Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, shoes off. It's a Swedish thing too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, shoes off. It's a Swedish thing too.
Yes, shoes off, and is also a Japanese thing.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shoes off, but not enforced with guests, even though most take off their shoes automatically. The wood floors and the carpeted upstairs are definitely cleaner than they would otherwise be. We live in SoCal where there are a lot of Asians who can sometimes be quite strict with this practice.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the present time I keep a pair of slippers to change in to here in western PA as it has been a sloppy winter. I would never ask anyone to take their shoes off when coming in to my home. However, most people do without asking if it is bad weather outside. When it is dry, I really don't care about the shoes. I live in my house, the dog has had accidents and thrown up, things have been spilled, I put down drinking glasses on antique wood surfaces, eat on the sofas, etc. I figure the house will be here long after I am dead and gone, and my son will likely donate the furnishings to St. Vincent de Paul.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I am amazed at how many of you take off your shoes when entering. We don't here (Washington, DC)s. We have hardwood floors so that may make a difference but and I can't think of anyone who routinely does. My family and friends didn't take off shoes in Chicago either.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow. I am amazed at how many of you take off your shoes when entering. We don't here (Washington, DC)s. We have hardwood floors so that may make a difference but and I can't think of anyone who routinely does. My family and friends didn't take off shoes in Chicago either.
Same here. I will put on a pair of slippers at night when I'm settled in, but normally just keep on my tennis shoes. I've got a mutt so I'm not worried about getting the house dirty, it's already that way.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

For my neighbor, it is sort of a privacy issue. Maybe she doesn't care that everyone in the building knows how many people she is entertaining by counting the shoes outside her door (and dividing by two). She keeps her own shoes in the apt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7258.jpg (568.5 KB, 0 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #28

I always kick my shoes off when I come in the house...just feels better. As for guests, I never mention their shoes to them and would feel silly doing so. There are mats outside our doors and throw rugs inside, which keeps dirt under control. We have oak floors.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

In Hawaii, where I grew up, it is customary/mandatory to remove shoes at the door when entering someone's home (as Koolau said).

I have not lived there for over 35 years, and I have tried to adapt to mainland ways. But I still take my shoes off in the house. When anyone is visiting, I don't take my shoes off, though, because it might make them feel uncomfortable.

In the winter, my feet are too cold if I am barefoot so if necessary I wear clean socks in the house. No shoes, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #30

We live in Japan, shoes come off in the genkan (entryway). Our home in California was designed with a front and backdoor genkan-like area, and there are signs at both doors (bought in Hawaii) instructing guests on this policy. Reason for 2 signs: non-relative guests show up at the front door, relatives always come to the back door as they know we use it more often.

R
Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Shoes off here too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnheff
Wow. I am amazed at how many of you take off your shoes when entering.
Me three. I know very few people here in California who remove their shoes at home. (Okay, so maybe that's a few hundred out of 30 million!) We don't remove them until bedtime, or maybe when we curl up on the couch to watch a late movie.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #33

I try to switch from my shoes to my "indoor only" lined Crocs. But if I'm going right back outside I don't. I have an old dog and cat so floors don't stay too clean but it helps. I don't say anything to visitors. I live in mountain area of So Cal.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Me three. I know very few people here in California who remove their shoes at home. (Okay, so maybe that's a few hundred out of 30 million!) We don't remove them until bedtime, or maybe when we curl up on the couch to watch a late movie.
That tallies with my experience. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. I never even heard of people taking off their shoes indoors until after I moved away from there.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Shoes off. It sure keeps the house cleaner. It is universal among my Minnesota friends who live in urban areas. Not necessarily the rural ones.

I grew up on a small farm. We would scrap the manure or mud off our boots or shoes and we were good to go. I never saw adults go shoeless in the house.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #36

I was in my 20's before I even heard of taking shoes off before entering the house. But maybe that's a Washington, DC area thing.

If they're caked with mud, sure. But in the normal course of things, no.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #37

wow. this is interesting.....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We usually take our shoes off... but we are not fanatical about it. I have a pair of comfortable slip on shoes I wear indoors. We do not expect guests to de-shoe.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So, is this a Poll... without the usual hassle?
i suppose. couldnt figure out how to incorporate geography with a yes or no
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in So Cal, and since retiring I'm shoeless 99 percent of the time. Besides saving money on shoes and socks some interesting things have happened. My feet no longer get cold, they have toughened up and I can easily walk on almost any type of surface comfortably, they've gotten wider and my balance has improved, they've become useful as a third hand-opening and closing doors-turning lights on and off-picking things up-putting on bike tires-more control driving....

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote