Seeking New Datebook Application

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've used the Palm Desktop application since the original PalmPilot came out. Even though I no longer use my Palm device, I still use the desktop app on my computer, along with a program called "Deskalarm" that will pop up warnings, etc when there's something I need to do.

Recently all the datebook data disappeared mysteriously. I was about to restore it from a backup, but I can't risk this happening again (it's happened in the past as well).

So I'm looking for a new datebook app. It must:

1. Be free or inexpensive
2. Have popup reminders with adjustable length snoozes
3. Allow repeated alarm (e.g. remind me to do something every 6 weeks).

Anyone use something like that that they can recommend?

Thanks,

Al, Microsoft Outlook has those features and you probably already have it on your computer.

1. Be free or inexpensive
2. Have popup reminders with adjustable length snoozes
3. Allow repeated alarm (e.g. remind me to do something every 6 weeks).
Microsoft Outlook does that, although I'm not sure how adjustable the snoozes are. It certainly succeeds at being annoying with its popups and alarms.

We've recently ditched MS Office & Outlook in favor of OpenOffice and Google. I'm leisurely working toward replacing my Outlook "To Do" list with Google Calendar.

I use and like Google calendar. You can get notifications via popups email, even text message on your phone.

I use the palm desktop software in the same way you do. If you haven't upgraded to the latest version, you can get it free from the palm site. I've also found that recovering from a backup works well for palm.

Coincidentally, I also had a near death experience with the calendar last week -- something got corrupted when some memory in my "antique" system failed. After replacing the memory chips, I restored a backup copy of the palm data files and my calendar was back.

Google calendar has the advantage of being stored on their server rather than your desktop. I prefer the privacy of my own desktop and the safety of my own backups.

Thanks for the info. I might have to stay with my current setup. Google calendar is great, but I want popups even if I don't have a browser running. I find that I don't have Outlook on my system, and the latest Palm Desktop doesn't work with Deskalarm.

I find the variable-length snooze alarms indispensable. When I'm in the middle of something, I want to quickly tell the alarm window when to come back. If it's reminding me to reconcile my checking account,

Alarm.jpg

I might tell it to snooze for 24 hours. If I know I'm going to be busy for only a few minutes, I might tell it to snooze for 10 minutes.

I use gCalendar as well. Fairly versatile. You can also set your browser to automatically load any webpage (such as gCalendar), so that way you get pop-ups. I find it almost as fast and easy to use as outlook, and in some ways better. It is probably more reliable, and much more accessible (web based instead of hard drive based).

It takes seconds to set an appointment/event. I "snooze" my appts by clicking on the event detail link from my email reminders, quickly reset the date and then hit "save". Maybe 5-10 seconds vs 2-3 seconds w/ outlook style pop up reminders w/ snooze.

I'm betting google will continue to improve the gCalendar feature as well.

Very complex looking. I just use Stickies. It's a freeware program that works like those yellow stickie pads. I have them popping up all the time reminding me of things. No browser needed. My needs are simple, and this works really well for me. One of the best freeware programs ever, IMHO. Been using it since 2005 on 3 different OS levels (98, XP, Vista).

Update: Sunbird works fine, but it seems to slow down the computer, especially when recovering from standby. I'm switching to google calendar. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom