Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you use a gun to protect yourself and your family?
Yes, I would shoot to kill 47 90.38%
No, I would never use a gun 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Self Protection
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Self Protection

Note that the question is not asking if you own a gun or if you are for or against gun ownership.

It's more along the lines that if you and your family were trapped in your home with people trying to break the door down to kill you and your family and steal your food, money. and your other possessions, would you use a gun to protect yourself and your family?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Self Protection
Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

I answered "Yes" but it would be easier to answer if your question was a bit more specific. Using the gun to protect property (food, money, etc.) is personally a much more diificult decision than using it to protect life.

Edit: Should have read your question more carefully. You clearly said, "trying to break the door down to kill you and your family ..."
Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #4

I don't have any guns but I think I would use defensive force rather than lethal force (maim rather than kill) although I know it could open up other future problems, such as litigation (I wrongly shot the perp) or revenge by the perp after he gets out in 2 years on good behavior.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #5

protect yourself and your family from what?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the objections others have already posted. I would never use deadly force to protect "things" like property or possessions. IF I found myself in a situation like NO, I would have no problem shooting to protect people and life necessary goods like food and water. I wouldn't be shooting with the intent to kill, but if I was in a situation like that, I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if that was the result.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to think I would. But in truth I've never touched a gun or seen one be fired. I have occasionally thought that I should own one in case the world goes to hell. The situation in New Orleans only encourages that belief.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been a law enforcement officer for the previous +35 years, including twenty years in the NYPD. You cannot begin to imagine the level of violence humans are capable of inflicting on one another. I am always amused when responsible, reasonable, "civilized" people discuss what they would do should a "situation" arise. I've seen the results of people slashed, shot, stabbed, burned, hung, run-over, pummled to a pulp. Infants through senior citizens. Reasons? They ranged from "curiosity to see what it's like to kill someone" to a robbery gone bad.

Go ahead and debate what you're going to do when the "time" comes. It's always an interesting exercise. For me, I wouldn't consider living anywhere where I didn't have ready access to a firearm.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #9

Yes, the phrasing of the question does skew the results. I don't own a gun, have never handled one, have no desire to do so, and feel no need for one. However I answered yes, because if I found my self in a situation where I felt my life was at stake I would use whatever means available - including a gun if one happed to be at hand - to protect myself or loved ones.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #10

<i>Rich: For me, I wouldn't consider living anywhere where I didn't have ready access to a firearm. </i>

How do you feel about "regular " people having ready access to firearms, as a matter of course, living just anywhere?

PS: Don;t read too much into my question.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #11

We used to own guns because DH used to deer hunt. He was gone one night and I thought that I heard a noise. I grabbed a gun and then grabbed some shells and sat on the bed with the gun and shells. Later my DH came home and asked me what in the world I was doing sitting up in bed with a gun and then he burst out laughing, because the shells that I had sitting there did not belong to the gun that I had with me. I would be one of those people who ended up shot with their own gun. DH no longer hunts and the guns were sold many many years ago. However, if I were trying to protect my own life or my family and I had a loaded gun in my hand, I would try to shoot it. I would not shoot to protect property, only our life. (I probably would miss though.)

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. But like Rich hubby and I are well trained in the use of firearms and have experience as law enforcement officers. (retired)
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

razztazz, if you don't mind, I'll comment on your question.

Cops are "regular" people, with training.* You can get that training as well, and there are plenty of "regular" people who are as good or better than the average officer when it comes to handling firearms.

"Regular" people have saved officers, by using firearms ... happened again in Phoenix just 3 years ago.

It's like anything else ... a little training and it isn't mysterious, it isn't unfathomable ... it's just a tool, and any normal human being can learn to handle and store a firearm effectively and safely.* Concealed carry laws have moved across the country with great success ... and not resulted in the "wild west" syndrome predicted by the anti-self defense crowd ... though they are seldom influenced by fact and logic.

Check the stat's ... we should be more worried about how many incompetent doctors kill people each year ...* :
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
razztazz, if you don't mind, I'll comment on your question.

Cops are "regular" people, with training.* You can get that training as well, are there are plenty of "regular" people who are as good or better than the average officer when it comes to handling firearms.

"Regular" people have saved officers, by using firearms ... happened again in Phoenix just 3 years ago.

It's like anything else ... a little training and it isn't mysterious, it isn't unfathomable ... it's just a tool, and any normal human being can learn to handle and store a firearm effectively and safely.* Concealed carry laws have moved across the country with great success ... and not resulted in the "wild west" syndrome predicted by the anti-self defense crowd ... though they are seldom influenced by fact and logic.

Check the stat's ... we should be more worried about how many incompetent doctors kill people each year ...* :
Very good, Charles.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Charles: razztazz, if you don't mind, I'll comment on your question.... see above for the rest
Of course cops are regular people, thats why I used quotes when I said "regular" . I grew up going to all the Policeman's picnics and other gatherings.

I don't know wat direction you're trying to come from with the rest of that post, though ro what you're trying to tell me vis a vis my initial question
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #16

If a gun magically appeared in my hand when I needed to save a life, I think I could do something with it (not that I know how-). But the thought of having a gun in my home....I think it would prey on my mind, like the telltale heart or the ring of power. It would disturb my sense of safety rather than enhance it.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #17

Do my arms count?
Old 09-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

It seems that a number of posters are repulsed, or somehow "turned off", by the idea of having access to a gun. What if the question were modified a bit, ie, would you use a kitchen knife to defend yourself and/or family in a life threatening situation? I'm assuming most would say yes and few, if any, would be repulsed by the idea of owning a kitchen knife. Other than the training necessary to properly handle the gun, what's the difference?
Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbykur
It seems that a number of posters are repulsed, or somehow "turned off", by the idea of having access to a gun. What if the question were modified a bit, ie, would you use a kitchen knife to defend yourself and/or family in a life threatening situation? I'm assuming most would say yes and few, if any, would be repulsed by the idea of owning a kitchen knife. Other than the training necessary to properly handle the gun, what's the difference?
I own a kitchen knife because it's a useful tool when preparing food. When buying a kitchen knife its ability to hurt people didn't even come into consideration. The primary use a handgun has is to inflict harm on other human beings.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's right Tim ... and sometimes people need such a tool. Firearms are tools, and they are tools with which most people can be proficient, and safe.

razztazz, can't help you if it doesn't make sense already ... I'm assuming you're going down the "only police should have guns" debate.

That's the beauty of America ... you can live in a state where your freedom of self defense is respected, or you can live in a state where you depend only upon the police. Everyone can make their choice, and, at the least, that is how it should be.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote