Shelf life of Tires

I'll have to make sure the new tires aren't too old..

You're going to make sure before they ship, right?

Isn't that an urban myth? Remember, air is ~ 80% nitrogen already. If the other 20% actually did leak out, and you topped it off with regular air, you would be at 96% Nitrogen. A second top-off puts you at 99.2%, about as pure as the stuff in the tanks.

Good points. I didn't research it very deeply, but here's what one site ( Tampabay: Nitrogen in your tires: an inflated idea? ) said:

"Nitrogen-filled tires stay inflated about three times as long as than air-filled tires, advocates say, and while a typical tire inflated with compressed air might lose 2.7 pounds of pressure monthly, one filled with nitrogen loses 0.7 pound."

Notice that they didn't quote a source.

I wouldn't pay $10 each to have my tires inflated with nitrogen. OTOH, it does sound like they'll leak slower and there's also the fact that there will be less O2 free radicalizing/oxidizing the tire from the inside out. Some high-performance airplanes and race cars use nitrogen, but that appears to be largely an attempt to reduce the risk/consequences of a wheel/brake fire.

Notice that they didn't quote a source.

That's the trouble. I've seen it repeated a zillion times on this here internets, but never an actual source.

If I did lose #2.7 (on average - some worse?) per month, my tires would be noticeably low when I went for an oil change. I rarely top them off, if I need to I usually find a leak - and I don't think N would help with that.

Another common 'reason' given is that pro race car drivers use it in their tires - must be better, right? Nope. The reason pros use it is that they found a tank of N was a convenient way to run their air tools. Dry and clean, no big heavy compressor to move around, plug in and wait to come up to pressure. Hey, as long as we have this tank here, why not fill our tires, too?

Might be something to the lack of O2. I'd love to find a source for that.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Another common 'reason' given is that pro race car drivers use it in their tires - must be better, right? Nope. The reason pros use it is that they found a tank of N was a convenient way to run their air tools. Dry and clean, no big heavy compressor to move around, plug in and wait to come up to pressure. Hey, as long as we have this tank here, why not fill our tires, too?

-ERD50

What I had heard on one of the races I watch... it is because they can get the pressure more precise... their car handles differently with only a 1/4 or 1/2 lb difference... don't know why they could not do it with air, but hey, what do I know?

You're right! I've never seen a cute fuzzy bunny with a bag over its head. :)

Sorry about that bad mental imagery. I guess the good news is that theres absolutely no charge!!!

I dont have a handy rabbit with a bag on its head, how about this?

Attachments

• cat head bag.jpg
    cat head bag.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 49
You're going to make sure before they ship, right?

Nope. Won't even attempt to verify their age before I buy. My tires aren't even in the possession of discount tires right now since they are on order for their factory. If they show up at my doorstep and are "old" (over a year old), then I'll complain and ask for a partial refund, and ultimately charge back if discount tires won't make things right. They'll make things right, from all the consumer reviews I've read. BTW, Discount tires is a major chain with a ton of B&M stores around here and I also bought my DW's tires there 2 years ago with good results.

edited to add: I think there's an implied warranty of merchantability in this transaction. That is, the product should be fit for it's intended purpose. A product where a significant portion of it's life has already expired without notice prior to sale would violate the implied warranty of merchantability, thereby allowing me to repudiate the contract or seek damages.

Last edited:
Nope. Won't even attempt to verify their age before I buy. My tires aren't even in the possession of discount tires right now since they are on order for their factory. If they show up at my doorstep and are "old" (over a year old), then I'll complain and ask for a partial refund, and ultimately charge back if discount tires won't make things right. They'll make things right, from all the consumer reviews I've read. BTW, Discount tires is a major chain with a ton of B&M stores around here and I also bought my DW's tires there 2 years ago with good results.

edited to add: I think there's an implied warranty of merchantability in this transaction. That is, the product should be fit for it's intended purpose. A product where a significant portion of it's life has already expired without notice prior to sale would violate the implied warranty of merchantability, thereby allowing me to repudiate the contract or seek damages.

Don't you think that they have disclaimed any implied warranties?

Don't you think that they have disclaimed any implied warranties?

No?? Why would I think that?? I didn't see any "conspicuous" disclaimers (as required by the U.C.C) to disclaim the implied warranty of merchantability. As far as I can tell from a search of their website and purchase process, there is no disclaimer. Maybe when the tires arrive there will be some sort of contract boilerplate language which disclaims the warranty of merchantability - which is fine, I'll just cancel the contract and return the product.

Worst case, if they refuse to make things right, I'll just charge back the purchase with my credit card. But like I said earlier, all the reviews and my own past experience indicate this is a stand up company such that I won't be arguing details of the UCC w/ them.

Back
Top Bottom