Join Early Retirement Today

Self-publishing a book
Old 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Self-publishing a book

I am writing a recipe booklet, and am looking for input:

The best way to obtain an ISBN number.
If I obtain an ISBN number, can I use the same number for future revisions?
A good website that could help me.
Any suggestions that you think would be helpful.

I will be self-publishing; a friend of mine who is in the business will be printing the book. The book will be about 24 pages, and in booklet form.

I am thinking that it is so small that maybe I don't even need an ISBN number, as I will be selling the booklet on my website - or, that I can add the number when I go to a larger edition.

If this isn't the appropriate forum, can you please direct me to a place that is appropriate?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any (nice) comments
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can apply here: Application for an ISBN Publisher Prefix

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out Self Publishing - Lulu.com

You can publish in pretty small quantities.
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of these days I'm going to self publish a beautiful coffee table photo book (landscape format) and probably only get a handful of copies. I don't need an IBSN number for that. Apple provides a terrific low volume printing service plus the software. The print quality is extraordinary.

Apple - Aperture - Print Products

Audrey
Old 06-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I am writing a recipe booklet, and am looking for input:

The best way to obtain an ISBN number.
If I obtain an ISBN number, can I use the same number for future revisions?
A good website that could help me.
Any suggestions that you think would be helpful.

I will be self-publishing; a friend of mine who is in the business will be printing the book. The book will be about 24 pages, and in booklet form.

I am thinking that it is so small that maybe I don't even need an ISBN number, as I will be selling the booklet on my website - or, that I can add the number when I go to a larger edition.

If this isn't the appropriate forum, can you please direct me to a place that is appropriate?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any (nice) comments
One option worth checking out is amazon's publishing system at

https://www.createspace.com/
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to the site Martha gave you re ISBNs, you can also register the copyright to your work (because why not? You created the work, you deserve it, and it gives you something to talk about at parties ): U.S. Copyright Office - Forms

I think the ISBN is a good thing to have just in case you ever want to sell the booklet on other websites or through bookstores--you never know!

Good luck with it--what kind of recipes?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
In addition to the site Martha gave you re ISBNs, you can also register the copyright to your work (because why not? You created the work, you deserve it, and it gives you something to talk about at parties ): U.S. Copyright Office - Forms

I think the ISBN is a good thing to have just in case you ever want to sell the booklet on other websites or through bookstores--you never know!

Good luck with it--what kind of recipes?
It is a little book of medicinal herb recipes - teas, tinctures, and skin balms. I will go ahead and register it with the U.S. Copyright Office - thanks for the link!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote