Segway Anyone?

paradiseken

Recycles dryer sheets
Hey Folks:
Lots of places are springing up here in Florida offering Segway tours. Has anyone ever been on one of these things? Do you know what they are?
Am thinking of trying one out to see if it would be fun for family and friends visiting us this summer.
Are they fairly stable and easy to learn how to ride?
Thanks folks.

Segway's are pretty much idiot proof, they are easy to learn to ride and lots of fun....but of course, President Bush did fall off one at his father's home. Hmmmm.

I've never been on one but I saw in the paper today that the police in a beach front town nearby use them on the boardwalk.

I tried them out in a review to see if we wanted to use them where I work. We decided no to mostly because of cost. They are about $5K. But if they ever got down to about $1K I would think the demand would explode. Imagine crowded downtown business areas with countless Segways. I see one in my life as an early replacement for a wheelchair. Surprised I don't see more of them.

yakers said:
I tried them out in a review to see if we wanted to use them where I work. We decided no to mostly because of cost. They are about $5K. But if they ever got down to about $1K I would think the demand would explode. Imagine crowded downtown business areas with countless Segways. I see one in my life as an early replacement for a wheelchair. Surprised I don't see more of them.
Thanks folks. Sam's Club has the all-terrain version for $3,888. Prices are coming down.

I also have seen the ads for Segway tours through Florida's state parks. Sorry, but I would rather walk or bike those paths and get some exercise.

OTOH, seem like a great idea for city sidewalks, streets, where the distance/heat may make walking a bit less enjoyable or realistic.

Sandy said:
Sorry, but I would rather walk or bike those paths and get some exercise.
I agree Sandy (fellow Floridian), but wouldn't be fun on a city-type tour? You know, these things can go 12 mph!

Achiever51 said:
Segway's are pretty much idiot proof, they are easy to learn to ride and lots of fun....but of course, President Bush did fall off one at his father's home. Hmmmm.

Not that I am a bid defender of the prez in some areas.... but the thing was turned off..

I have seen a couple of them in our downtown area... they were some convention people... the guy could do circles around most anything.... but, the price is the killer..

I looked into their dealer agreement about a year ago. The numbers don't work at the retail level. The posts above are largely correct. When the Chinese get involved prices come way down then we'll all have them!

4 of us are doing a St. Petersburg Segway tour week after next. I'll report back.

Strikes me as a solution in search of a problem, but it looks fun.

Did a Segway Tour last fall at Asheville (NC) Arboretum. LOVED IT, LOVED IT!! Highly recommended!! The ride was easy for us to master and becomes very "intuitive" and natural-feeling. Would be great to have one if/when expense is reasonable and when there are accessible paths for us. We are currently too distant from much to enjoy traveling by Segway. I do wish for a more auto-free, pedestrian-friendly community. Oh, to live near enough to stores, library, entertainment to be able to walk, bike, etc. Can anyone suggest a nice place to live like this:confused:

I've never seen someone actually use a Segway live. For those of you who live in big cities, do you ever see a regular old person using one?

Check out the latest from Segway! Now this is something I'd consider buying....

x2_golf.jpg

Individual carts to speed up the game. they go 12 mph too....

http://www.segway.com/personal-transporter/model_x2_Golf.html

Rich_in_Tampa said:
4 of us are doing a St. Petersburg Segway tour week after next. I'll report back.

That's the only way I'd go into St Pete without a few firearms. That place is not safe. :D

TromboneAl said:
I've never seen someone actually use a Segway live. For those of you who live in big cities, do you ever see a regular old person using one?

In '04, I saw a couple in use at a military computing event in Dayton OH. Don't know if they were vendors or security.

Alex said:
Individual carts to speed up the game. they go 12 mph too....

That oughta work out swell after a few cocktails.

Overall, probably a very practical device at a lower price point, but you're automatically a gigantic dork the minute you set foot on one.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
That oughta work out swell after a few cocktails.

Overall, probably a very practical device at a lower price point, but you're automatically a gigantic dork the minute you set foot on one.
They said the same thing about 'horseless carriages'. :eek:

From what I understand, Segway is aggressively marketing these to golf courses. So if my local course gave me the choice between the Segway and a traditional cart, I'd give it a whirl.

At least the horse could find its way home without crashing into a minivan, which conveniently didnt exist then. :LOL:

And everyone looks cool on a horse.

Back
Top Bottom