Setting to disable "wrong-PIN lockout" on Android phone?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
During the lockdown, I started jogging on the beach since the treadmill wasn't available. I carry my Android phone in a little neck wallet (a small flat bag on a lanyard).

Lately, the phone has been alarming loudly due to "too many incorrect PIN attempts." This has to be due to the little bag bumping my chest as I jog. Drives me nuts, because I keep having to stop and hit "OK" to shut it up. I've tried reversing the phone inside the wallet; doesn't help. If there is a setting to temporarily disable the wrong-PIN lockout, I haven't been able to find it.

The only solution I've come up with is to turn off the sound, but that seems like a bad solution, since the phone will continue to alarm regardless.

Any thoughts on how I can tame the noisy thing?

Take a long sock. Cut off the toes. Pull the sock over your arm, up to your armpit. Fold over from the bottom up. Stick the phone in the fold.

That way the phone does not move when you run and it costs nothing, so worth trying.
See Youtube for a demonstration.
I tried it and like it. YMMV :->>

I have, but then it takes a while to come back on when I need to take a photo. I've missed some good shots because of this.

Turn it off while jogging.

Thanks - I'm really looking for a tech solution, though :flowers:

Take a long sock. Cut off the toes. Pull the sock over your arm, up to your armpit. Fold over from the bottom up. Stick the phone in the fold.

That way the phone does not move when you run and it costs nothing, so worth trying.
See Youtube for a demonstration.
I tried it and like it. YMMV :->>

So, I am looking for a way to re-set the phone's settings, not a new way to hold the device. I've used the neck wallet for years and never had this problem before....Thanks, anyway!

You can buy an armband to hold the phone instead of making one on your own.

Thanks - I'm really looking for a tech solution, though :flowers:

My Android phone (Moto) has an option for face recognition for unlocking the phone rather than a pin... I wonder if that might work.

Also, do you press the power button briefly before storing the phone and jogging?

My Android phone (Moto) has an option for face recognition for unlocking the phone rather than a pin... I wonder if that might work.

Also, do you press the power button briefly before storing the phone and jogging?

I did have a fingerprint recognition going, but it vanished. It was in addition to the PIN. I haven't bothered to do another one, but maybe I should.

I do press the power button to darken the phone when I am not using it.

How about using an app to disable the touch screen? Launch the app just before you start running and then your bag rubbing on the screen won't have any effect on the phone. When you want to use the phone again, press the volume button to deactivate the app.

There are several apps for this in the Google Play store. I particularly enjoyed the description for this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.obake.team.touchprotector

You might confuse at first. The more you customize this app for yourself, the more you will feel sure it awesome.

There are many use cases, even the app developer couldn't find them.

The weakness here is that most of these apps are designed to keep the phone screen on so you can watch a video or use a GPS without losing your place due to an accidental touch. In your case, keeping the phone on will be a battery drain, so you might have to look around a bit to see if there's one that works when the phone is dark.

A picture of what you store the phone in currently might help.

However, I'll go ahead and suggest, a very thin hard plastic sheet, just slightly larger than the phone placed over the phone front and then the entire thing inserted into the pouch.

You could try a cereal box cardboard piece as a test.

Could you change PIN security to SWIPE for the jog, then restore when you are finished?

Last edited:
That sounds promising, but I haven't been able to find the right command in Settings.

Could you change PIN security to SWIPE for the jog, then restore when you are finished?

That sounds promising, but I haven't been able to find the right command in Settings.

It may vary depending the version of Android, but this video does a walk through on changing from PIN to SWIPE.

Back
Top Bottom