Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Seat depth on couches
Old 01-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seat depth on couches

One of the biggest sources of back pain for DW and I is the couch we sit in. And the recliners we use.

All of the couches we find in stores have a seat depth of 22" to 24". With those you either get no back support or you are leaning way back. We would like a seat depth of 19" to 20".

Any body have any recommendations? Here is what we have tried:
  • Tell this story in a furniture store. They respond "You are welcome to try all 487 couches until you find one you like". This obviously doesn't work for us.
  • We have purchased a big thick pillow and put it behind us to decrease the depth behind us. This is less than ideal.
  • We have one of those Lazy Boy style couches where the leg rest comes up. Doesn't really have the support. This is not a cheap or used couch. Maybe $1,500.
  • We would like to find a couch with good lumbar support. And we probably would use some sort stool or ottoman for leg support.

Okay. What ideas do you have?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
One of the biggest sources of back pain for DW and I is the couch we sit in. And the recliners we use.

All of the couches we find in stores have a seat depth of 22" to 24". With those you either get no back support or you are leaning way back. We would like a seat depth of 19" to 20".

Any body have any recommendations? Here is what we have tried:
  • Tell this story in a furniture store. They respond "You are welcome to try all 487 couches until you find one you like". This obviously doesn't work for us.
  • We have purchased a big thick pillow and put it behind us to decrease the depth behind us. This is less than ideal.
  • We have one of those Lazy Boy style couches where the leg rest comes up. Doesn't really have the support. This is not a cheap or used couch. Maybe $1,500.
  • We would like to find a couch with good lumbar support. And we probably would use some sort stool or ottoman for leg support.

Okay. What ideas do you have?
Buy an 18th century antique. They will keep you sitting up straight!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion is to double your budget for the sofa, and find a very large, high end store where the salesmen actually help you to find which of the 487 sofas you want, instead of just doing nothing and taking your money.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

We've run into the same issues as you have. Not only do the couches have large seat depths, but recliners are twice as wide as they need to be with a large seat depth too. The last high end furniture store we were in, the salesman said everything was being made larger because the average size of a person in the general population is getting larger.

Anyway......fast forward to the solution....We were driving by one of the discount furniture stores one day, and decided to see what they had. Low and behold, they had two recliners, that fit us perfectly and they were very inexpensive. We bought them on the spot, loaded them into the truck and at this time they are a little over 10 years old. Still look like new and function perfectly. These were made in China (like a large percentage of today's furniture, even the typically high end brands) and the salesman told us "they were made for the typically smaller Asian population".
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take a look at "Apartment" furniture... For example Pottery Barn has a whole line.

The first couch I looked at had a 19" seat depth.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

I feel your pain. Literally. What I do at home is roll up one of our little blankets we keep on the couch, and make it into a little cylinder, and shove that into the seat back, to shorten the depth.
I have had some nasty bouts of sciatica in my life, and the deep seat backs you describe can really set me off if I'm not careful.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
We've run into the same issues as you have. Not only do the couches have large seat depths, but recliners are twice as wide as they need to be with a large seat depth too. The last high end furniture store we were in, the salesman said everything was being made larger because the average size of a person in the general population is getting larger.

Anyway......fast forward to the solution....We were driving by one of the discount furniture stores one day, and decided to see what they had. Low and behold, they had two recliners, that fit us perfectly and they were very inexpensive. We bought them on the spot, loaded them into the truck and at this time they are a little over 10 years old. Still look like new and function perfectly. These were made in China (like a large percentage of today's furniture, even the typically high end brands) and the salesman told us "they were made for the typically smaller Asian population".
My wife is a small person ( 5', 100lbs) and I'm not huge ( 5'10" 175 lbs), and we have a fairly small house. We have always found it difficult to find furniture that fits us, and the small rooms.
I had come to the theory that the furniture was getting bigger because the trend is for folks to buy bigger houses than ever, and need to fill up the space. I hadn't thought about the idea that people are getting bigger, too.

I need a smallish recliner. Maybe I should take a trip to Chinatown.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember if IKEA carries recliners or not, but the furniture that they have tend to be of smaller sizes than the average American ones. I think it may be due to European style and sizing.

The white leather Natuzzi sofa set that we bought many years ago and still use feels comfortable to us. Out of curiosity, I just went to measure the seat depth: somewhere between 19" and 20". Maybe European styling again.

PS. The recliner also has 19-20" seat depth. It's also Natuzzi.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

I have the same problem since I am 5'3". We went all over town and couldn't find anything to fit, so we bought stuff that didn't fit. I pad my recliner with a pillow and don't sit on the love seat or couch.

We were in Ikea recently and found furniture that fits!

We our cats pass on we will replace what we have.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.bassettfurniture.com/

Furniture is made to order and you can select your seat depth. Might be worth seeing if there is a location near you.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

We have Stressless chairs for everyday use. They come in 2 (maybe 3) sizes. We have the large as I like enough room to pull my feet up on the seat although the small/medium would be a better overall fit for me. Seat depth is 20". Has lumbar support and is adjustable; seat depth may also be adjustable. Mine fits perfectly with feet comfortably on the floor. DH is all legs so he purchased the 'elevator' which elevates the chair and the footstool. If I sit on his chair, my legs dangle like Little Edith and if he sits on mine, his knees hit his chin .

They recline a bit but are not true recliners. They have lots of models so check them out at a store that carries the line, rather than 1 or 2. Not cheap...around $2,000 - $2,500 each IIRC. They also have various couches and when I get tired of our couch, I will look into theirs.

Good luck in your search.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I thought at first this was going to be about big people. There are specific furniture stores for big and tall folks. We like our big furniture with nice back support. Our main couch has 26" depth and one's head doesn't flop backwards sitting in it.

But doesn't a good web search engine find furniture with seat depth to your liking?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #13

For a existing sofa maybe look at replacing the cushions. Any good upholsterer in your town should be able to make custom made cushions to any dimension you want.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #14

The Stressless line of recliners come in different sizes (S, M, L).

https://scandinaviandesigns.com/coll...cliner-ottoman
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #15

I recommend a Stressless too. I also have a custom made sofa because of the same problem. The seat depth of my sofa is 21” and with a “tight back” style back. The reason I bought the tight back was I didn’t like those pillow type sofa backs that stretch and flatten out over time. Tight back are usually more firm.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have a similar problem on our modular couch purchased at Macys. I just use a somewhat firm pillow made to place on furniture. I stick it right in the lumbar region and I'm good for a few hours of TV viewing.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #17

Went through the same thing a few years ago. My wife is short and after looking all day we found a Mayo sofa that has 20.5" seat depth. 9780F Group
Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

+1 on the Mayo Sofa. I just got one and LOVE it. Mine is also 20.5" deep.
lakesidesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a small person and had a very hard time finding a sofa 5 years ago. I finally bought an American Leather sleeper and it has been very comfortable for me. I don't see the model I bought on their website any longer.
https://www.americanleather.com/
Likes_to_Lurk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Sitting in my ekorne (stressless) right now. It’s pretty comfy - hand me down from my Mom wish she hadn’t picked green leather!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote