Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still love driving my BMW Z4 convertible. We are planning many road trips under 8 hours and it still feels good to drive.
When I have trouble getting in and out, then time to give it up.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Took the Miata into town after going for a hike today. Saw a really good sale on 2-packs of Charcoal at Home Depot, so I bought 2 of those, along with a couple of gallon bottles of something or other. There goes most of the front seat passenger space and some of the trunk. Sale on the 12 packs of soda. Along with other groceries and a very small pack, my trunk was full. Had to wedge a back of fruit in with the charcoal, and put the bread and chips bag on the shelf behind the seat. The Miata if fun, but not very practical for these trips. Didn't think I was getting that much when I went out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Took the Miata into town after going for a hike today. Saw a really good sale on 2-packs of Charcoal at Home Depot, so I bought 2 of those, along with a couple of gallon bottles of something or other. There goes most of the front seat passenger space and some of the trunk. Sale on the 12 packs of soda. Along with other groceries and a very small pack, my trunk was full. Had to wedge a back of fruit in with the charcoal, and put the bread and chips bag on the shelf behind the seat. The Miata if fun, but not very practical for these trips. Didn't think I was getting that much when I went out.
Yes that's why the BMW never sees BJ's or Publix.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My toy I'm starting to consider selling is a 97 Mazda Miata. It's been practically invincible, but I almost finding I'm driving it out of duty instead of fun. I don't like driving it in the rain so I either take it on short drives, or when the chance is near 0. Sometimes on those days I'd just rather have my comfortable Forester with AC, but I l want to get the Miata out of the garage once in awhile. It seems like selling prices on those are going up a bit, but since they are pretty reliable there is still a pretty good supply.

Recently gave our 97 Miata to our older son, <95k miles, he loves it and our 11yr old grandson too.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Recently gave our 97 Miata to our older son, <95k miles, he loves it and our 11yr old grandson too.
I'll probably keep it unless a buyer falls into my lap. If there's one thing I hate more than buying a car (especially a used one), it's selling a car. Besides, it'd be neat to see how long it lasts. Just put a new battery in this spring. With that kind of investment, I've got to keep it a little longer!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I'm not selling my toys (mostly basses and bass amps) yet, but I am downsizing to just what I need...1 main bass and a backup, 1 bass amp and a backup, 1 keyboard, and 1 acoustic guitar.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #47

My "toys" are in the form of backpacking gear. I've decided not to upgrade any of the gear unless something breaks. I'm 61 and still getting out there with a great group of friends but realistically I probably have a decade or less to enjoy it.

In the meantime, it keeps me motivated to stay fit and I'm more than able to keep up with my friends. The Pacific Northwest sure is gorgeous!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Sold my scooter last year at 66. Long trips were not as much fun and local riding was down right dangerous with all the idiots on their cell phones. Fortunately I still have many other hobbies to keep me entertained.
Yep. Sold my cycle about 12 years ago. Good friend sold his last summer. He and his wife both had cycles, and gave them up for the same reason-too many close calls with distracted drivers.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
My toys are guitars, keyboards, vintage amps/speakers, computers, and woodworking machines. I don't plan to part with them until I'm dead. I worked hard for 30 years so that I can now play with them all day. Those toys are one reason our downsizing requirements are very specific.

The nice things about such toys is that you don’t have to give them up because using them risks your life. We probably won’t downsize either. With the pool and hot tub outside, and the musical instruments inside, and my cooking toys (sous vide, high end gas grill, etc) why move?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
The nice things about such toys is that you don’t have to give them up because using them risks your life. We probably won’t downsize either. With the pool and hot tub outside, and the musical instruments inside, and my cooking toys (sous vide, high end gas grill, etc) why move?
Exactly. One of our upstairs bedrooms has been converted to my music room filled with guitars, basses, keyboards, amps, and recording gear. No car has ever parked in our garage since we moved here because it's filled with all my woodworking equipment. Fairly large office with all my computers and parts for building more. Out back we have a pool, spa, and pond with catfish, ducks, geese. It's a great place for us and our toys. But it is BIG. Too big. And DW wants the garage back for her car. I'd like to have a separate shop building with a dedicated finish spraying area. So we do casually look on Zillow for downsize possibilities, but as I said, our requirements are extremely specific. So who knows, we might end up staying here.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #51

I know a private vocal teacher and a flute teacher who have their houses set up for private lessons, with an area large enough to host a group of students. The vocal teacher did house recitals, including closed circuit to the living room for overflow audiences of parents and grandparents. I say did because her husband keeps getting new jobs-dean, provost, and they keep moving!
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
One of our upstairs bedrooms has been converted to my music room filled with guitars, basses, keyboards, amps, and recording gear. No car has ever parked in our garage since we moved here because it's filled with all my woodworking equipment. Fairly large office with all my computers and parts for building more.
I have 2 practice spaces in my basement where 2 different bands rehearse. Both spaces have PA, drums, amps, and other assorted gear. Band members bring their stuff but also leave some stuff left here between rehearsals. Add a pool table and suddenly an 800 square foot basement is barely enough room.

That's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of excess music equipment. I've never been into collecting gear...it's just accumulated it over the years as I've upgraded or looked for something different. But now that I've got good quality gear that I use exclusively, the other stuff just takes up space in a spare bedroom.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I have 2 practice spaces in my basement where 2 different bands rehearse. Both spaces have PA, drums, amps, and other assorted gear. Band members bring their stuff but also leave some stuff left here between rehearsals. Add a pool table and suddenly an 800 square foot basement is barely enough room...
That sounds like fun. No basements in Texas, but we also have a 500 sqft playroom, currently set up as a home theater that we don't use very often. I keep telling DW that I'm going to build a drum riser and get a set of drums and a PA system and move the rest of my toys into that space. She gave me "that look" which means it's never going to happen.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I dont have many toys, but I bought one this past month. An old school 1971 Gottlieb pinball machine titled “Lawman”. It is just amazing what is under the hood of these things. Already learning how they work and tweaked a few things that needed it. And good thing the internet is helpful as there are very few people out there who repair pinball machines.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I dont have many toys, but I bought one this past month. An old school 1971 Gottlieb pinball machine titled “Lawman”. It is just amazing what is under the hood of these things. Already learning how they work and tweaked a few things that needed it. And good thing the internet is helpful as there are very few people out there who repair pinball machines.
My stepson-in-law is a pinball junkie and maybe has 20 machines as we speak. He is also a master repair person and buys and sells machines. Crazy, but it's his thing. If you want a specific machine, I can check for you. All of his are restored and some have newer electrics installed.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My stepson-in-law is a pinball junkie and maybe has 20 machines as we speak. He is also a master repair person and buys and sells machines. Crazy, but it's his thing. If you want a specific machine, I can check for you. All of his are restored and some have newer electrics installed.

He is way ahead of me! Im just hoping to keep this one running, lol. Funny, I stumbled onto the “play counter” under game board. I guess they had them to make sure someone wasnt stealing the nickels and dimes. Anyways, mine has been played 198,000 times and still working fully functional. Its not restored, but I put all new rubber parts on and fixed a few lights and waxed the game board.
That could be a very nice business for your stepson in law, as I here they are in demand to repair them....Sadly I found I am as predictable as they come. Articles have shown pinball machines are now mostly popular as in home purchases from older people who played them growing up....That is exactly me!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
He is way ahead of me! Im just hoping to keep this one running, lol. Funny, I stumbled onto the “play counter” under game board. I guess they had them to make sure someone wasnt stealing the nickels and dimes. Anyways, mine has been played 198,000 times and still working fully functional. Its not restored, but I put all new rubber parts on and fixed a few lights and waxed the game board.
That could be a very nice business for your stepson in law, as I here they are in demand to repair them....Sadly I found I am as predictable as they come. Articles have shown pinball machines are now mostly popular as in home purchases from older people who played them growing up....That is exactly me!
LOL! I want my 1965 Corvette again! If you ever need another pinball machine, just PM me!! (it's a disease, I hear)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The beginning of June saw the end of a 15 month process of emptying my 500 sq ft of warehouse space of all my vintage dirt bikes and related parts. It was traumatic getting rid of things, especially when some had been around for a couple of decades. But they weren't getting worked on (20+ minute drive to the space from the house) and after 45+ years of racing/riding those bikes which had been new on the showroom when I started, I didn't have a lot of interest in them now.

Now everything is at home, I've got three modern project bikes and money to put into them from selling stuff off and room to work in the garage from a pretty ruthless elimination of all the vintage or dirt bike related stuff.

I'm more into fiddling/building than riding so even if I finish the bikes they probably won't see a lot of riding time. Besides, Bay Area traffic is a lot scarier than being on a race track, one or two couple hour rides in the middle of the week middle of the day would be fine.

13 years of retirement coming up next month, and it is still better than being at work!

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
at 65, I faced reality that those things in enjoyed when younger years don't have the appeal they one did. I sold my motorcycle Friday. i've been riding since 1978. Riding saved my mind and soul so many times. it was therapeutical. it was a life style. riding has becoming increaseingly dangerous, especially in Florida. I've gotten around that by not riding at all in fla and trailering my bike to the mountains and riding there for a week or a month at a time. what I will miss are the riders I meet on the road.

Then yesterday, I sold my sailboat. I still love to sail, but I found yesterday that I cannot step the mast by myself anymore.

that leaves me with my white water kayak and associated paddle gear. I bought brand new a couple years back in another attempt to regain my youth. I still have the skills, but not the desire.
This has got to be a tough grievance. My dad crashed the motorcycle at 64 and he needs me to come with him sailing so I can get his mast up.

He's replaced the motorcycle with a bicycle and I keep telling him to trade in the sailboat for a cruiser, we'll see. I do really enjoy sailing with him. He did get out on skiis last year and we are planning a final ski trip to the alps this year. Getting old sucks!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

The wife and I are 65 and 64 respectively, and we still like our main toys, the Harleys. But we are riding less and less, mostly due to the heat here in TN during the summer months, and we tend not to go out at all if it even hints at rain. We are also into traveling a lot during the year for months at a time, so the bikes are not suitable transportation for those trips (the resorts we stay at do not allow trailers, otherwise we could take them). Like I said, we love having them, but not sure how much longer we will be keeping them if we are only putting on 3-4000 miles per year.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote