Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2022, 08:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I've never had that second day; never sold a boat. Seventy-one years old, and I still have them all... 14' AMF Flying Fish sailboat, 22' Tanzer22 sailboat, 14' Duracraft runabout, a collection of Achilles inflatable dinghies, and a 34' Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat. We are aboard that last boat right now anchored in Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera, the Bahamas. We bought her in 2004, the year I retired and the year my wife lay in a hospital bed with a serious infection and with NDR orders. She recovered, and we immediately bought the boat. This is our 13th trip with the boat to the Bahamas, and the year that began with our winning our local sailing club's New Year's day Frostbite race in the Tanzer 22 with my wife, daughter and two grandchildren as crew.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/lif...7195acfbc.html

...and a link to my wife's blog about our trips to the Bahamas is available by clicking on my name, view public profile, and about me. It's in interests.
Wow! Where do you store that many boats?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Flying Fish and Duracraft are at our house on Patrick Henry Lake. The Tanzer22 is in its slip on another TVA lake, Watauga Lake. Our Pacific Seacraft has a slip in New Bern, NC.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Flying Fish and Duracraft are at our house on Patrick Henry Lake. The Tanzer22 is in its slip on another TVA lake, Watauga Lake. Our Pacific Seacraft has a slip in New Bern, NC.
Heh, heh, I think RobbieB has met his match!

Thanks for the info. Always glad to hear of peoples' passions in retirement. It gives the rest of us something to shoot for (having a passion, that is.) Aloha.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was hoping your answer was not going to be: "in our yard, next to the two old washing machines, three rusting motorcycles, old monitor top refrigerator, dad's old Chevy (with the tree growing out of the hood), six bicycles, a stack of tire rims, a giant stack of roofing shingles, five wooden ladders, a bale of barbed wire and four old rotting wooden buckets all guarded by our old dog Duke who is on one long chain" Just kidding! Glad to see you're enjoying your boats in various locations! Nothing like a day on the water.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
those TVA lakes looked just spectacular when we flew over them on the way to Asheville and points east. It looked like you could play forever in those wrinkles filled with water.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
those TVA lakes looked just spectacular when we flew over them on the way to Asheville and points east. It looked like you could play forever in those wrinkles filled with water.
My mom and dad took big sis and me to FL to see grandparent ca 1952. We stopped at Norris Dam and I was utterly impressed as a 5 year old. Couldn't believe people could build something that huge. It was awe inspiring.

As a side note, mom and dad left us with the grandparents and went to a trade convention. We all returned with the beginnings of my little sis though no one knew it yet. Watch out when mom and dad get some alone time from the other rug rats. YMMV

Old 05-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Some of them are a real challenge to sail... Narrow and finnicky wind directions.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
Some of them are a real challenge to sail... Narrow and finnicky wind directions.
Heh, heh and then there are those pesky dams!

Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The two happiest days of a boat owner’s life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Friends, I’m about to have my second day.

My great-grandfather raced sailboats, my grandfather (mom’s dad) did and my father did (that’s how he met mom). For fifty five of my seventy years, I’ve owned a variety of boats, sail, power, row.

Thirty years ago a dear friend called while DW and I were on our honeymoon telling me that he was 'very' ill and needed to sell his five year-old sailboat. His was the only boat I had ever really wanted and I jumped at the opportunity.

A 52 foot sailboat isn’t the type of thing that you use casually when there’s nothing better to do, so for the next thirty years our life revolved around that boat; it was a lifestyle commitment.

But with hundreds of trips up and down the coast north of Boston, overnights in Nantucket, birthday parties on board, one memorable 'cook aboard' dinner for ten, we have had more than enough memories--and photos for a lifetime.

The boat and I aged together over time. But it was not the type of boat you just took out for an hour spin, and it’s a very big boat to handle yourself; a lot of work. Heck, it took almost an hour to get out into deep enough water to hoist the sails. Over the past few years, we stopped sailing as much and the boat became more of a summer home; lunch at the mooring, a swim, some music, a nap. Thirty five is also old for a boat like that, the maintenance was getting more involved (and costly) and, well….we had just had enough. It was just time to move on and do something different.

So, our old girl is on her way to a better home. Happy? A bit melancholy for DW and I. We did join a local boat club where we can take out power boats whenever we want and we’re really looking forward to that. No mess, no fuss; 'here’s the keys, kid, thanks'.

One regret: Every year, my brother and I would do three or four different overnights at the mooring. An entire bottle of Scotch would evaporate during the early evening as we sat in the cockpit chatting, looking at the stars. In the early morning my brother would jump out of his bunk, stark naked and run up and over the rails into the cold New England water. The last time we went out, he was begging me to join him; he loved it. 'C’mon, c’mon!'. I refused; just didn’t feel like getting wet that day. Had I known that in four weeks he’d have a life threatening and life changing stroke, I’d have jumped in with him even if I were wearing my best business suit. But…regrets are for another day.

Bon voyage my girl!
I spent many , many hours on the deck of a 23 foot bay boat fishing next to my brother. We lost him to cancer at age 51 in 2011. Id push a big stack out of my pile in to spend one more morning "fishing" with him.

Carpe Diem yall
Foghorn Leghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

OP here..
With boat hauling time approaching here in New England, I thought I'd provide an update.

As noted, we joined Freedom Boat Club and have had a blast all summer. There are several types of boats available including a 27 foot twin engine Key West.

Our old, large boat was a lot of work to take out and her size prevented us from getting into a lot of small coves and shallow waters. These smaller boats let us get into and enjoy some really nice areas...and get to them quickly. We can anchor in a sandy cove in 4 feet of water for lunch and a swim. We've had zero problems reserving and in fact have got boats at the very last minute by calling the dock master. We go out 3 or 4 times a week.

We've also discovered life without a boat that required a lifestyle commitment. Wouldn't change a thing, but that boat was all we did for 30 years...and now we find there's a whole lot more we can do. We now even go to family cookouts!

Best of all, at the end of each day and with fall/ hurricane season approaching, there's nothing, I mean nothing, like pulling up to the dock, handing the kid the keys and saying "see you next week". Come haul out time, I'll be reading a book somewhere while all the crap that goes with that is handled by someone else and I say " see you in the spring"!.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #31

Quote:

Best of all, at the end of each day and with fall/ hurricane season approaching, there's nothing, I mean nothing, like pulling up to the dock handing the kid the keys and saying "see you next week". Come haul out time, I'll be reading a book somewhere while all the crap that goes with that is handled by someone else.

Marko, That is the same way I feel about renting a plane. I pull it into the tiedown spot, hand the keys to the line person who gasses it and ties it down.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OP here..
With boat hauling time approaching here in New England, I thought I'd provide an update.

As noted, we joined Freedom Boat Club and have had a blast all summer. There are several types of boats available including a 27 foot twin engine Key West.

Our old, large boat was a lot of work to take out and her size prevented us from getting into a lot of small coves and shallow waters. These smaller boats let us get into and enjoy some really nice areas...and get to them quickly. We can anchor in a sandy cove in 4 feet of water for lunch and a swim. We've had zero problems reserving and in fact have got boats at the very last minute by calling the dock master. We go out 3 or 4 times a week.

We've also discovered life without a boat that required a lifestyle commitment. Wouldn't change a thing, but that boat was all we did for 30 years...and now we find there's a whole lot more we can do. We now even go to family cookouts!

Best of all, at the end of each day and with fall/ hurricane season approaching, there's nothing, I mean nothing, like pulling up to the dock, handing the kid the keys and saying "see you next week". Come haul out time, I'll be reading a book somewhere while all the crap that goes with that is handled by someone else and I say " see you in the spring"!.
Once again, we who are FIRE'd attest that Time>Money.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Once again, we who are FIRE'd attest that Time>Money.
And in this case, I'm saving both! Maintenance and storage for the old girl was running close to $25k of late (with an extra $12k repair looming). The boat club is costing us $550 a month! (Plus gas)

"The Boat" was our entire life and now it's just something we do…a few hours of riding around, lunch, snack, swim and then go home. In a way its a lot more relaxed way of living. Different, but we really do enjoy the change. More of a hobby than a lifestyle. Also I just hit 70 and I'm looking for things to lighten the load.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've heard that "second happiest day" saying a lot.

I think it only applies to those who shouldn't really have owned a boat in the first place. I've sold lots of boats, and every time it was with some sadness. Even if it was a pain to unload. Even if it was big relief from a burden. It was still like selling a part of myself.

9 years on, I still miss the last boat I sold, even though at that time I already owned my current boat, there was a very soft market, and it was on the market (consuming my time and money) for a year.

It's like they say: If you don't understand boat ownership, no explanation is possible. If you understand, no explanation is necessary.

I would have to agree to your assessment and also fits other things in life as well.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:27 AM   #35

Congrats on both sides of that story, Marko. I really enjoy sailing and those 30 years you had are golden. I always wanted a boat that size for the hull speed and amenities, seaworthiness.
My first sailing experience i was 17 and my brother and friend had rented a 34' boat out of Shilshole Marina in Seattle, and he invited me to go with them on spring break. My brother was not the experienced sailor, Marty was.
Our Spanish club had done a play at Wenatchee that Friday, and I got special permission to drive my own car there, and then across Stevens Pass to Anacortes. I got on the state ferry there with my duffel bag, and got off at Friday Harbor and waited on the dock for them. I think back that this was all pre-arranged and decades before mobile phones.
Friday Harbor is a sheltered rocky inlet to a nice cove, and here come 3 or 4 sailboats around the head and in. One by one they start dropping sail and firing up motors to come to the dock, save one boat.
They are all out with a nice breeze and the captain has a sheet in each hand and a foot on the tiller. There was exactly one berth on the outside of the transient dock, and he was making for it!
I'm there with all these other spring break boaters, and they start to watch this sailboat heading at the dock.
They get close and I recognized my brother, who was just standing by with a fenders and a line for the dock and doing what he was told. Marty drops sail, kicks the tiller over at the perfect time and my brother steps off and ties off the boat.
The crowd cheers and claps in appreciation, and I put my duffel on the deck. I had never even stood next to a sailboat before and I got hooked.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:46 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congrats on both sides of that story, Marko. I really enjoy sailing and those 30 years you had are golden. I always wanted a boat that size for the hull speed and amenities, seaworthiness.
My first sailing experience i was 17 and my brother and friend had rented a 34' boat out of Shilshole Marina in Seattle, and he invited me to go with them on spring break. My brother was not the experienced sailor, Marty was.
Our Spanish club had done a play at Wenatchee that Friday, and I got special permission to drive my own car there, and then across Stevens Pass to Anacortes. I got on the state ferry there with my duffel bag, and got off at Friday Harbor and waited on the dock for them. I think back that this was all pre-arranged and decades before mobile phones.
Friday Harbor is a sheltered rocky inlet to a nice cove, and here come 3 or 4 sailboats around the head and in. One by one they start dropping sail and firing up motors to come to the dock, save one boat.
They are all out with a nice breeze and the captain has a sheet in each hand and a foot on the tiller. There was exactly one berth on the outside of the transient dock, and he was making for it!
I'm there with all these other spring break boaters, and they start to watch this sailboat heading at the dock.
They get close and I recognized my brother, who was just standing by with a fenders and a line for the dock and doing what he was told. Marty drops sail, kicks the tiller over at the perfect time and my brother steps off and ties off the boat.
The crowd cheers and claps in appreciation, and I put my duffel on the deck. I had never even stood next to a sailboat before and I got hooked.
I can see why that would make you want to join in. I had a similar experience with a friend who took DW, me and a couple of other friends out on his sail boat. He let me steer the boat and I realized it was more complicated than flying (especially the navigation.) He too was able to drop the sail, and still slide into his slip.

I thought I'd arrived when I turned off the engine and stalled the prop of my C-150, landed and coasted up to the gas pumps. Heh, heh, It was a calm day and I was the only one in the pattern. Too bad there was no one there to see it. YMMV

Old 09-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #37

I believe you Koolau. My second solo the instructor said go ahead, knowing it was pretty nautical that day. I bounced up into the air and realized this was a different beast, and had it about half right. It took me two missed approaches to figure out the nasty crosswind and how it interacted with the rows of hangars. I got it landed and was quite happy to taxi in and tie it down with ~0.4 on the hour meter. The flip side to your day
Old 09-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OP here..

Same journey here. We had a series of 5 sailboats, and it was a lifestyle for us, including over 20 years racing competitively. But I finally sold the last one in 2018. I’m glad we sailed together for all those years, but much to my surprise I don’t miss the commitment or (eye watering) expenses. We joined a sailing club where we have access to a fleet of Flying Scots, Sunfish, paddleboard, kayaks and canoes - good enough for me. I’d join Freedom Boat Club if not for the upfront one time entry fee, the annual cost after that is fair enough but not the entry fee IMO. I’ve moved on to golf, and DW to pickleball, MUCH cheaper.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe you Koolau. My second solo the instructor said go ahead, knowing it was pretty nautical that day. I bounced up into the air and realized this was a different beast, and had it about half right. It took me two missed approaches to figure out the nasty crosswind and how it interacted with the rows of hangars. I got it landed and was quite happy to taxi in and tie it down with ~0.4 on the hour meter. The flip side to your day
Did I ever tell you about landing in a winter wheat field? THAT's what I think of as a flip side to my intentional dead-stick landing. (Full disclosure: It was about my 5th lesson and the instructor landed the aircraft.) Once a year, I drive to that field just to "reconnect" with my youth. YMMV

Old 09-04-2022, 07:28 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

We got back from our five month trip to the Bahamas in our Pacific Seacraft 34 June 20 and have been here at our Tennessee mountain home messing around with our boats on Patrick Henry Lake across the street and the nearby Watauga Lake. Next year rather than make a fourteenth winter/spring trip to the Bahamas, we are signed up with friends to take a cruise ship from Chile to Argentina with the primary objective of seeing Cape Horn.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote