Setting Up Google Adsense

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm sure a few of you have experience with Google Adsense. As I understand it each person can only have one account. If I am just dabbling now as a hobby business but am considering setting up a proper business in the future, should I wait until I set up a business to get an Adsense account or will it be workable if I start puttering with a personal Adsense account now?

I guess my main fear is toying around now and causing tax / income problems if I make a "real" business in the future.

Thanks!

Are you talking about Adsense or Adwords?  If you own a business and you want to advertise it on Google and their related networks, you would use Adwords.  If you have one or more websites and want to show advertisements on your sites for other companies in order to make some money, you would use Adsense.

In any case, you can only have one Adsense and one Adwords account and it doesn't matter if you start it today, or next year.  However, if you want an Adsense account you will have to have a website to submit to Google for approval.  Once they approve the first website, any additional websites will automatically be approved.

Trying to make money with Adsense is getting harder and harder because there are so many people trying to do the same thing.  However, using Adwords to promote your business or product is still a very viable method of advertising.

Anyone know anyone that is making "real" money with adsense? It seems all the agreements are confidential, so I've never heard details...nice concept, but as eriter says, the field must be getting very crowded...

I know a couple of local companies that bring in millions from revenue share agreements with google.    Google pays out something like 80% of their AdSense revenue, which is a ton (I haven't looked at their filings, but I'd guess way north of $500M annually).

If you have a lot of traffic, you can make a lot of money.

Edit: BTW, did you hear the one about the guy selling ads by the pixel?

Kid makes a million...

I mean AdSense, and yeah, I probably missed they heyday of it.

I phrased my question poorly, so let me try to phrase it even more poorly ;) : If I open an AdSense account now, will I regret it later if I create a business and want the AdSense revenue to go to the business? In other words, do it now or wait 'till I figure out what the heck I'm doing?

farmerEd, not sure, and not sure what you mean by "real" money. intercst claimed an amount that surprised me (few hundred a month), but it was short lived and artificially inflated for reasons I won't go into here. I think Skylark (a poster here who's been MIA a while) claims his static financial info site pays a third of his mortgage. I have no grand plans or great hopes; if my sites give me nothing but semi-subsidized resume fodder then that's fine by me. If something takes off and makes me enough money to count in whole dollars then I'll be thrilled.

Mostly cross-posted with Wab, but his comment is certainly encouraging.

The key to making money with Adsense, or anything else on the Internet, is traffic.  With Adsense this is done two ways--create a high content site, get it indexed by the search engines, and continue to add new, relevant content.  The other way is to create sites by the hundreds, or thousands, and not worry about the content, just try to make a few dollars, or cents, per site. 

I used to be able to generate a site or two a day, get it indexed within a 2-3 days, and start making money within a week.  Some of these sites would make a few cents a day and some a few dollars a day, and my income was increasing substantially every month.  Then, as everyone else started doing the same thing, the search engines started banning the type of sites I was creating, and the income drastically decreased.  Also, the methods I was using to get the sites indexed became over-used and didn't work any longer.  However, I am still making decent $$ from a couple of the old sites, but who knows for how long?

I'm guessing you are more interested in creating one content site, as opposed to hundreds of junk sites.  If this is the case I think you will have a difficult time in making any substantial money with Adsense.  You will be competing with millions of other websites and will have to feed the search engines exactly what they want on a daily basis (this site, the Early Retirement board, is a good example of what you will need to do).  It's not impossible, just extremely difficult, even to make a few dollars a month from a new site.

However, there is no reason not to try.  Just to please my wife I created a site with pictures of cats and asked anyone who was interested to post a picture of their cats, and, all of a sudden it started getting reasonable traffic and producing Adsense income. 

I'm not sure why you would want to wait to open an Adsense account, unless you don't have a site to submit to Google.  At tax time I just add my Adsense revenue into my other business income and pay the tax. 

>>farmerEd, not sure, and not sure what you mean by "real" money.

Guess I was thinking minimum of 1K or more...a few tens or hundreds of dollars per month isn't "real" money, the way I was thinking about it....

I was just curious, I have no plans of doing any adsense site, its just something I know nothing about....

How about this question then: what kind of site, and traffics stats/hits would you need to generate 1K per month? How about 2-3K? I'd guess that if a site was pulling in 1k per month from adsense that you'd are probably doing better than 99.9% of all the adsense junk sites that is out there.

farmerEd said:
How about this question then: what kind of site, and traffics stats/hits would you need to generate 1K per month? How about 2-3K? I'd guess that if a site was pulling in 1k per month from adsense that you'd are probably doing better than 99.9% of all the adsense junk sites that is out there.

The short answer is I don't know. A slightly longer answer is that we probably won't find out unless we do it ourselves since I think you're not supposed to discuss earnings after signing up with AdSense.

I think it's a complicated formula. Advertisers (through Google AdWords) bid on keywords, and some keywords are bid higher than others, so a healthcare related website may bring in more revenue per click than a videogaming website. A site I've been reading, http://www.makeeasymoneywithgoogle.com/ (heh, from the name I'm embarrassed to say I read that, but I found it via the author who posted something useful at Slashdot, and the site seems more balanced than the name suggests) says that you want a website with a topic that people pay money for; an example of a bad topic is things for webmasters since they're notoriously cheap.

Then there is the question of what type of readers are likely to click on ads and eventually buy stuff? (Gratuitous clicking just for the sake of clicking or "helping a site" is detectable and counterproductive.) This one has me clueless and is something I hope to learn as I go.

I bet you're right about $1k per month being in the 99th percentile of AdSense sites. Most are crap. And mine will be crap, too, at first. Even the website I liked to says you have to work hard at it despite the "easy" in the site name.

In April, 2004, I started a Google AdSense account, which has grown to be a pretty good source of income for me.  For 2005, this account earned $9,800.

It has been my experience, that AdSense is a very tough business in which to earn money.  There is a great deal to understand about creating webpages which are designed to earn AdSense income.  My pages are very highly tweaked, and I am constantly working to improve them.

The magic behind Google AdSense is, that the ads served to a page are designed to be relevant to the content of that page.  This is a wonderful thing, when ads are actually relevant.  The person reading a page with relevant ads is drawn to click on the ads to gain information.  Google AdSense pays me money when an ad is clicked on one of my pages.

It is pretty hard to publish a webpage on a particular subject, and get that page to come up on the first page of a Google search.  You can imagine that if a page comes up on anything less than the first page of that search, the reader will likely never see the page link.  No seeing the page link equals no AdSense income.

My philosophy behind my webpages, is to provide entertainment and information about RVing (Recreational Vehicle) life.  When people are interested in something concerning RVs, and do a search for that topic on the internet, one of my webpages might come up in the search.

Would you like to take a peek at my primary AdSense page?  It is called Ms. Tioga Magazine.

George

Back
Top Bottom