Join Early Retirement Today

Scooter
Old 01-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scooter

I'm considering the purchase of a Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter.
Do you have a scooter? Do you use it, and enjoy driving it.
If it is a Zuma, have you had good luck with it?

FYI: the engine is a four stroke with fuel injection, and it gets 130mpg. I think top speed is about 35mph.

Thanks, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I always longed to drive motorcycles, and have been a passenger a couple of times.

About 12 years ago, a co-worker brought her new scooter to work, so I took it for a drive on a nice empty street.
I liked it, but was surprised that I found it scary as the wheels are small, so hitting a pothole or large rock on the road would have magnified results. It was plenty fast even though the speed was about 25mph as I felt close to the road.

I didn't get one.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I always longed to drive motorcycles, and have been a passenger a couple of times.

About 12 years ago, a co-worker brought her new scooter to work, so I took it for a drive on a nice empty street.
I liked it, but was surprised that I found it scary as the wheels are small, so hitting a pothole or large rock on the road would have magnified results. It was plenty fast even though the speed was about 25mph as I felt close to the road.

I didn't get one.
Sunset,
The scooter is my friend's, and it is temporarily in my garage. I took a ride on it this afternoon, up to the neighborhood grocery store.
It was fun, but also a little unsafe feeling. I ride a bicycle all of the time, but this small scooter goes 35mph. Definitely a different feeling.
I like the idea of it as alternative transportation.
We are a couple miles to the beach, and parking is a hassle. There is free available parking for bikes and scooters at several small prime beach parking locations.
The roads are not set up well for bikes, but a scooter could potentially drive right down there in the right car lane.
I'm going to try doing this to see how it goes.
JP
Old 01-27-2023, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I know too many folks who have been nearly destroyed by being hit while riding a scooter. They are very big here, but also very dangerous as we have lots of traffic. The gas mileage is amazing, but what would you pay to restore a leg that wasn't just broken in several places but actually pulverized? Friends' young'un recently experienced that kind of accident. Likely will not walk for a year - will never walk well again. Not worth it in my humble opinion but YMMV.

Sorry, but that's my take on the subject.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had a Honda Ruckus for about 15 years. It’s a great scooter. We live in a fairly remote subdivision. I ride it March/April through September/October ever take it on a road with a speed limit over 40 mph. My wife had a Honda Metropolitan. 2,000 miles on her’s 8,500 on mine. They are fun to ride, and we both have enjoyed them, however it is time to say goodbye. Eighty year olds don’t heal as fast as sixty year olds. Also the Ruckus Ed’s some woek, I.e. breaks.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter.
Do you have a scooter? Do you use it, and enjoy driving it.
If it is a Zuma, have you had good luck with it?

FYI: the engine is a four stroke with fuel injection, and it gets 130mpg. I think top speed is about 35mph.

Thanks, JP
I have never had a scooter (or motorcycle), but if I recall correctly you are in Bonita Springs. I did drive a scooter years ago in St. Croix and liked it. For a short ride to the beach, I would definitely consider it.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #7

What’s your intended use? That will drive the size requirement.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
What’s your intended use? That will drive the size requirement.
Back up transportation for my truck and bike.
Traveling to the beach with easy parking.
My concerns are mainly safety.
JP
Old 01-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #9

Well, if safety is your top priority, ditch the scooter and drive the car.

Recently thought about swapping out the golf cart for a scooter to use for beach runs, but DW didn’t agree.

I rode motorcycles in the early to mid-90’s and recently bought another. There’s always a higher risk in vehicle w/o airbags and ABS. I’m thrilled to be back on two wheels with an engine on the open road. At this point in my life, I’ll take the risk with two wheels and a throttle.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #10

I think it would depend on the amount of traffic in the area and how comfortable you would be around it on a scooter. You can start to feel really small and vulnerable when surrounded by much larger vehicles in traffic.

We tried motorcycles for fun when we first moved to Phoenix. We took the motorcycle training class which is highly recommended for all thinking about two wheel motor vehicles. Proper gear like a helmet and gloves should always be worn. They may not be comfortable but can save you a lot of pain if you go down. We gave up on it after realizing how bad drivers are around here. We were on a smaller road and going through one of those round abouts when a car almost took out my wife. Decided it was not worth the risk.
I guess you need to decide if it's worth the risk in your area.
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HOTinPHX View Post
I think it would depend on the amount of traffic in the area and how comfortable you would be around it on a scooter. You can start to feel really small and vulnerable when surrounded by much larger vehicles in traffic.

We tried motorcycles for fun when we first moved to Phoenix. We took the motorcycle training class which is highly recommended for all thinking about two wheel motor vehicles. Proper gear like a helmet and gloves should always be worn. They may not be comfortable but can save you a lot of pain if you go down. We gave up on it after realizing how bad drivers are around here. We were on a smaller road and going through one of those round abouts when a car almost took out my wife. Decided it was not worth the risk.
I guess you need to decide if it's worth the risk in your area.
Reality. IMO, you have to think everyone in a "cage" (car) is on the road for the sole purpose of killing you. Riding with that mindset reduces one's risk, but doesn't eliminate it.

More specific to OP, if the route to the beach involves mixing it up with 40-50 mph traffic on a 50cc scooter, I wouldn't do it. Not enough power to manage the distance between me and others. Have to control the space around you to reduce the risk of being unprotected on 2 wheels. It's a 25 mph speed limit from my house to the beach on a low traffic road, and I'll do that without a helmet, while believing everyone else is out to kill me.

To the OP, if you're publicly asking about this, you may not be comfortable managing the traffic and speed differential (no different than a bicyclist in that situation, IMO). If you're not, don't. The convenience and wind in your face isn't worth it.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Back up transportation for my truck and bike.
Traveling to the beach with easy parking.
My concerns are mainly safety.
JP

If you looking at a 50cc scooter my guess is 35 top speed. Maybe 45 downhill with the wind behind you. The model you mentioned is fine for its intended use.

I have a Harley ultra classic and a old school bobber that I had built. The bobber is something I don’t ride anymore and am considering trying to Facebook or craigslist it trade for maybe a scooter. My intended use was to ride it in the Diablo run to Mexico.

If I go the scooter route I want probably at 150 cc as something I could put in the back of my new small maverick truck for road trips or the other option is a couple of e-bikes for the same purpose.

As people have already indicated motorcycles scooters etc come with inherit risks but it gets in your blood.

Purchase the right tool for the job and know its limitation along with your own.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
When I briefly looked at scooters years ago, there was a size limit for riding without a motorcycle license.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Bikers are tired of dying for America's right to drive badly.

"I didn't see the motorcycle" OK, lose your license forever. Not legal to drive blind.

How can you not see a motorcycle? They are much bigger than people. Or do you run down pedestrians also?

Yeah, you have to ride like you're invisible.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Bikers are tired of dying for America's right to drive badly.

"I didn't see the motorcycle" OK, lose your license forever. Not legal to drive blind.

How can you not see a motorcycle? They are much bigger than people. Or do you run down pedestrians also?

Yeah, you have to ride like you're invisible.
Unfortunately, at least here, we actually DO run down pedestrians as well as motorcycles. The size differences seem destined to cause bad interactions - especially since our traffic is often heavy. Most of our thoroughfares are 6 lanes wide (one way and two way as well.) A pedestrian crossing this "shooting gallery" experiences danger to the extreme. Scooters and motorcycles don't fare much better.

Rightly/wrongly or what have you, motorists really do NOT see them. I'm sure there are studies on this. (Here is just one: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0105082243.htm )

Thank God, I've never hit a pedestrian or scooter, but I HAVE failed to see them. Maybe I SHOULD turn in my DL. I really DO try to be careful. Negotiating traffic does take a lot of mental and visual acuity. It leaves less ability to see objects (like humans on foot or scooters) in the mix of traffic.

Only slightly off topic: Now that we have dedicated bike lanes, EVERYONE has to learn a new way of driving. The only reason we don't kill dozens of people on bikes IN bike lanes is that the bike lanes are not actually used much.

Imagine traveling on a one way street. You wish to turn left. To do so, you must first cross a bike lane. Cars are parked on the street, blocking your view of the bike lane which is NOT one way. So, as you turn left (into a business or access road) bikes could be coming your way from either direction at over 15 mph or more. You can NOT see because of the parked cars. When you stop to look for bikes, you stand a good chance of being rear ended - I've seen it happen. At the very least, you get honked at for taking so long to make a "simple" left turn (and I ALWAYS use my turn signals - unlike most folks here.)

I mention "bikes" because bike lanes are yet one more distraction that takes ones attention from looking for pedestrians and scooters on 6 lane surface streets, etc. IT IS Dangerous out there - having some extra metal around you makes you easier to see and offers more protection if you are not seen. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #16

I have owned 3 motorcycles and 2 restored vintage Vespa scooters for the past 25 years. My wife also has ridden motorcycles for maybe 40 years and now rides a Can-Am Spyder. After riding the scooters we found they were just too dangerous (top heavy and not as balanced as a motorcycle) and decided to sell them. I stopped riding motorcycles recently due mainly to how dangerous it has become. I purely love riding motorcycles but had one too many close calls from car drivers. It just wasn't worth the risk anymore.
Good luck!
Now I am seeing many people riding electric bicycles and most of what I see from them is NUTS. I even see many kids in addition to adults (10 yrs old and even younger) carelessly riding them in traffic and ignoring traffic laws and stop signs. I expect there is going to be an increase in traffic deaths and injuries with these inexperienced riders with no training.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #17

We love our scooter. Makes running small errands fun to do. We have a Honda 150 cc so it can go 65 mph if needed. It can accelerate quickly for fun or safety reasons.
Agree with previous poster about assuming all other vehicles are trying to kill you. For example at a stop light to avoid getting crushed from behind I always keep enough space in front of me to throttle forward and swerve.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:24 AM   #18

I am 71 and have been riding motorcycles since the mid 60's. My current ones since 2001 are Yamaha Royal Star Venture 1300cc 850 lb monsters & People still can't see me. My DW & I just bought ourselves 2 E bikes to ride when we go camping. I thought about selling my Motorcycle and getting scooters but I'm going to hold off until I see how we like the bikes. I know my time on my big RSV is probably coming closer to the end because of the weight. As has been said if you do get a scooter take a training class or look at the "Ride like a pro" video's on utube. Then ride with your head on a swivel so the cagers don't kill you!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have had a few scooters and motorcycles. We live on an island in a tourist town so there are a lot of them. Then there is bike week, a completely different subject and story, a few seem to kill themselves every year.

People are programmed here to notice them and take extra care. I have not heard of any accidents with a tourist scooter in all the time we have been here. They are all put-put 49cc toys. I have had a 300cc and a 150cc scooter and much prefer the 150cc, a good compromise between power, weight and acceleration. I would not get a 49cc Scooter or bike. The newer ones are fuel injected with hydraulic disk brakes front and rear, definitely the way to go.

A sensible scooter is an ideal mode of transport for pustying around our town, for fun, pleasure or short errands.

I agree with the poster's observation on e-bike riders, it is going to become, if not already is an issue.