pitches, very pleased. Lots of places offer cash or something to open an account.

But for $600 to move 250k that I already had invested... I'd probably pass.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
ETrade has a similar offer effective until the end of the year. I was tempted to transfer new money from my 401K but then I will lose the quarterly dividend which will be more than $600.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We took advantage of the Etrade offer this year, and a similar TD Ameritrade offer last year. Both times, we transferred shares, not cash, so didn't need to liquidate anything or miss out on any dividends. It didn't cost anything, and the hassle was all-told a couple hours. The fine print, as far as I can tell, is that if we do this again and close the Etrade account, we'll have to pay about $60 each. However, the TD Ameritrade offer paid any account closure fees, so a similar offer in the future would take care of that problem. All in all, I'd say it was well worth it for us.
sunsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

If you do the transfer, do your IRA investments stay invested while everything moves over? And even if they could do a transfer in-kind, I'd be worried that they would mess it up, cash out the equities and that my IRA investments would be out of the market for the month it takes to move over.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

In-kind xfers have always been done correctly for me, but perhaps I've been lucky. I scribble on the xfer form "IN KIND" in big letters and keep a copy. Everything stays invested during such xfers since basically they are nothing more than an electronic blip that moves each holding from one account to another.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Hi all
I am wondering if anybody took this offer by Schwab to move $250K of IRA money and get $600.
I have my IRAs in VG, but free money is always attractive.
Pros, cons?
Not entirely free, you will get a 1099-misc for this transaction so Uncle Sam will want his cut.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll stick with Vanguard. .......
It takes more than 0.24 basis points to bribe me. Unless you do an in-kind transfer, normal daily market movement could wipe out the $600 in the blink of an eye.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It takes more than 0.24 basis points to bribe me. Unless you do an in-kind transfer, normal daily market movement could wipe out the $600 in the blink of an eye.
+1

The deal that Ing Sharebuilder ran a few months ago was a much better deal.
$250 to move $25,000 in IRA assets.

Did this for both myself and DW and the bonuses have indeed been paid.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In my way of thinking, why turn down .24 basis points on an in-kind transfer? It's free money.
sunsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(pedant on)

Actually, it's 24 basis points, which is the same as 0.24%. A basis point is usually defined as 0.01% so 0.24 basis points on $250K would be $6, or 0.0024%.

(pedant off)

Still, you are right to some degree, 0.24% is noise given the day to day machinations of the market. But it's still free money, so to speak, assuming there aren't strings attached. And I've been a satisfied Schwab customer since 1989.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My bad, I dropped a couple digits.

100 bp = 1% = .01
24 bps = .0024 = $600/$250,000
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #17

Here open 25 $10000 accounts get $5000.

sharebuilder.JPG
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ziggy is right a basis point is .01% or .0001.

Over the years I have taken advantage of a number of bonus. I have collected modest amount money $100 to $200, free morningstar newsletters etc. from Fidelity, Ameritrade, OptionsExpress, and gotten my Mom money from Schwab. There is a minor hassle involved, in but the hourly earning rate isn't bad.

Part of the reason for me to do so is just to check out the functionality of the other brokerage. So I can boast well I've have had accounts with lots of the major brokerages and I like Schwab the best when the topic comes up on ER
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

Has anyone worked the 'account retention' card? A modified version of it worked for me last year and DH is getting an ipad for Christmas with the $ .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Careful with in-kind transfers. I tried to transfer my Fidelity employer 401k to Vanguard and even though the funds are in Vanguard funds-Fidelity would liquidate and send cash to Vanguard to reinvest. I spoke to Vanguard several times and they checked with their legal dept- no way around it.
Gonzo304 is offline   Reply With Quote