Scotch recommendation

+1 for Highland Park 12, I enjoy several others too, but like this quote:

"I strongly recommend that the Scotch single malt be "approached" in the same manner that one would a member of the opposite sex that may intrigue you. An open mind, patience, sincere attention to detail and an opportunity for it to reveal and exhibit its unique special qualities may disclose an "individual" whose company you can enjoy on many occasions. It could also be that you will meet that individual who you will want to spend a lifetime with."

12 to 18 year old whiskies are usually a sweet spot taste and $$ wise
When still working I usually spent half the year in Japan, enjoyed many of their single malts. I also tried Hibiki 12 & 17 which is a Japanese blended whisky, surprise, blended whisky can be quite enjoyable.

Attachments

• Scotch Flavormap.jpg
    Scotch Flavormap.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 30
Interesting thread (and thanks to springnr for posting that chart). I have tried many on that chart but this gives me a good spring board to expand my collection.

My first scotch I ever tried was Lagavulin 16. It took me about 3 years to try a scotch again! It is an acquired taste for sure. Second time I tried a Glenlivet 12 and it was better. My wife knew I was interested in scotch and got me a Glenmorangie 18 for Christmas one year and I was hooked after that.

I even went back and did the Lagavulin and enjoyed it the second time! I have never ordered a scotch though at a bar as I can't pronounce half of them! I prefer mine neat, but I have on occasion put a splash of water in them, but generally prefer it neat.

I usually drink good single malts neat, but that's not necessarily how it's 'supposed to be done,' it's still subject to some controversy. While it's easy to find credible experts who insist on 'neat,' you can just as easily find many bonafide experts, and even many native Scotch producers, who advocate a splash of water (not ice) to open up the flavor of Scotch. Depends largely on the alcohol content (e.g. cask strength), a splash isn't necessary for lower alcohol Scotch.

Here's but one of many:
1. The experts drink whisky with water. You can toss out any notion that real men drink Scotch room-temperature and neat, or that a splash of water will somehow mar a single malt's perfection. Water actually opens up the flavors of Scotch, which is why professionals like Winchester add in a few drops before tasting.
Scotch Drinking Tips - Insider's Guide to Scotch from Glenlivet

Last edited:
Despite the many recommendations (mostly reflecting personal taste or popular middle of the road single malts) - what you're asking is really not possible IMO. And we'd have to know what 'break the bank' means to you - some folks would consider any single malt expensive - most start at $30-40/750ml and go up from there.

A "true Scotch drinker" will most likely have preferences, and Scotch can vary wildly from blended to single malt, and the regional differences are considerable. I am/was a true Scotch drinker, but my favorite Scotch is Lagavulin (Islay) - way too peaty for most Scotch lovers. DW drinks Balvenie Doublewood almost exclusively. Of course I would be grateful/touched to receive a bottle of a mainstream single malt like Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12 but if you're hoping to make an impression beyond the kindness of gift (certainly meaningful in itself)...

I would ask the neighbor's spouse confidentially or take the opportunity to see what the neighbor is already drinking and go from there. Or invite him/her over and offer a Scotch, and then casually ask what their brand(s) is. We could probably help with a little more insight. If that's not possible, an entry level Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are very safe choices - relatively mild mannered but good. Sorta like giving quality vanilla or chocolate ice cream to a 'true ice cream lover'...

Once upon a time I gave a present to a friend's dad. He was a beer drinker and so I bought him a case of what he normally drank. Then after we were drinking a couple it came out that the only reason he drank that brand was because he was retired and really couldn't afford a better one 😀. We had a good laugh about it, I would much rather have bought him one that he "couldn't afford"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I usually drink good single malts neat, but that's not necessarily how it's 'supposed to be done,' it's still subject to some controversy. While it's easy to find credible experts who insist on 'neat,' you can just as easily find many bonafide experts, and even many native Scotch producers, who advocate a splash of water (not ice) to open up the flavor of Scotch. Depends largely on the alcohol content (e.g. cask strength), a splash isn't necessary for lower alcohol Scotch.

Here's but one of many:

Some of the best Scotches I've had were cask strength. Don't know the names, but yes we did add a few drops of water to "open them up".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Here's but one of many:

I also used to drink it neat but had heard that the Scots drink it with a little water. When we moved to Scotland (Dumfries in the SW) I discovered that all the pubs had small jugs of room temperature water on the bar and all the locals put a splash into their scotch before drinking.

I also discovered that no matter when you visited someone they always offered you a "wee dram" and produced a jug of water for you to add a little to your drink. We lived there about 20 months and by the time we left I concluded that not only did the Scots never drink their scotch without water, they also never drank their water without scotch.

ETA
We have visited several distilleries in Scotland and they all recommend adding water, and provide water for use during the tasting sessions

Last edited:
A Scot taught me how to appreciate scotch and he often added water to his dram. If the spirit is bottled at more than 40%, I add water. Just a few drops if it is bottled at 43-46%, and a good splash if it is bottled at cask strength. I think it helps to bring the flavors out.

Wow! You guys are more into this than different withdrawal techniques. I like most of the Islay Whiskys, but for the last 2 years I simplify life, save some money and gain pleasure by avoiding all spirits other than vodka and Cognac.

I have great associations with the common blends of my college years, Ballantines, Black and White with the cute Scotty dogs, and Teacher's Highland Cream.

Ha

Last edited:
OP here... had no idea about the many kinds and nuances of scotch.. now I'm educated.... My DW asked his DW and his day to day scotch is Dewars, so I just got a bottle of the 12 year special. It's not a gift, it's just that I need to stock some scotch for their visits to our house.

OP here... had no idea about the many kinds and nuances of scotch.. now I'm educated.... My DW asked his DW and his day to day scotch is Dewars, so I just got a bottle of the 12 year special. It's not a gift, it's just that I need to stock some scotch for their visits to our house.
Good call. If he drinks Dewars White Label, he should appreciate the 12 year old.

Macallan man myself. Bonus: my Costco sells both 12 and 18.

Drinking single malts can be a bit snobby IMHO. Johnny Walker Black label is nice and the Gold is even better....never tasted the Green or the Blue.

Back in 1984 I went on a train trip around Scotland with my girlfriend and we stayed at a lot of railway hotels and drank the local whisky. One of my best memories is sitting outside the Lochalsh Hotel after dinner with her and a couple of Taliskers; The whiskey was good, the view was fantastic and so was the company.

I concluded that not only did the Scots never drink their scotch without water, they also never drank their water without scotch.
Good observation. They live a rich life...
Scots Left Reeling as Canadian Whisky named Worlds Best
Scots left reeling as Canadian whisky named world's best.
Good catch! Thanks.
for the last 2 years I simplify life, save some money and gain pleasure by avoiding all spirits other than vodka and Cognac.
I have recently replaced cognac with sipping whisky but otherwise same conclusion. (Costco sells a 6yo blended Cdn rye here in PV.) Plus a little red wine!
Thanks

Wow! You guys are more into this than different withdrawal techniques. I like most of the Islay Whiskys, but for the last 2 years I simplify life, save some money and gain pleasure by avoiding all spirits other than vodka and Cognac.
Though it was my go to for more than 10 years, I don't drink Scotch very often anymore. Good single malts are expensive indeed, and I like change - so rum is my usual summer drink and bourbon is my usual winter choice. Also like red wine or liqueurs once in a while. Variety...

Tried a 20 year Battlehill single malt scotch that is definitely my new favorite. Bought a bottle for my father in law and he's a convert too. Problem is I have to drive an hour to Delaware to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom