Join Early Retirement Today

Semi Retired
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Semi Retired

I am a Professor Emeritus since 2007. Great job if you can get it. I still do teaching and research, for which I am paid adequately. I have colleagues and students. I love my courses. I work about 1/3 time. My department was able to hire a very fine full time faculty member into my "slot", so they are appreciative.

My question is whether any other occupations provide this quite pleasant transition? Even universities in Europe are much more brutal towards their retiring faculty.

I am trying to improve the utilization of emeriti and would be happy to adopt ideas from other areas.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've a similar arrangement from an academic medical career - down to two days a week starting in April. Nice for those who enjoyed their prior career and just want a bit less of it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I left academia about 15 years ago to work in the for-profit high-tech sector. A couple years ago I went from a VP position to a "distinguished senior fellow" position with part-time hours. I get to start skunk works projects and turn them over to anybody I want to.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was planning to retire later this year entirely. However, it has been suggested that I could work perhaps 1 day a week or so with no responsibility to be actively working on cases (attorney) but to be available to give input, advise, etc. I am leaning towards doing this.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Brannigan View Post
I am a Professor Emeritus since 2007. Great job if you can get it. I still do teaching and research, for which I am paid adequately.
I'm on active faculty in the health care field and am dependent on clinical care for my income. Teaching and research are not compensated to any meaningful extent; they are just the price I pay to work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Brannigan View Post
I am trying to improve the utilization of emeriti and would be happy to adopt ideas from other areas.
In my university emeriti are not paid. They get the use of an office and access to the internet. I have no intention of ever becoming a prof. emerita. Once I'm FIRE, I'm out of here. Freebies are so overrated.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

In Illinois, public school teachers may retire and begin collecting their pensions but continue teaching or return to teaching in the same public school system up to a limit of 600 hours per school year.

A close friend retired but continues to teach an AP math class at the high school where he taught for 30+ years and receives very attractive compensation for doing so.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have had several senior people phase out by taking advisor roles. I am considering trying something like that. I am actually hoping to get a seat on our Board (I'm Sr mgmt) but may also try to find a Board role in a smaller megacorp in a different industry. In either case, this is still nearly 3 years away. If I can't make it happen, I won't be too disappointed, but I would like to be able to add value while taking more time for myself and my family.

R
Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW retains 1/2 time role in her manufacturing company even though we've move to the beach 500 miles away. Small powder metal auto parts manufacturer that is foreign owned, and doing well despite the auto industry woes.

She does quality, tracks all production, oversees audits, etc. Very good at it and they save money by not hiring full time. Her work gets max exposure to the overseas owners. Only person who works long distance for the company. One downside is the once a month treck to be there in person but hard to beat the pay and she luvs keeping one foot in it with the other on the beach.

Bottom line: it works because everything just lines up right and she has the right mindset/talent for it

She might work a morning at the computer, then we'll drop the boat off the lift, cruise over to a waterfront eatery on the sound. Maybe spend the afternoon fishin or at the beach. Works pretty well so far
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm part owner of an engineering co, working 3 days a week. I personally only work on projects for 2 clients, and provide advice to colleagues. I come and go as I please and frequently work from home or on the road. Everything works well as long as there is good communication with my clients and support staff of 3.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #10

OK, this has nothing to do with anything...but, when my hubby was in UH graduate school years ago, we attended a faculty gathering with several of his professors. I was young and dumb, so when he introduced me to a "Professor Emeritus", I thought that was his name. Duuuuuurrr.

I'm still embarrassed about that.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #11

The Health Profession is getting harder every year for Physicians, what with decreasing reimbursements & increasing overheads .....etc.

Five years back I had a life changing auto accident & am not able to do many things in my office, which I used to do before. Luckily I had a fair Disability Ins. Policy.

I work four 1/2 days a week in my solo office and was frustated & depressed at the start. As I have more time at home for myself & my family now, I am enjoying my carreer more.

Funny, by working less (& earning less, although not by choice) I am enjoying my life much more. There is no more of that rat race, & I am lucky that I lived LBMM & saved some dough earlier, which comes in handy.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote