Seven Cups of Coffee a Day May Lead to Hallucinations

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Jan. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Consuming the caffeine in seven cups of instant coffee a day may leave you more likely to see, hear and smell things that aren’t there, U.K. researchers said.

People who drink at least 330 milligrams of the stimulant a day were three times as likely to have hallucinations as those who consumed less than 10 milligrams a day, Durham University researchers found in a study of 219 college students published today in Personality and Individual Differences.
Bloomberg.com: Science

Well, this certainly explains a lot during my working years, as I drank more than this. Hmmm, maybe all that nasty stuff I saw and felt was just a hallucination - especially my last boss (satan's mentor and role model).

On second thought, maybe the coffee induced hallucinations made it more tolerable. :D

Michael

I'm going to have to call "BS".

"...in a study of 219 college students..."

I don't think the substance causing hallucinations in these folks is even remotely connected to coffee.

I don't think the substance causing hallucinations in these folks is even remotely connected to coffee.

if they quit putting those peyote buttons in their Starbucks, they would lose the hallucinations........;)

Ah ha! a study out of the U.K. Disembodied voices tell me to look for a conspiracy from the tea interests.

i recall seeing a big dog, legs on both sides of the road big, one 0:dawnthirty-ish time when driving in the mountains on a shared one-shot drive of 1200 miles or so. stimulants + coffee were involved - decided they were not a very good idea for me. I'll take my hallucinations straight, thank-you very much.

In college, we had a guy we called "Santa" because he always appeared with a large supply of "Christmas Trees" (speed) right around year-end Finals week.

He would make enough money to pay for all his family's X-mas presents and the next semester of school.........

Geez you guys! I'm only 34 and anything above pot was looked down upon in college! What era was this that Finals week = crank session? :eek: That's pretty hard core!

I wonder if people would believe me if I say that I manage to get through college getting high on nothing more than beer and Marlboro.

Geez you guys! I'm only 34 and anything above pot was looked down upon in college! What era was this that Finals week = crank session? :eek: That's pretty hard core!

One finals day I took speed. Our exams were 3.5 hours. I couldn't sit. I squatted on my seat and wrote the exam. Not my best showing.

I am not a good candidate for speed.

Ha

One finals day I took speed. Our exams were 3.5 hours. I couldn't sit. I squatted on my seat and wrote the exam. Not my best showing.

A usual side effect of consuming amphetamines in college for me was a spotless apartment.

On the final exam topic, I wasn't a very serious student, so instead of doing speed for exams, I brought a nalgene bottle of vodka for my math proof and combinatorics finals. I got an A in both courses, better than most of the sober students. :duh:

A usual side effect of consuming amphetamines in college for me was a spotless apartment.

On the final exam topic, I wasn't a very serious student, so instead of doing speed for exams, I brought a nalgene bottle of vodka for my math proof and combinatorics finals. I got an A in both courses, better than most of the sober students. :duh:
I didn't do amphetamines, but others did. Found that wine helped with programming (but had to find the 'sweet spot' on ounces per hour).

Finals week for me entailed nothing stronger than coffee, which worked pretty well even for all-nighters. I would typically procrastinate badly all term, so cramming was the only thing that saved me. (Anyone who says cramming doesn't work is a liar or has not dedicated themselves to it fully.)

If, despite the combined efforts of Juan Valdez and Mrs Folgers, sleep stil threatened to derail my academic efforts, I would bring out the big guns: Twizzlers. I'd savor their succulent corn-syrupy red goodness by the pound. Though the sugar rush quickly subsided, the ensuing nausea would leave me afraid that sleep would result in me drowning in my own vomit. I was rolling the dice big time: Academic success or an ignominious end like John Bonham's.

Maybe the amphetamines would have been a better choice.

I had a law school roommate that partied and snorted coke the night before the Contracts final exam. She got the highest grade in the class.

I managed to do the same in Constitutional Law when I was taking Demerol for a kidney stone.

O.K., I agree cramming works for some classes, but Calc and programming, no way. You aren't going to cram a semester worth of for/while loops, pointers, arrays etc. in one night. Well, at least I'm not smart enough to.

The 70s. I keep telling people that the sixties happened in the 70s, except in SF. I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, and I owe it all to going straight to speed in college, where most people learn to drink it. And it's not all that hard core. When you are young your body seems to be able to handle things quite handily that would destroy you later in life. And if you ended up sleep deprived, well, there were cures for that too. ;)

Speaking of which, despite what the ONDCP says, caffeine is the true gateway drug. I mean, show me a single person who uses any type of recreational drug who didn't start out with caffeine. Even me, although I use diet coke instead of coffee.

The 70s. I keep telling people that the sixties happened in the 70s, except in SF. I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, and I owe it all to going straight to speed in college, where most people learn to drink it. And it's not all that hard core. When you are young your body seems to be able to handle things quite handily that would destroy you later in life. And if you ended up sleep deprived, well, there were cures for that too. ;)

Speaking of which, despite what the ONDCP says, caffeine is the true gateway drug. I mean, show me a single person who uses any type of recreational drug who didn't start out with caffeine. Even me, although I use diet coke instead of coffee.

Nowadays I only use small amounts of caffeine and alcohol. Getting too old for that s***.

If you remember that college experience then you weren't doing it right.

I remember one engineering watch, after I'd been up for 24+ hours, where every indicator dial on every panel was twitching. All 108 of them. I finally decided that it couldn't be an actual or an electrical problem, so it had to be my sixth cup of engine-room coffee.

If you remember that college experience then you weren't doing it right.

I remember one engineering watch, after I'd been up for 24+ hours, where every indicator dial on every panel was twitching. All 108 of them. I finally decided that it couldn't be an actual or an electrical problem, so it had to be my sixth cup of engine-room coffee.

I recall your descriptions of 'submarine coffee'; I still think you could bottle and sell it.:duh:

Back
Top Bottom