Sharing computer help

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Sharing some of my free favorite computer add-ons, and looking for suggestions from others.

1. Mercury Reader - eliminating ads, and putting web articles in a readable format. My number 1 favorite.

2. FlashPeak Slimjet - Have put this on all of my old computers. Looks and acts just like Chrome. Worked on my very old Windows XP and Vista. Works great, and avoids the no-update policy of Chrome. It's a crowd sourced program that regularly updates. Sometimes I use it on my regular computer, and forget that it's not chrome. Very close to the Chrome interface.

3. Down or Not? Is It Down Right Now? Website Down or Not? When your favorite site doesn't show... this checks if it's just you, or everybody. When interface comes up, copy/paste the non-responsive URL

4. Cookie delete for chrome... use to enter the website that has blocked your access to read an article. A one time way to get around a paywall when you just want to read one or two articles without signing your life away. Usually works when putting just a part of the URL in the search cookies space. ie. nyt, or wsj. Delete all of the shown cookies for that site only. Be careful not to delete ALL cookies.

copy/paste this into the URL space

chrome://settings/siteData

I've been using some of these for years. Search Google for the website downloads.

Last edited:
I've recently switched to Opera (from Chrome) which I'm liking a lot better especially since my data isn't being collected at mother Googleship. The switch was seamless it even brought over all my saved passwords etc from Chrome. Also has a built in VPN should I want to visit questionable sites...which I never do, of course! lol.

Last edited:
I've recently switched to Opera (from Chrome) which I'm liking a lot better especially since my data isn't being collected at mother Googleship. The switch was seamless it even brought over all my saved passwords etc from Chrome. Also has a built in VPN should I want to visit questionable sites...which I never do lol.

I recently switched as well. Very impressed.......so far

Everyone has been to amazon.com....
Have you been to alibaba.com ?

Find out what that stuff "really" costs... Just have to buy 10.

It's where those low price EBay items come from...

Great buys on bitcoin mining machines...:)

Last edited:
Alibaba is generally knock off crap. Don't believe anything that says it's a brand name. Don't trust anything that's remotely a health product, or something for a child or where safety is even remotely a concern.

Caveat Emptor applies anywhere, but should be the plastered on the home page of alibaba/aliexpress.

Never heard of Mercury reader. Sounds interesting.

A favorite goodie I found recently is Permadelete. A file shredder. Drop on icon to shred. Plus, open source.

For the most part, I use:
- Chrome
- Google apps - gmail, news, drive, docs, sheets, photos, blogger, etc, etc.
- Send to Kindle app
- iTunes
- and a lot of good bookmarks

Thanks for the recommendations.

I use these, among others (with Chrome)

The great suspender Automatically suspends unused tabs to free up system resources

Silent Site Sound Blocker Only allows sound from whitelisted sites.

I use a program called Sound Locker (windows only) that uses a slider control to limit the volume of the PC.

Program helps when I browse on a page with and ad (or Youtube) with the volume all cranked up by default.

Alibaba is generally knock off crap. Don't believe anything that says it's a brand name. Don't trust anything that's remotely a health product, or something for a child or where safety is even remotely a concern.

Caveat Emptor applies anywhere, but should be the plastered on the home page of alibaba/aliexpress.

I agree. DH ordered something from them once that we never received and the seller wouldn’t credit us. Had to dispute the charge through our credit card company. Never again!

Back
Top Bottom