Join Early Retirement Today

Shipping biodiesel to europe?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shipping biodiesel to europe?

Spill closes Miss. River, shuts off exports - Yahoo! News

"The 600-foot tanker, carrying styrene and biodiesel bound for Europe, split the 190-foot barge in half, dumping the fuel."

Uh...with diesel at $5 a gallon, we're shipping biodiesel to europe?

Next question...couldnt they have just made the boat out of the styrene and filled it with the biodiesel and floated it there?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I looked at this quick and I though it was shipping bodies to Europe ! Who ? Maybe Paris Hilton, Lindsay Loham ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thats funny. First thing I thought of when I read this article was "ok, we're shipping biodiesel overseas to other countries. Next thing I'm going to read is that we're putting all the pretty women on a barge and shoving it out to sea".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

If it was your biodiesel and you could sell it for $8.50/gal there vs. $5.00 a gal. here, what would you do?
alvarezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezg View Post
If it was your biodiesel and you could sell it for $8.50/gal there vs. $5.00 a gal. here, what would you do?
Spill it in the river?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
I saw the CEO of one of the big refiners (TSO or VLO) speaking recently, and he made a brief comment in which he said diesel was so expensive right now because so much of it was going to Europe.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah that makes sense. Decrease the level of available food convert it to fuel then sell it to Europe where we all so loved.
Works for me.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Spill it in the river?
LMFAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Yeah that makes sense. Decrease the level of available food convert it to fuel then sell it to Europe where we all so loved.
Works for me.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Aside from the part where the food stuff becomes hideously expensive.

So whats the deal...are we all paying higher food and fuel prices so someone can make a buck? That is when they dont dump it in the river by accident?!?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Sell it here and avoid the $4/gal of taxes you pay by sending it to Europe.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Works for me.
That's good ol' US capitalism. Goods and services flow to those that are willing to pay the most for it. The worst economic system there is except for all the others

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I saw the CEO of one of the big refiners (TSO or VLO) speaking recently, and he made a brief comment in which he said diesel was so expensive right now because so much of it was going to Europe.
2B suggested in another thread that current high diesel prices are a result of first the government decreased the allowable sulfur content in diesel and second many of the refiners failed to invest in additional hydrofining capacity (hydrofining removes the sulfur) to meet the new low sulfur requirements.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote