Join Early Retirement Today

Senator seeks tax on pimps, prostitutes
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Senator seeks tax on pimps, prostitutes

Dang. http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/...tax/index.html

Looks like the IRS is going to put it's finger in the pie stick its nose in someone else's business get it's pound of flesh blow a good deal screw up a ... Oh, nevermind.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Senator seeks tax on pimps, prostitutes
Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Damn it, why does Uncle Sam find a need to interfere with my social life?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if the gov't will add their services to the CPI or PPI. Probably the PPI would be more appropriate
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Would that be the Pimp Price Index (PPI)? Surely it wouldn't be something else, would it?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Dang. http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/...tax/index.html

Looks like the IRS is going to put it's finger in the pie stick its nose in someone else's business get it's pound of flesh blow a good deal screw up a ... Oh, nevermind.

You know, I would have almost bet my life that this Senator would be a Republican! - Mostly because there is little or no money there and it is sinful on top of it!

Why doesn't the GOP get to work on the serious issues of this country. My god, they have control of the White House, Both Houses of Congress and the Supreme Court!

Is this what you Neocons elected these guys to do? :
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #6

Chalk one up for the "Religious Nutjobs".

It's beyond me why you put up with this crap in the 'Good ol' US of A"?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #7

Wow. From tongue-in-cheek to potitical diatribe to US bashing in 6 posts. Are we good or what!!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Wow. From tongue-in-cheek to potitical diatribe to US bashing in 6 posts. Are we good or what!!!!

REWahoo - You have far too much sense to be a Neocon. - Aren't you getting tired of this Religious right stuff being crammed down your throat?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
REWahoo - You have far too much sense to be a Neocon. - Aren't you getting tired of this Religious right stuff being crammed down your throat?
Would it help if you knew I get down on my knees every day and pray for it to end? It's almost forced me to take off my Jerry Falwell secret decoder ring. The optimist in me says the pendulum will soon swing back the other way; the pessimist in me says it will swing well past the center and to the far left.

I respectfully decline to answer under the protection provided me by the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It does open up a few good ideas though.

You could identify the prostitutes more easily by looking for their Tax Stamps. And they could advertise "we pay the tax, this friday and saturday only!" specials...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Chalk one up for the "Religious Nutjobs".

It's beyond me why you put up with this crap in the 'Good ol' US of A"?
Hey Zip: *Just got back a bit ago from playing lst. leg in a tournament. *(Feeling pretty mellow now).

Was thinking of your quick meal. *Was that a bag of micro-wave popcorn and 8 beers?

Ya'all don't go away, I may join you in an hour or so.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:

Yep, we're nimble bunch.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #13

Quote:
I respectfully decline to answer under the protection provided me by the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution.
RE, where you a CEO before you retired. They typically have that phrase down pat.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #14

There was a very funny "exposé" on Italian TV about the situation prostitutes face here: prostitution itself has been "decriminalized" while "exploitation of prostitution" (i.e, pimping. bordellos) remains illegal. However, prostitutes are not exactly "legal", either, in the maze of Italian tax and work regulations.

"The Hyenas" which is 2 parts "60 Minutes", 1 part The Daily Show, with some Monty Python and Candid Camera mixed in (if you can get your head around that!) sent a (guy) reporter in drag with a hidden camera to go around to all the local bureaucracies to put himself "in regola", that is, to get squared away legally with tax authorities, pension, business license, etc. for his 'job' as a transsexual prostitute.

Hilarity ensues.

http://www.iene.mediaset.it/programm.../puntata.shtml

third clip from the bottom .. "una prostituta in regola"; pick DSL cause the sound will be better and reading the clearer subtitles might help you some. Even though you may not comprehend most of it, it may be worth it for the people's reactions (even though they blur out the faces, due to Italy's strict 'privacy' laws).

It starts out with a news article about the Italian IRS going after a madam for not paying taxes.. so the "Iene" decide to investigate what it would take to sign up as a legit tax-paying business entity. First 'she' goes to get her partita IVA (business tax ID#), but they don't know how to classify her, so they end up suggesting the category "other family services"..*

Then "she" has to go to the local sort of city chamber of commerce to register her business, and there they suggest "masseuse"..

The pension people are the easiest, as long as you pay into the system (like Social Security).. She explains how she's worried about her retirement because, you know, a girl only has so much time in this business! The clerk is sympathetic to her plight.

Then finally to the police to get a street vendor's license ("occupazione di suolo/spazio pubblico" -- public space occupancy permit)... where the officials are more scolding.. she tries to explain.. "scarico/carico" (pickup & deliveries..).

At the end of the clip she tells a (real) prospective client that she'll go with him for €50 plus tax (IVA).. who should she make out the invoice to?* [ALL transactions are supposed to have either a fiscal receipt or an invoice and sales tax added]. The client's response: "Ma intestala a 'sto cazzo!" -bleeeep!- ("make it out to my prick!") and drives off...*
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #15

Don't they tax 'em and license 'em in the Netherlands, that bastion of liberal thought? I have been window shopping in Amsterdam, many moons ago. At the time I was just a kid, green behind the ears, seeking comfort.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Just for the record, and not taking a position on the proposal, Sen. Grassley is not a nutjob or any of the other suggested stereotypes here. He is a very decent, down-to-earth, honest man who just happens to have a different view point than some of you have. Why can't we just leave it at that? I don't mind poking fun at the proposal; some of the comments are actually quite funny. I don't understand why the attacks have to become personal.

setab

An Iowa boy
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
Just for the record, and not taking a position on the proposal, Sen. Grassley is not a nutjob or any of the other suggested stereotypes here. He is a very decent, down-to-earth, honest man who just happens to have a different view point than some of you have. Why can't we just leave it at that? I don't mind poking fun at the proposal; some of the comments are actually quite funny. I don't understand why the attacks have to become personal.

setab

An Iowa boy
I think it started with the ridiculous impeachment of President Clinton.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think it started with the ridiculous impeachment of President Clinton.
Interesting. I thought the mantra was Clinton is gone, what's it got to do with anything posted in this thread? Oh well. I'm not sucking into the Clinton thing again; I merely point out that that Sen. Grassley is a good man and all he has done is propose legislation, which is what he was elected to do. That doesn't make him a nutjob, even if you disagree with him.

setab
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I merely point out that that Sen. Grassley is a good man and all he has done is propose legislation, which is what he was elected to do. That doesn't make him a nutjob, even if you disagree with him.

setab
Yeah - No nutjob! - Working on the countries most important issues, as well as putting an 'end' to the world's oldest profession.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

CT,

Have a good day!

setab