Join Early Retirement Today

Sea Lion Attacks
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sea Lion Attacks

PERTH, Australia - A sea lion leaped out of the sea and attacked a 13-year-old girl as she surfed behind a speedboat off Australia’s west coast, a newspaper reported Sunday.

This story reminded me of something I saw a few years ago in Bodega Bay. There was a big sea lion that would always hang out in the water at the end of one of the floating docks.

I was watching him, when a high-heeled tourist, in very glitzy clothing, walks up to the end of the dock, leans down, gets her face very close to the sea lion, and starts making kissy noises.

After a few seconds of this, the sea lion lunged out of the water at her with a roar, coming several feet up onto the dock. That lady moved fast, and didn't get touched, but it was close.

Better than any Sea World show than I've seen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sea Lion Attacks
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
PERTH, Australia - A sea lion leaped out of the sea and attacked a 13-year-old girl as she surfed behind a speedboat off Australia’s west coast, a newspaper reported Sunday.
This story reminded me of something I saw a few years ago in Bodega Bay. There was a big sea lion that would always hang out in the water at the end of one of the floating docks.
I wonder if people have been feeding either of those animals...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seals have popped up near me and barked aggressively in the past. It is unnerving since they are large wild animals and who knows if they are sick or pissed off. It is one more part of the wilderness experience.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Meet 'Humpy', a Hawaiian Monk Seal that frequently accosts tourists on South Maui and Molokini.

More photos here

He likes surf boards too!

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Meet 'Humpy'
Strikes me that the humane thing to do would be to round up a female sea lion name "Humpess" (or something) and deposit her in that same spot of ocean. 8)
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Please don't unless MS Lion is on birth control. Killer Whales isn't sufficiently numerous to keep the Sea Lion & Seal population in balance. The last whale that came my way was lost. I wish she had stayed around long enough to discover the neighborhood bounty and share the news with her pod.