Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have the Stressless Sunrise model. Love it.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If you look on the Lazy Boy website, click on a sofa or recliner you like and you will find the seat depth listed under product details-dimensions. Some are 20 inches. I find local furniture stores to be much more helpful than the big stores and prices are similar. No connection with Lazy Boy-just a happy customer.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #23

Thanks for the many good ideas. We will get an appropriate couch.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #24

Another vote for the Stressless line of furniture at Scandinavian Designs. Very comfortable.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Modern furniture is just too large for the size rooms in most houses. Big furniture equals big prices. But the really high quality furniture is often smaller in scale. Unfortunately, 90% of the furniture sold is complete junk.

When I was looking for furniture, we went to the Furniture Mart in Hickory, North Carolina--2 million square feet of furniture wholesalers.

For a leather recliner, Hancock & Moore sat better than any chair in the market We also liked Barcolounger's high line recliners. I ordered the H/M, and it is still in great shape 25 years later.

My wife spotted a Hancock & Moore leather hide-a-bed in the newspaper for sale for $200. It has goose down cushions that matches my leather recliner. The bed has never been slept on even. The prices of a H/M couch starts at $5,000+, and it is considered the finest quality upholstery. We are fortunate to have acquired it.

There is furniture out there that will fit you and your wife. Unfortunately the furniture business pretty much sucks and even large cities only have one or two decent quality stores. I have been known to shop them and get the model number of the furniture and the fabric swatch code number and custom order the furniture online at a big savings.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Modern furniture is just too large for the size rooms in most houses.
I have been known to shop them and get the model number of the furniture and the fabric swatch code number and custom order the furniture online at a big savings.
This is what we did when we bought a couch two years ago. Ordered it online from Wayfair. Found a coupon code for another 12% off their already low website prices. Free delivery, and the truck driver will bring it into the house and drop it where you want it. It was about half of the price of the local furniture store's best sale price and the local store wanted an additional $89 for delivery. We could have picked it up at the local store's warehouse for free but that was a 65 mile round trip and an investment of a few hours that we saved ordering it online. I'd buy from Wayfair again.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #27

I’ve found that European made sofas do tend to have smaller seat depth. Natuzzi is a great product as another poster mentioned. Roche Bobois also has some good ones. If you go to any higher end store that carries modern/contemporary styled furniture, you can probably find what you’re looking for. It will likely be more expensive but it will be beautiful.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a bad lower back and need lumbar support. Went to rooms to go and sat in every couch/loveseat they had. I love to recline so that was a must. I just loved the triple power recliner, it has a moveable headrest and power lumbar. When I reclined back I felt my lower back aching then I used the power lumbar and the pain went away.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote