Share a Hobby?

Those of us who collect sand are called "arenophiles." It comes from Greek -- lover of earth. I have 650 different samples from around the world. 150. Countries and all 50 states. Sand is not limited to beaches, but my collecting began on the beach in Cancun.
I've been to a lot of beaches, but only saved sand from one. I went swimming at that beach!

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 10
Maybe we (the reloaders here) should start a thread on reloading? I don't reload a lot of rifle ammo anymore (but I did back in the day). I would agree that you can really get into many more details reloading that stuff. I even reloaded shotgun shells for years when I did a lot of trap shooting and dove hunting. However, I do still reload a lot of handgun ammo. Mostly 38's, 357's, 44 Specials and 44 mags. Happy to discuss if anyone is interested.

Another reloader here--38sp, 30-30, 30-06, .243 and shotgun. Mostly reload for the versatility on the rounds. Somewhat for the money/accuracy. Special shotgun rounds for the .410 for small game. Pointed tip 30-30 for the Savage--everyone else sells round nose intended for lever actions. Heavy and light bullets for the .243 depending on deer or varmints. Light load .38 for target practice.

Bought someone's reloads when I was starting out. Man, what is it some people have about hot loads? Most unpleasant shooting experience I've had in a while.

Another dog trainer, in agility -- the routine where the dog jumps hurdles, runs through tubes, navigates teeter-totters, etc. Here's a picture of me and my protege after a recent trial.

Last edited:
@Sarah - Thanks, the fun is in developing the partnership with the dogs.

@Mr._Graybeard - Isn't it fun to see the dogs progress. I love each new step when all of a sudden you can see "the lighbulb come on". Congrats on that handful of ribbons.

@Sarah - Thanks, the fun is in developing the partnership with the dogs.

@Mr._Graybeard - Isn't it fun to see the dogs progress. I love each new step when all of a sudden you can see "the lighbulb come on". Congrats on that handful of ribbons.

My mom has corgis and has done obedience and nosework for years. I appreciate it, but since I keep hounds I am mostly happy if I can keep them from actually climbing onto the table. Where they excel is in keeping the backyard raccoon-free (and since an idiot around the corner feeds the raccoons that is no mean feat). They also have a ball coming with me on the occasional small game hunt, but since I cannot trust them off the leash I do the freakshow thing where I put my belt through the handle of the leash so I can keep a grip on them and have my hands free.

Bought someone's reloads when I was starting out. Man, what is it some people have about hot loads? Most unpleasant shooting experience I've had in a while.

I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. If you want/need more power, then buy something designed to handle it. I hope he was licensed since I think selling reloads without a license is against the law. (See the ATF's website)

Last edited:
Haha, Brewer, I have friends with hounds and you are right, just keeping them off the table is an accomplishment. My god, if you do let them off leash, away they go, enslaved to those prodigious noses!

Nice pup Graybeard! Aussie perhaps? I love to watch agility trialing and frisbee exhibitions, as we have a number of Border Collies that have gone on to win prizes at these kinds of events. Nice to see a dog with a job!

I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. If you want/need more power, then buy something designed to handle it. I hope he was licensed since I think selling reloads without a license is against the law. (See the ATF's website)

I don't get it either. My main interest in reloading is to end up with stuff that is below the oomph of what I can buy in the store, not the other way around.

Couldn't agree more. Handloading for me has always been first and foremost about customizing ammunition for a particular firearm, so as to eke out every bit of accuracy that weapon is capable of; secondarily about reducing cost-per-round (so you can shoot more); and thirdly for building ammo that isn't generally available from the factories (like the down-loaded rounds Brewer mentions).

Loading ammo hot is the simplest thing in the world to do, but unless there is a very clear reason as to why, suggests ignorance more than wisdom.

Took up my old (from 1959-1969) childhood hobby of kart racing about five years ago - 10 years after retiring.

Attachments

• BMWCCA Enduro-759a.jpg
    BMWCCA Enduro-759a.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 12
unfortunately being at work, i do not have many pictures so i will only address one hobby--MOTORCYCLES. I don't ride the local stuff or commute any more. my bike stays parked unless i'm going for a 'ride'. My ride is normally in excess of 5 daysa and 2500 miles. I carry mosat everything i need to camp and eat. After i retire, i will continue to color in my map and hope to have all the states in a couple more years...and i will need a Mexico map too.

edit; my map is not complete! I have completed the east when the wife and I did 29 days on the Goldwing--camping all the way!

Attachments

• 1250 D GAP.JPG
    1250 D GAP.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 8
  • goldwing4.PNG
    goldwing4.PNG
    156.9 KB · Views: 101
  • VisitedStatesMap.jpg
    VisitedStatesMap.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
We have nine alpacas, all boys. We shear them once a year and have learned to spin the fleece in to yarn. It's a nice winter project to sit in front of a fire and spin the fleece. We have other hobbies but this is probably the most unusual?

I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. (See the ATF's website)

If your a competitive USPSA shooter, the last thing you want to do is load hot since one is after the least recoil/muzzle flip.

If your a competitive USPSA shooter, the last thing you want to do is load hot since one is after the least recoil/muzzle flip.

+1

I've never understood loading hot. My DW is small, she can handle a .45 acp in 1911(thin grips, short trigger) no problem, many times she'll outshoot me. Point is she practiced with no fear due to light loads. After 10,000 rounds or so I've added .1 grain here and there. She's now comfortable with Major PF loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

a picture is worth a thousand words...

Attachments

• PC130025.jpg
    PC130025.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PC130017.jpg
    PC130017.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011 key west 021.jpg
    2011 key west 021.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 7
I used to race pigeons and was quite competitive. I won a $7K 300 mile race once. Also a few smaller, ~$1K races.

The beauty of seeing a pigeon set its wings for the final drop after coming home from a 600-mile race, when it was released just ~12 hours previously, is unforgettable.

Now that I am getting close to retirement, it seems like too much work, feeding and caring for 100+ birds.

I'm starting to combine hobbies. Photography with hiking works well. Now woodworking with photography. Going to make an easel like this. Had to make my own plans

Attachments

• easel photo.jpg
    easel photo.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 5
  • easel.jpg
    easel.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom