Share your luck

Lol. As lucky as I've been, I've been equally unlucky. Life is funny like that.

I forgot to mention a couple more times. I was in Amsterdam with some friends when I was 18, and we had just left a "coffee shop" and were headed to the Vangough museum. Generally having a good time wandering the streets of bustling downtown Amsterdam. I am kind of half walking backward half forward while looking back for my group of friends when someone grabs my shirt and just stops me in my tracks...I turn my head left and there is a tram WHIZZING by me...had I turned my head anymore I would have had at best a very bad migraine and at worst a nasty scene on the trolly tracks. I can still feel the whooshing of the trolly, and I could literally smell the metal that the cars were made out of. My first thought as I damn near put my head right into the side of that trolly was "OOOOH, THAT'S what that extremely annoying and obnoxious dinging/honking was" I had never been "honked at" by a trolly before and it made sense after the fact. I had actually never been around trolly car's before so I didn't recognize the noise as a sound that basically squeeled "Hey idiot, you are about to get run over by this trolly!" Hindsight is 20/20. That place was nuts, bicyclists everywhere ringing bells, people walking every which way, and then out of nowhere a trolly coming fairly quickly in the middle of it all. 22 years later my friends still occasionally remind me of how "lucky" I was on that particular occasion.

I have another "incident", best for last...but its not something I want to share with the internet tbh. Another nearly avoided death/should be dead story but its not appropriate and not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Lucky to be born in the US, have a good upbringing, college education, and a fulfilling job/ business, and retire.

And lucky to survive a solo ice skating adventure where I fell through the ice, broke my ankle, broke ice to get to shore and crawl 1/2 mile home in 15 degree temps.

My biggest piece of luck (or as I prefer to think of it, blessing) was being born to immigrant parents who chose to come to the U.S., despite the discrimination and prejudice that existed at the time against minorities. They also kept optimistic attitudes through all of that, and never let me or my 6 siblings feel that they (pr themselves) were victims. We lived in what many would consider a very bad neighborhood until just before I was a teenager, and my siblings and I saw enough violence and death at that time than any kid should see. We were lucky to not have that impact our family - and much of that was due to how my parents related to the "bad" elements of the neighborhood with both firmness and grace. That was also "luck" in that growing in in such a place, I knew I could live anywhere and be prepared.They also focused on the basics of hard work, education, and getting along with others without compromising ones values.

There is a saying, when raising children, that "more is caught than taught". My siblings and I were fortunate that what our parents taught us was also how they lived, and we caught that. It kept us from making many bad choices - in a sense, increasing our opportunity for "luck" - as we grew older.

When in 6th grade I was invited to go on a camping trip with my best friend. We were going to fly in my friend’s dad’s plane to an area in Utah. The night before my mom had a bad feeling, maybe a dream. She stopped me from going. Well, you probably guessed it. The plane crashed a mile from home on the return trip. I never argued with my mom again.
More likely a message from God than luck.

When in 6th grade I was invited to go on a camping trip with my best friend. We were going to fly in my friend’s dad’s plane to an area in Utah. The night before my mom had a bad feeling, maybe a dream. She stopped me from going. Well, you probably guessed it. The plane crashed a mile from home on the return trip. I never argued with my mom again.
More likely a message from God than luck.
There has been a number of threads here on ER, that we have given credit to the word luck or lucky for our success. I rather use the word blessed or an act of prayer for my good fortune in life.

I would most defiantly agree you received a gift from God on that day.

Lol. As lucky as I've been, I've been equally unlucky. Life is funny like that.

I forgot to mention a couple more times. I was in Amsterdam with some friends when I was 18, and we had just left a "coffee shop" and were headed to the Vangough museum. Generally having a good time wandering the streets of bustling downtown Amsterdam. I am kind of half walking backward half forward while looking back for my group of friends when someone grabs my shirt and just stops me in my tracks...I turn my head left and there is a tram WHIZZING by me...had I turned my head anymore I would have had at best a very bad migraine and at worst a nasty scene on the trolly tracks. I can still feel the whooshing of the trolly, and I could literally smell the metal that the cars were made out of. My first thought as I damn near put my head right into the side of that trolly was "OOOOH, THAT'S what that extremely annoying and obnoxious dinging/honking was" I had never been "honked at" by a trolly before and it made sense after the fact. I had actually never been around trolly car's before so I didn't recognize the noise as a sound that basically squeeled "Hey idiot, you are about to get run over by this trolly!" Hindsight is 20/20. That place was nuts, bicyclists everywhere ringing bells, people walking every which way, and then out of nowhere a trolly coming fairly quickly in the middle of it all. 22 years later my friends still occasionally remind me of how "lucky" I was on that particular occasion.

I have another "incident", best for last...but its not something I want to share with the internet tbh. Another nearly avoided death/should be dead story but its not appropriate and not for the faint of heart.

A British friend has claimed to have rescued quite a number of tourists who look the wrong way before stepping out to cross a street. Having been in England and Scotland I can believe it. Toss in One-Way streets and it really gets interesting. I finally decided to look both ways before crossing, and if at all possible, only cross in a crowd of natives. That also works well in Italy. I was so intimidated crossing a busy boulevard near the La Piazza della Republica in Rome, that I followed slowly behind the footstep of a group of Italian nonne (grandmothers) rather than cross on my own. Better to be though of as one of the Mammoni (momma's boys) than dead.

There has been a number of threads here on ER, that we have given credit to the word luck or lucky for our success. I rather use the word blessed or an act of prayer for my good fortune in life.

I would most defiantly agree you received a gift from God on that day.

I've always assumed my survival of several close calls was because God still had something for me to accomplish. I realize not everyone views circumstances this ways so YMMV.

A British friend has claimed to have rescued quite a number of tourists who look the wrong way before stepping out to cross a street. Having been in England and Scotland I can believe it. Toss in One-Way streets and it really gets interesting. I finally decided to look both ways before crossing, and if at all possible, only cross in a crowd of natives. That also works well in Italy. I was so intimidated crossing a busy boulevard near the La Piazza della Republica in Rome, that I followed slowly behind the footstep of a group of Italian nonne (grandmothers) rather than cross on my own. Better to be though of as one of the Mammoni (momma's boys) than dead.
+1
When Megacorp sent expats to the UK for a couple years every one either wrecked a vehicle or walked into traffic while looking the wrong way. Several broken legs, too.

On my first day walking around London, I almost did the same thing and quickly found locals to follow.

I made it to age 75. And still can Figure Skate on ice.
All the weird places. things, never thought I make it past 35.

Lots of good fortune in my life but one of the freakish things was having a tall forklift at a warehouse store accidentally push pallets of large, heavy boxes from a high shelf onto the floor where I'd just been standing a few feet away, like 10 seconds before. I heard some rumbling and saw the boxes moving on the top shelf. If I'd been wearing headphones and listening to music I might not have known to look up and move in time.

Wow.... Great !!

Come on, details are needed......

Did a drag race for pink slips :confused:
Entered the grocery store draw :confused:
:popcorn:

So I have a 1979 El Camino that I found in Arizona back in 2000. I restored it, updated the drivetrain with a 305 TPI/700R4 from an '89 IROC Camaro. I try to bring it to a couple of car shows every summer.

We brought it to a car show in early June last year. The car show was selling raffle tickets for a '57 Bel Air 4-door but I didn't buy any. (we already have 5 vehicles between DW and I!) The show also entered everyone who had a registered vehicle in the show into a drawing for a 1992 Corvette. (the vehicles change every year depending on what the car show promoters can find)

So after the show, and after the regular awards were given out, they drew participants registration numbers for the Corvette with the caveat of "must be present to win." They drew the first number - Crickets. Must have left early. Then they drew the second number. Same thing except I remembered his car and I saw him leave early. Then they drew the 3rd number - It was mine!

That's how I ended up with a '92 Corvette. I have since sold it to a friend.

So I have a 1979 El Camino that I found in Arizona back in 2000. I restored it, updated the drivetrain with a 305 TPI/700R4 from an '89 IROC Camaro. I try to bring it to a couple of car shows every summer.

We brought it to a car show in early June last year. The car show was selling raffle tickets for a '57 Bel Air 4-door but I didn't buy any. (we already have 5 vehicles between DW and I!) The show also entered everyone who had a registered vehicle in the show into a drawing for a 1992 Corvette. (the vehicles change every year depending on what the car show promoters can find)

So after the show, and after the regular awards were given out, they drew participants registration numbers for the Corvette with the caveat of "must be present to win." They drew the first number - Crickets. Must have left early. Then they drew the second number. Same thing except I remembered his car and I saw him leave early. Then they drew the 3rd number - It was mine!

That's how I ended up with a '92 Corvette. I have since sold it to a friend.

I LOVE this story. A car lover winning a Vette. What could be better. Well, I guess it would be better if it was a '22 C-8, but...:facepalm::LOL::cool:

I moved last year cross country, and I have just finished part one of blow that dough. I have outfitted my quilting studio or as I call it the quilt cave, but, due to a huge flareup of trigger finger in my right hand I cannot put together the stuff to finish it. But surgery is next week so things are looking up. And I just bought a new MacBook, my first one ever!

This will allow me to continue on the genealogical endeavor that I have been doing for 30 years. I am very happy where I planted myself, I am surrounded by people who love me, and life is good.

Ok - sounding like a broken record for this thread:

- lucky to have been born to an upper middle class family where mom stayed home when I was in grade school (she went to work when I was in middle school). Have state college paid for so no student debt. To have role models of a mom who was proud of the career she made when she went back to work, and a dad who was a great engineer role model inspiring me to go into the same profession. To have both parents push us (including my brother) to be well rounded - able to sew, cook, change oil on a car, do math, write an essay. No gender stereotypes - we were expected to learn to do everything. Also parents taught me frugality and a love of both camping and international travel.

Also very lucky to have been fixed up with my now husband. He was also frugal, also loved travel, had similar views on family, child rearing, and life in general. We met later (I was 37, he was 47), but have made a wonderful life together... can't imagine how my life would have turned out if I hadn't met him.

Still haven't checked my megamillions ticket - I know no one won the big jackpot, but maybe I won the $1million. LOL

Ok - sounding like a broken record for this thread:

Also very lucky to have been fixed up with my now husband. He was also frugal, also loved travel, had similar views on family, child rearing, and life in general. We met later (I was 37, he was 47), but have made a wonderful life together... can't imagine how my life would have turned out if I hadn't met him.
. LOL

DW and I had this conversation last night. Can't imagine how couples could stay together, especially in these divisive times, if they didn't share the same views on family, politics and life in general.

yesterday was Friday the 13th, and it lived up to the superstitions. Our roomie got sick and tested positive for covid, and is isolating in his motor home.
Our luck? DW and I have tested negative last night and this morning and feel fine. We are two vaccinations up on him though, with one of the covalent vaccines too. I will get more tests from the local library but am hopeful that we are good to go.

DW and I had this conversation last night. Can't imagine how couples could stay together, especially in these divisive times, if they didn't share the same views on family, politics and life in general.

So true. DW and I had a long enough courtship that we KNEW each other well. Our few disagreements became "agree to disagree." DW and I also had a talk before kids. We agreed that we'd not disagree in front of the kids. We'd back each other - even if we disagreed. Then in private we'd discuss any significant child-rearing issues. Rarely had to. The kids quickly figured out that playing one parent off against the other was futile!

I guess one could make the assertion that "luck" had little to do with it but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom