Join Early Retirement Today

Screaming Kids in Restaurants...
Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Screaming Kids in Restaurants...

Had another dining experience ruined by screaming kids - two young hipster parents with an infant and a 3ish girl and 5ish boy. I could go on and on, but ultimately there’s nothing anyone can do about it because you can’t shame parents who allow their kids to misbehave in public in the first place. If the restaurant or other patrons intervene, they’re the bad guys in today’s PC world. If it’s an upscale restaurant they’ll intervene. But if it’s a casual place, your only choice is to grin and bear it and move as far as possible, the restaurant can’t choose their patrons.

And of course when the screaming kids family left, the servers had a mess to clean up on the table, chairs and floor.

[/rant]

Yes, first world problems...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have had a lot of this problem lately. As we’re getting older, we are having a much harder time with the screaming. It seems like some parents are in the hands off mode now when it comes to parenting.

Some restaurants we’ve completely eliminated from going because of this problem.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess that's the last time they'll see you at Chucky Cheese!

As a kid I could always tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were and extension cord and a toaster!
SpartacusSchmartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Many years ago my mom sent me an article from a Miami paper about this problem. The author's last line was:"It's not it takes a village to raise a child, it's it takes a village to tell them to shut up"
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

If this is a problem before I receive my meal I tell the manager and leave. If my meal has already been served then I speak with the manager and request my meal be comped. If they don't provide a pleasant environment for dining then they won't have my money or patronage.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusSchmartacus View Post
Of course it wasn’t. It was a casual restaurant with full bar, that’s usually reasonable noise levels, but they don’t prohibit families. IMO blaming the restaurant for screaming kids when it’s an exception is unfair. That “solution” would eventually leave us only the choice of way upscale or those bland AYCE buffet places like Golden Corral crawling with seniors...

Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

When I was in France at a steak place, I did speak out loud in English to my husband in a conversation, hoping they didn’t understand me, that these were awful kids, parents should do better, when our kids were young, they never pulled anything close to this, etc.. sure enough, one father did manage to tell his son not to scream, kind of like shushing him. I don’t know if this belongs to the category of shaming the parents, but I can’t be fault for being an outspoken person. A lot of diners there were not pleased with the noise either.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #8

We like going to Red Robin on occasion for a beer and burger. Generally, that place is a zoo. However, they have tables in a separate area I call the bar area (because the bar is there but they also have about ten booths). It is a much better environment. Also, as a retiree, I tend to eat out at late lunch, early dinner hours. That tends to lessen the risk of running into this problem.

Frankly, what annoys me more than the noise, based on the original post, is the mess that was left. How disrespectful to the workers at the restaurant to let their kids be pigs. I guess the disrespect of the patrons (the noise) and the workers (the mess), is one in the same. Shame on them.

Note, I’ve raised kids and have grand kids. They’re not perfect, but we did pretty good. I have a lot of sympathy when I see a parent trying to calm their kids down. It shows they recognize it as a imposition on others. No one can be expected to be 100% successful with a child but I give an A for effort.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Of course it wasn’t. It was a casual restaurant with full bar, that’s usually reasonable noise levels, but they don’t prohibit families. IMO blaming the restaurant for screaming kids when it’s an exception is unfair. That “solution” would eventually leave us only the choice of way upscale or those bland AYCE buffet places like Golden Corral crawling with seniors...
Actually, I do blame the restaurant for allowing the experience of dozens of customers to be ruined instead of asking for (what I acknowledge is a significant) effort from just two. I mostly agree with Badger, although I wouldn't take quite as hard a line -- if the manager decides that s/he values the family's experience over mine, as obviously my presence isn't bothering other customers, I'm likely to mention this service issue on review platforms/sites. Of course, in a "family" restaurant I think it's reasonable to expect a very high level of noise and general discord from the children.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My youngest kid was loud as he11 at the dinner table last night. He wouldn't put down the sword or the sai and kept attacking one of our dinner guests. Halfway through the meal he calmed down and we had a nice conversation.

We ate at home of course because restaurants often prove inconvenient to us. And the food generally isn't that great vs what we make at home.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Noise is different from high pitch screaming. Lately there seems to be a lot of high pitch screaming. Either that I’m getting older. But frankly, sometimes, I feel like screaming back and blame it on old age, hey I can’t help it that kind of thing.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Family restaurants are for families. You have to live with that.

What we do is look for a table or booth ahead of time that is away from the action and put in a request for it, even of it means waiting a bit.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My youngest kid was loud as he11 at the dinner table last night. He wouldn't put down the sword or the sai and kept attacking one of our dinner guests. Halfway through the meal he calmed down and we had a nice conversation.

We ate at home of course because restaurants often prove inconvenient to us. And the food generally isn't that great vs what we make at home.
This is one reason, we didn’t dine out as often when my youngest child was a youngen. While she rarely screamed or made fuss in public, it’s hard for her to sit waiting for tables and such, she’s inherited my hyper activity, so we just ate at home a lot. It’s too hard on my youngest child and I’m glad I noticed that and didn’t try to force it.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

^^ Fortunately many/most parents do teach their kids some manners and/or quickly intervene when their kids get out of line. Even last night with the screaming kids table, there were 3-4 other tables with young kids behaving MUCH better. Occasionally I have thanked parents after a restaurant meal where their kids were exceptionally well behaved, the last one appreciated our acknowledgment.

Years ago in Newport RI we had two kids running completely wild in a nice waterfront restaurant at the table next to us. I gave the parents some dirty looks, and the wife said “you don’t have kids do you,” and they both let their kids carry on including debris everywhere. They finished before us and after dinner the 6ish son and Dad were walking on the deck outside and they both came to the window right outside our table. The 6ish son flipped us the bird, and the Dad just chuckled.

There are just some thoughtless, selfish people who have no respect for others, and never will. I don’t waste my time with them - “never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference.”

Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Family restaurants are for families. You have to live with that.
True, but there's a lot of more formal places that a sensitive, considerate parent wouldn't think of taking a kid. The problem is that 'sensitive, considerate' is often no longer used in the same sentence as 'parent'.

Our experience is that many parents of young ones today couldn't give one **** about how their kids are impacting those around them. It's all about them. Worse are the ones who look at you with a "...isn't he cute!?" look and get offended when we act like we don't share their worship of the little devil.

If you're in a family restaurant, fine; you pays your money and takes your chances. But if I'm dropping $150 on dinner I don't want to be near it.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
When I was in France at a steak place, I did speak out loud in English to my husband in a conversation, hoping they didn’t understand me, that these were awful kids, parents should do better,
Having lived in Paris for years, I wonder if this was a French child or a tourist.

With very few exceptions, our experience with children in general in Europe is that they're an entirely different species than US kids as far as behaving in public, particularly in restaurants.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #17

As long as the parents make an effort, and it's not a fancy restaurant, I am ok with it. We were all kids once and many of us were parents of young kids at some time. However, when parents make no effort it does bother us. Actually, it doesn't bother me as I can tune them out but it bothers my better half as she can not tune stuff out and fixates on it once she is aware of the annoyance.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Many are like that with their dogs, too! At least animals aren't allowed in most restaurants...yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
T
Our experience is that many parents of young ones today couldn't give one **** about how their kids are impacting those around them. It's all about them. Worse are the ones who look at you with a "...isn't he cute!?" look and get offended when we act like we don't share their worship of the little devil.

I
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I may be wrong but I assume it’s usually not so much they don’t give a **** as the kids run wild at home all day every day, so they’re not even conscious of it when they’re in public.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusSchmartacus View Post