Scientists Acccidentlly Create a New Fish Species

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know if I'm happy or totally creeped out.

Scientists don’t usually set out to create new species of, well, anything. Generally speaking, creating new species is thought to be a risky endeavor and, of course, there are the ethical hurdles to scale as well. It’s just not a good idea, but as Ian Malcolm once said, life finds a way, and researchers in Hungary seem to have spawned an entirely new fish hybrid completely on accident.

In a new study published in Genes, the researchers describe how they accidentally created a hybrid of two endangered fish species: the American paddlefish and the Russian sturgeon. The team was trying to get the sturgeon species to reproduce asexually, but that’s when things went a bit off the rails.
https://bgr.com/2020/07/21/sturddlefish-hybrid-sturgeon-paddlefish/

I was essentially just accidental version of regular crossbreeding like animal husbandry aficionados have been doing for centuries. The researchers are, wisely, keeping the product in the lab. Less concerned people would dump them in a lake to see what happens.

That sounds like it could make excellent caviar!

Trying to get sturgeon to reproduce asexually? That blows my mind a little!

I was also an accidental crossbreeding - of different ethnicities though.
I was essentially just accidental version of regular crossbreeding like animal husbandry aficionados have been doing for centuries. The researchers are, wisely, keeping the product in the lab. Less concerned people would dump them in a lake to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom