Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh, I'm sure it was sherry trifle, and really the best I ever had.

Whitby was a delightful seaside town and the abbey ruins spectacular - what a view! It was cooooooold even in July with that wind coming in off the North Sea, but we totally enjoyed our visit. Venders were out selling cockles - I wasn't brave enough to try those.

The biggest conflict we had with the British culture was wanting our coffee WITH our dessert, not afterwards, LOL! It just seemed so odd to our waiters.
We love Whitby and had many day trips there last year. Cockles are very similar to mussels so if you don't like mussels you won't like cockles.

When we first came to the USA we sat in our hotel that first evening and ordered dinner. The side salad came out and we sat there for ages waiting for the main course to arrive. It was only through observing other guests that we realized that Americans eat their side salads before the main course instead of WITH it.

Two cultures separated with a common language.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think I ate a couple of steak and kidney pies there at the height of the mad cow problem in 1991. They didn't know it was the height of the problem at the time! I guess I would know by now if...
Bloodbanks won't take donations from anyone who lived in Britain or Europe (over a certain minimum number of months) during most of the 1980s. I've been a non-donor since the policy started up in the late 1990s.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Bloodbanks won't take donations from anyone who lived in Britain or Europe (over a certain minimum number of months) during most of the 1980s. I've been a non-donor since the policy started up in the late 1990s.
Ditto, although I never lived in Britain. Living in Western Europe in the 1980s was enough to kick me off the donor list. Even lifelong vegetarians don't qualify. The fear was the infinitesimally small risk of Creutzfeld Jakob disease from the brains of an infected Mad Cow. One English hemophiliac got it from his Factor VIII injections.

Canadian Blood Services - Société canadienne du sang - Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease - FAQ
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

This would be a good time for me to reminisce about the anticuchos in Peru. And the Lomo Saltado. Both of which were pretty much cooked to the cook's orders, not mine, but still delicious! Thanks again to MichaelB for steering me in the right direction.

Now for some pub food recommendations in Southampton and Chichester!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #45
gone traveling

As long as they don't outlaw Steak Tartare on the Continent, I'll be happy. It's a dish I've had dozens of times when w*rking and traveling there.

The only place I found it served in the U.S. was a French Bistro, a few blocks from the Capitol Building in DC.

As for hamburgers? The only time I had one was in France at a Micky D's late at night after I/DW came back from a stroll from the Arc de Triomphe since we wanted to grab a quick snack on our way back to our hotel.

I must say, it was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten . I suspect that it had less fillers than the ones you get in the States. Heck, it could have been horsemeat; it dosen't matter - it was great .

As far as the British Isles? We stick to whatever local fare is available, with Guinness.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you are ready for horse meat tartare next.

Just joking. I have not had horse meat nor donkey, but do not see what the big deal is.

I don't believe horses or donkeys are raised for meat. Rather, when the animals are old and have to be put down, instead of sending them to a glue factory, in some countries people save some edible parts for human consumption. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On top of that, it is a hypocrisy to raise other farm animals for food, while making a big deal about horse meat.

How do we sing "Mary had a little lamb" to our children at bed time, while serving a lamb rack for dinner?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How do we sing "Mary had a little lamb" to our children at bed time, while serving a lamb rack for dinner?
Mary had a little lamb
With dainty little paws
Her mother cooked it up for dinner
And served it with mint sauce
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have eaten raw beef (including burger) most days of my adult life, so maybe 8000 times without illness. It just tastes so much better.

I have found that only really expensive restaurants will serve very rare meat. Regular places only go down to about medium rare.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Mary had a little lamb
With dainty little paws
Her mother cooked it up for dinner
And served it with mint sauce

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote