SF Gay Pride Parade, anybody going

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The parade halfway point is just where I live. I got me a spot staked out at 3rd and Market.

I'll be wearing Dijon colored Polo cargo pants, a white Gap long sleeve with light blue strips and grey Oakley Gas Can sunglasses with a black NorthFace backpack. And maybe a boa, NOT. Stop by and say hello if you get downtown.

I'll be there, too, somewhere at the start of the parade (by the Ferry building). Wearing all white with a red Nike backpack.

LL,
You should be easy to spot with that Red on white, motif. Any chance you'll red canvas retro Cons on? :D

Hey,
I saw a few posters from the board, I'm sure it was them. But I took about 150 pictures. It was really pretty fun all in all. Not being gay or even headed that way, I still enjoyed the festivity.

I put some funny pictures here, just scroll to the bottom:

http://oapinsf.blogspot.com/

Hope nobody is offended. Especially Maximillion or DOG51.

Have a GREAT time at the parade!! It's a gorgeous day for the festivities. We want a full report when you return.

Hey LL, do you live the bay area or are you just visiting?

Alright Cube_Rat, here’s my take on today’s parade and yes, it was a beautiful day for a Gay parade.

I got there just as the motorcycles came roaring thru and as you might imagine, a hundred Harley’s in between tall buildings and you got a sound that is deafening. Then came the bicycle club and some overweight guys is buck-nekked, letting it all hang out. And he weren’t no Brickhouse from where I was standing but it was a bit cool. Possibly the most fun was watching a young girl assigned to keep people from crossing the street between groups. She had the entire block to guard and she would run and stop the offender and send them back. The crowd was cheering her and those trying to cross were getting booed and heckled. Someone yelled, “ I love the Security girl” and everyone cracked up.

Some of the most interesting events and people were in the crowd. I estimated that 25% of the crowd was gay/lesbian so if there were a million there, that makes out to be 2500,000 gays in the crowd. I’ll bet the parade itself had 10,000 gays/lesbians marching. A couple of times I made some extra room for the big hairy backed type that were wearing nothing but a Speedo. Saw at least a dozen of them.

The parade seemed to bring out the freaks and fringe elements also, the Goths, the Satanists, the leather lovers, the kinky sex types, the mystics, the tattoo/full body type, the aged hippies, the he/she/other types, and you know, some average nerdy, boring types were there also. And then there was me who combines several of those fetishes into a type called OAP. But, the thing that really surprised me was the number of 50ish year old types who are gay or lesbian. I saw dozens and dozens of gray haired men holding hands. They looked like doctors, lawyers and corporate chiefs.

Cisco Systems had it’s own marching cheering squad. Delta Airlines had a real float and had put lots of money out to get in on the parade. Foreign Legion, police, firefighters, teachers, cowboys, and you name it, they were represented.

The parade was not the high budget Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade, it was lots of small groups dressed outrageously and trying to entertain the crowd which was pretty big I suspect. They handed out millions of condoms, and I got a 25 year supply, one. But the funny thing was they kept sort of honing in on and giving these two young college age guys beside me condoms. One of them finally realized that the performers thought they were gay and one said to the other, “Hell, you obviously look gay cause I sure don’t”. They cracked up.

Two 20 somethings were sitting on the sidewalk in front of me and the parade obviously put them in the mood for each other. Both had buzz cuts and the amount of use of the tongue would have me believe that they were getting very charged up for the evening. Wonder what they are doing right now.

I do believe a good time was had by all. I saw nothing but shiny happy smiling people.

Thanks for the report! :D

Did you see the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence around?

Great parade!!   :LOL:  Even saw a few former colleagues who pranced about me thinking I was a participant instead of an observer.  We got that straightened out after I introduced them to my DW.  Happy to see them happy.  I think the parade is up there with the the Bay to Breakers spectacle.  Made it back aboard for cocktail hour and many happy observations.   :)

starboardtack,
did you see that group with the truck load of dancing cowboy types in red-checkered shirts. It caused a very obviously gay guy next to me to go bonkers. He wanted one of those cowboys. His friends had to hold him back.

Man what a hoot.

Sounds like a blast ... kinda like the one here in Boston :) Glad you had a good time OAP.

Saw lots of cowboys, but not the ones you mentioned.  Funny thing was they either had their chaps on backwards or forgot to put on their wranglers underneath.  Lots of Brokeback Mtn. wannabes I think.  My gay colleagues pointed out to me that the guys in Brokeback were sheepherders and not cowboys.  Didn't see the movie yet and can't speak to much about that, but it sure torqued the shorts of my Portagee friend.   :)  Anyway, saw "Open Range" with Robert Duvall last night on AMC and am looking forward to seeing him in the first episode of "Broken Trail" on the same channel tonight at 8 PDT.  Got great reviews.  Hope they got their chaps on right and over their Wranglers.   :D

Outtahere,
Thanks, I enjoyed the parade but whew, it wore me out. Not sure if I've had that many "visuals" in one day before. Some major league different folks. But, I'm still laughing at the girl whose beau is out fishing with his buddies. :D

The parade was a lot of fun. I thought the "dykes on bikes" looked like they were having the most fun second to the cloggers. I can't believe anyone would admit to being a "clogger". No offense.

OldAgePensioner said:
starboardtack,
did you see that group with the truck load of dancing cowboy types in red-checkered shirts. It caused a very obviously gay guy next to me to go bonkers. He wanted one of those cowboys. His friends had to hold him back.

I tried to take some pictures but found out after a few shots that my batteries were dead. Bummer.

Cube-rat:
I am not from the area. I'm just visiting. This is my very favorite city and I try to come out here as often as possible. My cousin lives here and I have met a lot of wonderful, kind people through her. Best city in the USA.

LL,
:confused:
I looked all over the Ferry Building area.

DOG51,
I really tried to get them to end that nonsense but, hey, a straight guy in a gay parade is like a golfer trying to reason with a kayaker. :D

Got a PM to the effect of "weren't you and your wife offended?"  As a non-PM response:  NOT, says I and DW.  Sheeesh!  Many of my and our long time dear friends were, are and will continue to be gay/lesbian, bisexual and they are who they are and I am who I am.  We float in different boats on the same ocean.  We just steer different courses under the same winds.  And I hope to make clear to the PMer, and what OAP and most understand,

OldAgePensioner said:
... major league different folks.

are mostly a certain portion of a larger population "out" to entertain and celebrate who they are.   Most all around here (Bay Area) and elsewhere know that.   Bless us all, closet cloggers too!  :) 

starboardtack,
when I mention different folks, it's just different to me, an ignorant nerd, but well travelled and learning. Yes, I did see the celebration of difference aspect. Just worded wrong.

SF is my kinda city. I just need time to adjust from Chicago.

OAP, I was trying to respond publicly to a private message (PM) I received about my parade post.  Guess I got my lines fouled again.  Just thought I would quote your good words.  Major league different to me too.   :)  Figured you had a few leagues under your keel.  Did jot down some of the dives you mentioned in the dive post.  Gotta try some.  Thought I knew most.  Glad I don't.

OAP,
I ended up camped out in the 400 block of Market instead. I was sitting comfortably on a ledge until I noticed it overlooked the subway enterance. Then it scared the c*** out of me. Afterwards we continued on to the civic center where I bought a years worth of pretty-smelling shower soap.

Hi LL - Glad you enjoy visiting San Francisco. Today's weather doesn't get any better than this, wouldn't you say?

LL,
I just missed ya. I went down to Beale St. and watched a guy non-stop dancing in the street and he was pretty cool. Bronzed Brazilian with not much on and dressed like a queen. Lot's of vintage cars ready to join at the end of the parade.

Hope you had a great time.

OldAgePensioner said:
Hey,
I saw a few posters from the board, I'm sure it was them. But I took about 150 pictures. It was really pretty fun all in all. Not being gay or even headed that way, I still enjoyed the festivity.

I put some funny pictures here, just scroll to the bottom:

http://oapinsf.blogspot.com/

Hope nobody is offended. Especially Maximillion or DOG51.

Were these posters in the parade?

"i'm the baby; gotta love me."~~baby sinclair, dinosaurs tv program circa early 1990something

http://tinyurl.com/pbjm4

By Randolph E. Schmid
Associated Press Writer
Posted June 26 2006

WASHINGTON -- Having several older brothers increases the likelihood of a man being gay, a finding researchers say adds weight to the idea that there is a biological basis for sexual orientation. ``It's likely to be a prenatal effect,''

thanx oap for the good san fran rainbow coverage.

Back
Top Bottom